View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Trouble Installing GNOME Themes [SOLVED] Reply with quote

there were a lot of threads turned up in a search, but couldn't find the answer to this question.

i downloaded 2 themes from art.gnome.org that just returned to the web in bz2 and gz format and tried to install them via the following:

1. using the GNOME themes manager (GNOME ver is 2.6) - this did nothing, and the themes did not show in the themes manager
2. same process as above, but drag and drop - same results
3. untarring files, attempting to ./configure/make/make install them - didn't work
4. taking untarred theme directory structures and dropping them into /usr/share/themes

so far nothing has worked and i do not have access to the themes.

anybody have any thoughts on how to make this work?

Last edited by sog on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikehild
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "did not show in the themes manager," are you referring to the just main screen that lists a bunch of themes with mini-screenshots, etc.? Or have you checked in the Theme Details dialog box whether they show up in there, under the individual "Controls" and/or "Window Borders" sections?
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mikehild, thx for the reply. apologies for not being more specific - i did mean both. the main themes window doesn't show GORILLA, nor does the icons subcategory. ditto for industrial with window borders and controls.

basically, the themes aren't showing anywhere in the themes manager UI.
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I would point out.

1) When you install a theme into the theme manager, it has been my experience that it will not show up until you close the theme manager and open it again.

2) Some themes aren't full themes. Sometimes they only specify Window borders, or controls. In this case, the way to use them is to hit the "Customize" button on the theme manager. Then look in the lists on the various tabs to see if you can find what you installed. If you create a custom theme that is a mixture of controls, borders, and icons, make sure to save the custom theme (button on main page of the theme manager).

I know that theme manager is hardly intuitive. I'm not sure what the HIG requires, but it must not require "usability" if the theme manager qualifies.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx dmartin.

re: point 1, it's a good suggestion, but i've even restarted the box and they're still not displaying. so don't think that's the problem.

re: point 2, this initially confused me, but i did eventually pick up on that. i got the gorilla icons, for example, and attempted to install them, yet when i try to customize a theme and look in the Icons tab, gorilla still isn't displaying properly.

but yes, i think the theme manager in general could use some work - irrespective of this issue that i'm having.
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a wild guess....Themes get installed into your user profile in a folder under .gnome or a similar folder (I'm at work, so I can't be more specific from memory). Could it be that this folder isn't being created, or even worse that the permissions are keeping it from being written to?
wheerdam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing GTK/Control themes in Ghome is a mess, the "Install Theme..." button in the theme manager hardly works as expected, I never bothered to change the icon themes. But for Metacity themes, all you have to do is extract the file to ~/.themes, it'll show up in the themes manager.

For controls, usually I extract the theme, use the Install Theme... button and restart your session to make it appear in the list :/
psofa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can u plz try another theme and see if it works? if i recall correctly i was trying for ages to load the gorilla icon theme and it was corrupted :P
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i got part way there, thanks to everyone's help. extracting the industrial-gentoo to the themes directory worked, that one is now showing up.

as for icons, however, i still can't get gorilla or cool gorilla from art.gnome.org to display in the icon toolbar.

it could be as psofa suggested, that the file's corrupt, but the archive opens properly and does include a hell of a lot of SVG icons.

any thought? would love to get gorilla working.

thanks for all the help so far.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it.

basically it's as simple as dropping the untarred directories into the right directories.

it's /user/share/themes for regular, full themes and
/user/share/icons for icon themes.

did it for a few thus far and they're all showing now.

thx for all the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: