gentoo partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: gentoo partition Reply with quote

I have been trying to install gentoo on my new ibook. I first divided my hard disk by two and then installed mac os x on the first partition. Then divided the rest by

/dev/hda10 bootstrap
/dev/hda11 swap
/dev/hda12 /

However, it produces out the kernel panic on 'fs', even though i use the successful guys' kernel configuration.

I read other people's install guide on ibook or mac, and they all seemed to install gentoo on the first partition.

is it a problem to try to install gentoo at the end of the partition?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo partition Reply with quote

seo wrote:
is it a problem to try to install gentoo at the end of the partition?

No, it works. I've successfully installed Gentoo in between two MacOS X partitions, and in the very last one, as well.

However, if you have OS X 10.1 in that early partition, and you want to upgrade to 10.2, you might be in trouble. I just tried to upgrade my TiBook from Gentoo 1.2 to 1.4rc1 and OS X 10.1 to 10.2 using "musical partitions", where I would just install the next OS on the partition just vacated.

So I had OS X 10.1, then Gentoo 1.2, then OS X 10.2 prerelease. I wiped the Jaguar prerelease, installed Gentoo 1.4 on there when chrooted from Gentoo 1.2, and then tried to install OS X 10.2 where Gentoo 1.2 used to be. I couldn't get it to recognize the partition, so I tried to upgrade 10.1 in place. It had trouble with the "maze of little partitions at the beginning of the disk" that MacOS seems to like to put there, and apparently couldn't make new partitions, so the upgrade errored out.

This sad story has a happy ending, in that I was able to pull everything important off of OS X 10.1 and Gentoo 1.4, repartition the disk, and then put Gentoo back from a big archive. This time I went with putting Gentoo first, then an HFS partition for sharing files, and then OS X 10.2.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: