Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GNUstep on Gentoo: how many of us are there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baetis -- I wasn't too sure about the version'd DEPEND's, i.e. >=gcc 3.0.4 is pretty much requisite at this point, but other than, for example, the newest stable ffcall in portage, I have no idea what versions could work ... if you happen to be using gcc 3.4.0, for e.g., and it explodes on you, stuff like that would be great feedack.

regeya -- ha, yeah, GNUstep has had a pace so slow it was hard to follow at times ... lately, though, on the gnustep lists, every so often, someone posts the first version of a new app they're working on, and i"m usually more than pleasantly surprised. Sadly, for GNUstep on UNIX /UNIX-like systems, the window manager is what seems to be lacking; most people use WindowMaker, but the "stable" version now doesn't seem it because it's a bit antiquated. There's at least two projects, InterfaceWM and WOOM, and InterfaceWM works and "does stuff", but for now Windowmaker it is. Otherwise, I think it's a testament to the design of the OPENStep (i.e. mostly Cocoa, for you mac heads) Library that makes application design so ... quick. Quick in a good way.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm uploading all the apps I'm happy with, but here is the eclass I mod'd and wrote up:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54773

here's the apps I have done:
    aclock
    addresses
    affiche
    cenon
    gnumail
    gworkspace
    terminal

... so work on others! ;-) I hope to get Preferences.app working soon. Those apps will be up soon enough.
baetis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, gorm and project center are a must. I can probably roll those up tonight. god, i can't wait to get home.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, i had those done too, but a new project center _just_ was released ... so I was gonna redo it quickly

honestly, 'cept for Documentation, you may not even have to write a lick of ebuild code because of the eclass :-) At the momement, Documentation is kind of .... meh, poorly implemented, imho. But only enough to annoy me, and nothng bad.

Definitely read the make and base docs if you don't know about the ways in which GNUstep is simiarl to OPENstep, and where stuff should go (filesystem.ps is good for this).

awesome good to know someone else out there is happy about this too!
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at this point, here's what searching for "ALL gnustep" on bugs.gentoo.org front page returns relevant to my quest to bring modern GNUstep to Gentoo:
    54740 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-base/gnustep-env-0.1.0.ebuild (New Package)
    54741 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-base/gnustep-make-1.9.2 (New and Updated package).
    54743 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-base/gnustep-base-1.9.2 (New and Updated package).
    54747 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-base/gnustep-gui-0.9.3 (New and Updated package).
    54748 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-base/gnustep-back-xlib-0.9.3 (New Package)
    54749 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-base/gnustep-back-art-0.9.3 (New Package)
    54752 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-extra/artresources-0.1.2 (New Package)
    54773 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW eclass for gnustep (New and Updated)
    54776 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-extra/pantomime-1.2.0_pre20040616 (New and Improved)
    54780 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW app-gnustep/gnumail-1.2.0_pre20040616 (New and Improved)
    54786 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW gnustep-extra/cenon-library-3.60.2.ebuild (New package)
    54791 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW app-gnustep/cenon-3.60 (New package)
    54793 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW app-gnustep/terminal-0.9.5_pre20040616 (New and Improved)
    54795 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW app-gnustep/aclock-0.1.0 (New and Improved)
    54796 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW app-gnustep/addresses-0.4.5 (New package)
    54798 enh P2 All gnustep@gentoo.org NEW app-gnustep/affiche/affiche-0.6.0 (New and Improved)

I'll get those dev apps banged out once I flesh out their build and runtime dependancies.

You may (or may not) notice gworkspace is missing at the moment. It's going through an insanely transitional perioud right now ... I figure if it's needed soon, we'll just add the last "stable" release ... but it's gotten so much slicker since then. ;-)

Oh, and not that I expect an insane rush, but the cvs pull&tar ebuilds (the *_pre-XXXXYYZZ ebuilds) are on my server at the moment, please, hammer it softly and lovingly.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got ProjectCenter.app and Gorm.app up there as well. Looks like Gorm.app has a bug when you try to "Quit Anyways" from an unsaved project ... I'll report the bug and/or see if cvs already has a fix for it, and make another release.

What a day. I'm going home now.

I'm going to work on doing somehting with GWorkspace (see my other comments), and then Preferences.app, I think. I'd like to get the user environment as awesome as can be before cramming too many apps into there. ;-)
wglwill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your work on these ebuilds.
I've run through all of the base ebuilds as well as project center and gorm and I'm having some issues getting them to run. I emerged gnustep-make, gnustep-base, gnustep-gui, gnustep-back-xlib, gnustep-env, gorm and project center and all ebuilds completed succesfully.

I added /etc/init.d/gnustep to my default run level and also executed the script
Code:
. /etc/init.d/gnustep start
after this I ran the appropriate helper scripts you included and they executed succesfully, reporting no errors. I ran etc-update and ldconfig after all of this.

Now the problem comes when I try to run either gorm or projectcenter to test if everything was succesful. When I attempt to run projectcenter I get the following error:
Code:

will@hal ProjectCenter.app $ ./ProjectCenter
./ProjectCenter: error while loading shared libraries: libProjectCenter.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I look into the terminal history of the emerge I can find that libProjectCenter.so.0 is indeed being compiled, but I can't find a line in the installation phase that shows libProjectCenter.so.0 being copied to the installation directory. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

Now gorm gets a little farther but it still doesn't launch. This is the output I get when I try to run it.
Code:

will@hal Gorm.app $ ./Gorm
2004-06-23 06:54:08.179 Gorm[29325] Warning - mouse/pointer seems to have more than 5 buttons - just using one to five
2004-06-23 06:54:08.379 Gorm[29325] File NSData.m: 153. In readContentsOfFile Open (/home/will/GNUstep/Library/Fonts/Cache/:0.0) attempt failed - No such file or directory
2004-06-23 06:54:08.379 Gorm[29325] No font cache available - building new one - this may take several seconds (or minutes on a slow machine with lots of fonts)
2004-06-23 06:54:08.381 Gorm[29325] Running /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/font_cacher
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Value in failed request:  0x3a014e0
  Serial number of failed request:  21776
  Current serial number in output stream:  21777
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Value in failed request:  0x3c014e0
  Serial number of failed request:  21776
  Current serial number in output stream:  21777
2004-06-23 06:55:46.231 Gorm[29325] File NSData.m: 153. In readContentsOfFile Open (/home/will/GNUstep/Library/Fonts/Cache/:0.0) attempt failed - No such file or directory
2004-06-23 06:55:46.231 Gorm[29325] Error - font cache doesn't exist
2004-06-23 06:55:46.973 Gorm[29325] XGFont: selected font: Helvetica at 12.000000 ((nil)) is not available.
2004-06-23 06:55:46.973 Gorm[29325] The font specified for NSFont, Helvetica, can't be found.
2004-06-23 06:55:46.973 Gorm[29325] XGFont: selected font: Helvetica at 12.000000 ((nil)) is not available.

... <edited for length, many more similar lines follow> ...

2004-06-23 06:55:47.520 Gorm[29325] XGFont: selected font: Fixed at 12.000000 ((nil)) is not available.
Segmentation fault

I'm not really sure what's going on, I'm just trying to get into using gnustep for the first time, any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks again, the ebuilds seem to be working well, I just need to figure out how to get my configuration right :)
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent! thanks for trying out these ebuilds ...

Take a look in /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools ... this is were the non-graphical utilities live. Probably the most important one is "openapp". From any Terminal, or launcher, you can execute:
Code:
openapp NameOfProg
... you don't need the .app extension, but if you start to write apps, and build a AppName.debug version, you will need to run
Code:
debugapp NameOfProg.app/.debug

So, for Gorm and ProjectCenter, just run:
Code:
openapp Gorm
openapp ProjectCenter

The dock in WindowMaker plays very nice with GNUstep -- it was designed to do so. It can make you life a little easier so you can just click the AppIcon. But, as I posted earlier, GWorkspace is/can taking over a lot of this functionality, and I think it's the way to go .... a new release should be out soon/cvs should have compeletion of this soonish, so I'm working on it.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... oh, and if you want
Code:
emerge gnustep-back-art
... I find the art backend a little nicer on the eyes .... i like the stuff I read to use anti-alias'd text ... coding I like normal crisp text though.

That emerge depends on libart_lgpl and gnustep-extra/artresources, and you'll have to run the script change to using that backend, but this is just personal preference, back-xlib works just as well, and it's probaby the most thoroughly tested.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... *sigh* and I keep wanting to make a gnustep-howto for gentoo once these ebuilds get in portage, but heres the relevenant portion of my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
xscreensaver -no-splash &

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools/gpbs

openapp Affiche &
openapp Terminal &

exec wmaker

you'll need to launch gpbs like I have there, and source the GNUstep.sh. Putting this into my .xinitrc simply makes the whole process easier.
wglwill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using openapp as you suggested as well as executing the commands in your sample script at the shell, but I still receive the same errors.
Thanks for the tip on the back-art vs xlib, I didn't really know what the difference was so I just picked it, I'll probably go with art since I also like AA fonts.

Edit: I've done some further investigation and as far as I can tell the projectcenter ebuild isn't installing any shared objects, for me anyways. I ran
Code:
emerge -B dev-gnustep/projectcenter
to build a binary package and get an idea of exactly what it's trying to install and in the Library/Libraries directory all that is there is two sym links to .so's that are supposed to be in the Framework directory but it's empty. If you want I can show you a full directory listing of the package.

Last edited by wglwill on Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's your output from:
Code:
qpkg -I|grep gnustep

and
Code:
ls /usr/local/portage/*/*gnustep*

and just to understand, from no particular directory, from the CLI, you ran
Code:
openapp ProjectCenter
and it bombed in the same exact way?

Yeah, i definitely need to put together a quick howto on this for people :-)

Make sure to source the GNUstep.sh first (which is why I have it load first when X starts):
. /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
--> i.e. "source it" ... make sure to have the <period><space> in front there
wglwill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Scratch Gorm, I got it working after emerging back-art like you suggested :) still no projectcenter though

Code:

bash-2.05b$ qpkg -I|grep gnustep
dev-gnustep/gorm *
dev-gnustep/projectcenter *
gnustep-base/gnustep-base *
gnustep-base/gnustep-env *
gnustep-base/gnustep-gui *
gnustep-base/gnustep-make *
gnustep-extra/artresources *

Code:

bash-2.05b$ ls /usr/local/portage/*/*gnustep*
/usr/local/portage/eclass/gnustep.eclass

/usr/local/portage/gnustep-base/gnustep-back-art:
Manifest  files  gnustep-back-art-0.9.3.ebuild

/usr/local/portage/gnustep-base/gnustep-back-xlib:
Manifest  files  gnustep-back-xlib-0.9.3.ebuild

/usr/local/portage/gnustep-base/gnustep-base:
Manifest  files  gnustep-base-1.9.2.ebuild

/usr/local/portage/gnustep-base/gnustep-env:
Manifest  files  gnustep-env-0.1.0.ebuild

/usr/local/portage/gnustep-base/gnustep-gui:
Manifest  files  gnustep-gui-0.9.3.ebuild

/usr/local/portage/gnustep-base/gnustep-make:
Manifest  files  gnustep-make-1.9.2.ebuild

Yes just using openapp ProjectCenter gives me that error. And I always source the script with a dot space slash.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- okay, you're using the new eclass, good.
- there's no gnustep-back installed.
--> check https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54748
--+--> add "virtual/gnustep-back gnustep-base/gnustep-back-xlib" to /etc/make.profile/virtuals
--+--> the idea with that was when someone did "emerge -pv gnustep-env" they'd get the default backend
- "ls -l /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/ProjectCenter.framework/ls /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/ProjectCenter.framework/Versions/Current/libProjectCenter.so*" should show the one actual library all those links point to
- you source the GNUstep.sh, and then "openapp ProjectCenter" from that same terminal you source the file it? Just asking, as the entire environment won't be updated, just the terminal you source the file in (again, starting it in your .xinitrc is a good idea)
- you don't have to be in the /usr/GNUstep/System/Applications directory or anything it should (and here does) "just work"

don't fret, we'll get it going :-)
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

I've added a patch for gnustep-base that offers support for libffi ... I did this becuase it as brought to my attention that ffcall uses mprotect in a way that makes the security people very sad. :cry:

You can get that patch for the ebuild, and the new ebuild here:

The gnustep-base stuf is here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54743

And the "new" libffi is here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54930
wglwill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
--+--> add "virtual/gnustep-back gnustep-base/gnustep-back-xlib" to /etc/make.profile/virtuals

I already have this line.

I don't have a /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks directory, could this have to do with the fact that the ebuild is not generating any files for that path? As I mentioned in the binary package I built for projectcenter the Frameworks directory is empty.

Quote:
you source the GNUstep.sh, and then "openapp ProjectCenter" from that same terminal you source the file it? Just asking, as the entire environment won't be updated, just the terminal you source the file in

Yes, and just to be on the safe side I also source the file and reemerged it in the same shell then ran it from the same shell and nothing different.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm heading off from work, but I'll get on this when I get home (35 minutes if smokey can't catch me!)

I don't think this is a major problem ... it's likely something I may have missed, so i should be able to recreate it tonight, when I recompile to test new ebuilds.

... and make sure you get a backend installed and configured, or nothing going to run very well ;-)
wglwill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the backend is working ok. I have the correct line in my virtuals file, I also was sure to run the appropriate post install script to switch to the back end, and also Gorm is working with nice anti aliased fonts.

PS Would you possibly like to work this out over irc? That might be a bit more efficient and faster, then I can post any solutions or chat logs back here for anyone that is silently following along with a similar issue. I'm currently idling on freenode with nick wglwill, drop me a query if you wish.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else has tested the ebuilds, especially ProjectCenter, can you let me know if it worked out for you?

It wasn't working out for wglwill, because an issue I'd thought I'd addressed concerning GNUMakefile's using tar to copy, basically to avoid permissions issues and such on symlinks, but then it exploding in the sandbox.

try export
Code:
TAR_OPTIONS="--no-same-owner" emerge ProjectCenter
if it fails for you at first. I cannot recreate this bug. I also have the sneaking suspicion that I need to put this directly into the eclass, rather than just from the command line, but then again, i cannot recreate the bug.

If it is recreatable, please send me a portage install log ( you can turn it on in make.conf). If you also build a binary package, the output from
Code:
tar tjvf package.tbz2
would be great as well.
baetis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I haven't yet tried them out. I have everything installed and working and am just waiting till i have some time to unmerge everything and use all your stuff. I'll do it soon.

thanks again.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone is testing, please send bugs reports! Also, please post or send what architectures you are running on. Thanks

I'm doing two things at the moment besides writing more ebuilds:
- I'm putting together short-term documentation to use these ebuilds
- I'm putting together a tar of my latest ebuilds and all related files that hopefully one will be able to just untar, and have everything get going.

Help me help you help GNUstep on Gentoo.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at the gnustep website a couple of times, but haven't tried it. I used Windowmaker on Sparc hardware in late 2000-2001, but switched to Gnome. My major complaint about Windowmaker were the icons and "launch bar." Are those two pieces mostly the same?

I don't like Gnome's direction, so I'm searching (unsuccessfully) for a new environment. I'll give it a whirl.

plate wrote:
Unfortunately, the attitude towards Gentoo isn't very friendly with some of the GNUstep crowd:
Gürkan Sengün wrote:
SuSE/Novell, RedHat/Fedora and Gentoo are no better, they are not supporting or mentioning GNUstep.

But I guess they can't really be blamed for the Gentooistas' lack of attention for GNUstep.
I personally find it funny and very descriptive of a person's character when they blame others for their failings.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious about the "addwrite /root/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults.lck" line in the ebuild. I'm not fond of stuff being put where it isn't needed. Will gnustep not work without that? Seems odd that anything would need to be in /root.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely grok that "feeling" you get when you just "need" a new DE.

After KDE1.X back when, I pretty much ran a windowmanager with lots of applications supporting it for years. ROX-filer is a godsend to windowmanagers like blackbox and such, imho.

GNUstep definitely isn't a DE, I gotta stress that. It's solely an application framework ... but in this same breathe, I should say that people are already working on the usual slew of DE apps. So it is ... it just isn't officially.

I'd just like to avoid the silly arguments that likely will happen if my GNUstep stuff ever gets into portage (see my previous posts for my attempts to contact the seemingly Masonic devs ... ASK1,2B1). If a user says "But GNOME has this...." it's hard to to say "yeah, you're right".

And yeah ... WM's icon's and the Dock. It's a really great recreation of NeXT and OPENStep, and took that place of any DE apps that are base on GNUstep before they were completed. GWorkspace would be the one to look at for that. GNUstep people get kind of .... itchy ... about the topic of the "Look and Feel" ... they really wanted to create an implementation of OPENstep, and are suceeding. However, I sense there is a movement to modernize Apps, now that OPENstep is years long gone, and OS X is rather pretty. GWorkspace in CVS has a Dock to replace WM's that is OS X in principle ... not as pretty as engage yet (seriiously, engage is some sick shit), but it's planned to work as one would logically expect a OPENstep based DE to likely act.

Quote:
pjp wrote:
Quote:
plate wrote:
Unfortunately, the attitude towards Gentoo isn't very friendly with some of the GNUstep crowd:
Quote:
Gürkan Sengün wrote:
SuSE/Novell, RedHat/Fedora and Gentoo are no better, they are not supporting or mentioning GNUstep.

But I guess they can't really be blamed for the Gentooistas' lack of attention for GNUstep.

I personally find it funny and very descriptive of a person's character when they blame others for their failings.

weird...._seriously_ 5 minutes ago I wrote the maintainer of the GNUstep LIVE CD, and the author of that webpage and that statement concerning that statement...and yeah, I feel that same way. Heck, I'm trying to get things into Gentoo! I wonder if it's just a pity cry, or something bitter that gets weird when translated from ... whatever language .nu 's country defaults to.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone requested this for the new GNUstep on Gentoo setup I'm doing, so:
Renaissance ebuild can be found here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55178

... so at this point, you gotta download a lot of stuff from bugs.gentoo.org to get GNUstep going with these. I'm working on it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fafhrd wrote:
... so at this point, you gotta download a lot of stuff from bugs.gentoo.org to get GNUstep going with these. I'm working on it.
Any chance you could post some steps on the minimum files needed to get a basic setup running? I tried quite a bit without luck. I started off trying to use a gnustep-base directory, then switched to trying dev-utils (in /usr/local/portage).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: