Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who looks after Gentoo/Alpha & other issues...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_markd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Who looks after Gentoo/Alpha & other issues... Reply with quote

Gentoo for Alpha seems to be in a quite miserable state at the moment...

1. On http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/ there is no release coordinator for Gentoo/Alpha.
2. The last release for alpha is 1.4-rc1 (possibly due to 1.)
3. The 2004.0 livecds lack hardware support.

Some other issues are:

Would someone be so kind and mention in the preparing disks section of the handbook, that aboot can only read ext2 partitions (I'm not satisfied with raw boot). I was *VERY* amused changing the partition setup to include a ext2 disk and recompiling the whole system.

Has anybody successfully compiled glibc with NPTL support ? I tried all compinations of gcc 3.3.2, 3.3.3, binutils 2.14.0.90.6, *.7, *.8, glibc-2.3.2, 2.3.3_*, 2.3.4_* but none worked. GCC 3.4 did also not work. With gcc-3.4 and glibc-2.3.4 I got syntax errors (can't remember the exact error now) and with glibc 2.3.3 I got the following:

Code:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-unknown-linux-gnu/3.3.2/../../../../alpha-unknown-linux-g
nu/bin/ld: /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.3_pre20040207/work/glibc-2.3.2/buildhere/l
ibc_pic.os: TLS local exec code cannot be linked into shared objects
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.3_pre20040207/work/glibc-2.3.2/buildher
e/libc.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.3_pre20040207/work/glibc-
2.3.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I was running kernel 2.6.6 with 2.6.6 headers (tried 2.6.3-r1 headers - the same thing)

My machine is a EB164SX with a 533 MHz 21164PC processor.
CFLAGS I used were:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=pca56 -mtune=pca56 -mieee -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops"
I also tried "-O2 -pipe" but it didn't help :(

Help is VERY appreciated, because I'm trying for about 2 weeks now to get NPTL on that machine (I almost switched to FreeBSD (had it already on one of the disks))

thx
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markd and thanks for your interest in Gentoo/Alpha :D

Gentoo/Alpha is currently maintained by 5 developers who are all quite busy doing other stuff as well. That said we're trying to get back on the track.

Personally I've been spending a lot of time on keywording packages - both marking packages stable as well as adding new packages to testing on alpha.

Regarding a new release - Jay Maynard has been working on rolling out a new release and I'm toying with the idea of helping him do just that. The old releases has some problems that I'd love to see fixed :)

Btw, newer versions of glibc currently causes a few headaches - the required fixes needs a few patches as well as 2.6 headers which comes with it's own set of problems. The most important problem (afaik) being very broken qlogic isp1020 support in all 2.6 kernels.

Right now I suggest staying away from nptl and newer glibc versions.
_markd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: thx for the reply Reply with quote

I wish you all the best for the new release :)
Gonna stay away from NPTL and stick with 'normal' glibc-2.3.3 and kernel 2.6.7 which work fine so far. I wanted to get NPTL working now that the machine is not in use. Later it won't be fun if the machine is compiling glibc while under load (this is going to be a cvs server) or even worse, if it successfully compiles it but installs faulty (had that situation already with some unresolved symbols in my fresh glibc install which rendered the damn box useless and I had to reinstall from stage1).
Well, I'm going to be patient - got enough exams atm anyway.

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: