View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fava
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Strange problem with kde3 beta2 Reply with quote

I have a strange problem with kde3 beta2.

I have a dual monitor configuration. The desktop on the left monitor is perfect. On the right desktop I have a normal desktop with normal icons and a normal menu. Whenever I start a program on that display things become decidly non normal.

The windows open without a title bar, so I cant drag the window across the desktop and there are no minimize, maxamize or close buttons. As well the upper left corner of the window is about 1/3 of the way across the screen and about 1/3 of the way down, the botton and right side of the windows are off the creen and in accessable.

No I dont have a virtual screen set to a different size

Restarting the system (a la windows) did not fix the problem.

Deleted my ~/Desktop1 directory and allowing kde to regenerate it doesnt work.

Looking through all the config files in my home directory does not reveal anything usefull. Likewise the config files in /usr/kde/3.1/ were rather uninformative.

Trying to login as root or as a new user created for the purpose gives me a 'Session Menu' and a 'ChoseSessionListWidget' item, selecting anything results in a grey patterned background but no KDE.

I am at a loss, any suggentions?

Fred Van Andel
fava
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like replying to my own posts but this is getting stranger.

I unmerged both kde 3.03 and kde 3.1 beta2 and then re emerged kde3.1 beta2 and the problem went away. Great. Then I logged out of my normal account and logged into root to do some maintenance, still ok. But when I logged back into my normal account I have exactly the same problem again.

This is beginning to get to me.

Fred Van Andel
fava
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am replying to myself (again) with the solution in the hope it might help someone else.

After re-emerging I found that I could login under a new account without a 'ChoseSessionListWidget' error. So I created a test account and everything worked as is should.

By comparing my broken /home/fava/.kde3.1/share/config directory with the unbroken /home/test/.kde3.1/share/config I found that the working version of ksmserverrc contained the lines:
Code:
restartCommand1=kwin,-session,XXX,-smkey,XXX,-display,:0.0
restartCommand2=kwin,-session,XXX,-smkey,XXX,-display,:0.1

XXX = long numbers removed for space reasons.

The broken version of the file does not contain the second line which contains -display,:0.1. I shut down kde and copied the ksmserverrc file and the /session directory over to my main account and edited a few lines (not shown) to correct the path name and everything works after restarting kde.

The ksmserverrc file contains session information about what is running and is updates whenever you exit. For some reason the window manager (kwin) did not update this file for the second desktop, and therefore the window manager was not starting for the secondary display.

I am glad thats over with.

Fred Van Andel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: