View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Acrobat Reader plugin, Mozilla, and Gcc 3.2 Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten the acrobat reader plugin to work with mozilla and a gcc 3.2 system.

I've been digging through the forums for 40 minutes or so and found lots of "search the forums cause there are other threads about this" but couldn't actually find those threads.

I have gnome 2, mozilla 1.1-r1, and acroread 5.06-r1 all installed from portage over a gentoo 1.4 system. The plugin file (nppdf.so) was only installed in the /opt/netscape directory, I figured that mozilla probably read that directory too but just in cause I made a symlink to the plugin file in the mozilla plugin directory (/usr/lib/mozilla). In mozilla if I click on help->About Plugins it says no plugins are installed.

It seems like maybe this has something to do with Gcc 3.2. I used emerge to get acroread though so if that doesn't compile it from source I don't know what would, I haven't been able to find the source for it on adobes site (not surprisingly).

Has anyone figured this out? If you're going to refer to another thread please include a link to it.

Thanks,
xpfx
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Got it Reply with quote

Emerging mozilla 1.1-r1 without the gtk2 flag did the trick. Don't know why but now flash and acrobat work (hopefully java as well).

cd /usr/portage/net-www/mozilla
export USE=-gtk2
emerge mozilla-1.1-r1.ebuild

peace yo,
xpfx
nmr_spectrometer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: yep works for me too! Reply with quote

I got the shockwave-flash, acroread, and java plugins working. Java was a pain, I had to:

emerge unmerge openmotif
follow this guy's instructions to compile sun's java j2sdk
copy the /etc/env.d/java/20sun-jdk-1.4.0 (from the "emerge sun-jdk") to a new file, edit it to specify the new j2sdk location, and run "java-config --set-system-vm=j2sdk ; env-update ; source /etc/profile"
emerge openmotif (I guess java apps use these openmotif widgets!?)

THEN
export USE=-gtk2 ; emerge mozilla-1.1-r1.ebuild

Note: about:plugins in Mozilla 1.1 only reports the sun-j2sdk-1.4.0 plugin for java (as well as flash and pdf), although there symlinks in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for both blackdown-jre and sun-jdk. However, Mozilla might only look at the java plugin in $JAVA_HOME (which was for the hand-built j2sdk). I could try using java-config to change the environment (or just export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/whatever)... that might be interesting.

But I've got Mozilla 1.1 with java, flash, and acroread plugins working. OpenOffice.Org 1.0.1 also seems to run without problems.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmr : which script did you used to build java because it look like from the thread none of them works ....
nmr_spectrometer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_SkeLeToN_ wrote:
nmr : which script did you used to build java because it look like from the thread none of them works ....

Yes the script works, the one in the second post on the first page. You can't just run it though, check out some of the variables in the beginning and you'll see that it's looking for java sources and patches in a specific directory. You'll have to download them yourself (due to Sun's licensing) and then put them into some directory. The script just follows the "javafromscratch" hint on the linux from here, so you can also read that page to figure out what is going on. I think applying the patches specified in the hint is important to get the compilation of java to work; I followed it exactly and neither the script nor executing the lines from the hint by hand caused any problems. My issue was with getting the java plugin to work in Mozilla 1.1, and I recompiled java three times (not a little task when it takes four hours) before I tried re-emerging Mozilla with the USE=-gtk2 flag which made all plugins (java, flash, nppdf) work.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thx the only problem I found the source for java but I can't seems to find the 3-4 patch that the script is looking can you point me out on the url plz ?
nmr_spectrometer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the java from scratch hint, it does specify the location of the patches.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thx for the link I got everything to compile but one last question about the script. (second one)
Quote:

cd $SRC
for F in $SOURCES/j2sdk-1_4_0*.zip; do
unzip $F;
done

this section I dont understand there is no zip file .... they are all bz2 file ... and I dont think he is looking for patch file because at the end he extract those file ...

so what exactly is that portion of code ....
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

unzip: cannot find /root/build/java_patch/j2sdk-1_4_0*.zip, /root/build/java_patch/j2sdk-1_4_0*.zip.zip or /root/build/java_patch/j2sdk-1_4_0*.zip.ZIP.

No zipfiles found.
can't find file to patch at input line 4
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -ur Build-j2sdk-1.4.0.orig/hotspot/src/share/vm/c1/c1_FrameMap.hpp Build-j2sdk-1.4.0/hotspot/src/share/vm/c1/c1_FrameMap.hpp
|--- Build-j2sdk-1.4.0.orig/hotspot/src/share/vm/c1/c1_FrameMap.hpp 2002-02-12 07:53:20.000000000 -0600
|+++ Build-j2sdk-1.4.0/hotspot/src/share/vm/c1/c1_FrameMap.hpp 2002-09-09 15:35:39.000000000 -0500
--------------------------
File to patch:

Why is he asking which file to patch ???? and I get the erro for the zip file ... which I don't know which one he is looking for.
nmr_spectrometer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_SkeLeToN_ wrote:
ok thx for the link I got everything to compile but one last question about the script. (second one)
Code:

cd $SRC
for F in $SOURCES/j2sdk-1_4_0*.zip; do
   unzip $F;
done

this section I dont understand there is no zip file .... they are all bz2 file ... and I dont think he is looking for patch file because at the end he extract those file ...

so what exactly is that portion of code ....

those j2sdk-1_4_0*.zip files are the source files that you download from sun. put them AND the patches (which are .bz2'ed) in $SOURCES and it should unpack normally.

re: your second post: it's probably asking what file to patch because it couldn't unzip the sun sources to patch them.
_SkeLeToN_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know sun's make it so difficult to download those thing fuck.

I register I got the point where I can download the package but wait THERE IS NO DOWNLOAD button dah ... hate this shit
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: