Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
http://funroll-loops.org/
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 454
Location: the third world

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
3. I don't see how teaching yourself doesn't allow you to actually know it. I already know quite a bit of basic Japanese.
Self teaching is grand. I was just curious about the motivation for learning japanese.
_________________
At some stage, the Hindus locked on to the nation destroying concepts like ahimsa (non-violence), shanti (peace), satya (truth) — the ‘ass’ syndrome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3057
Location: Redmond, WA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Their love songs must be funny
A German love song? That sounds like an oxymoron to me :lol:

The only kind of music that I can imagine being sung in German is angry metal.
Tool had a song that was in German and they made it sound all evil yet it was describing a cookie recipe that one of the band member's grandmother made which happened to have no eggs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
srunni wrote:
If English isn't a language, I don't even want to think about what German is.
it's how you talk if you want to order someone around. Their love songs must be funny

German is good for two things only:

1. Heavy metal lyrics
2. S&M porn dialog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenobok
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 199
Location: Germany, Karlsruhe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German is a great language. It took me many years to realize it because German schools use their German lessons to torture students instead of showing them that using the language properly can be fun. I like German for its complexity and countless ways to express something. It may sound aggressive or strange to some people, but I don't care - No one forces them to use it (Yeah - I know that we tried ;) ).
_________________
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bloodsurfer
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 359
Location: Germany (Saarland)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Tool had a song that was in German and they made it sound all evil yet it was describing a cookie recipe that one of the band member's grandmother made which happened to have no eggs.

Which song was that?
_________________
SiberianSniper: my girlfriend's name ends with .c
Clete2: Uber geek! W00t! I'd rather have it end in .cpp... <insert name>.cpp
Dralnu: ...why not <name>.o? Then she's ready for linking...
SiberianSniper: or <name>.ko, so she's ready for insertion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 454
Location: the third world

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodsurfer wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
Tool had a song that was in German and they made it sound all evil yet it was describing a cookie recipe that one of the band member's grandmother made which happened to have no eggs.

Which song was that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Eier_Von_Satan
_________________
At some stage, the Hindus locked on to the nation destroying concepts like ahimsa (non-violence), shanti (peace), satya (truth) — the ‘ass’ syndrome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
Bloodsurfer wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
Tool had a song that was in German and they made it sound all evil yet it was describing a cookie recipe that one of the band member's grandmother made which happened to have no eggs.

Which song was that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Eier_Von_Satan


And that's the same reason while heavy metal will never be sung in Thai or Chinese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenobok wrote:
German is a great language. It took me many years to realize it because German schools use their German lessons to torture students instead of showing them that using the language properly can be fun. I like German for its complexity and countless ways to express something. It may sound aggressive or strange to some people, but I don't care - No one forces them to use it (Yeah - I know that we tried ;) ).
Damn! What's this? A German with a sense of humour :lol: :P
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
srunni wrote:
If English isn't a language, I don't even want to think about what German is.
it's how you talk if you want to order someone around. Their love songs must be funny

German is good for two things only:

1. Heavy metal lyrics
2. S&M porn dialog


German is a great language for heavy metal. Its close enough to grunting, they don't need to scream to make it sound bad.
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
srunni wrote:
...

codergeek42 wrote:
...

Do the two of you know some japanese/korean or is it one of those "self-teaching myself japanese because I like anime ^_^" things?
I'm formally studying Japanese in college. Once I get my BSc (Comp Sci), my goal is to go back and study linguistics, specializing in foreign language studies, especially Spanish and Japanese. I strive to one day be fluently trilingual (at least ;)), but not simply know how to use the language's grammar, but why the language grammar is the way it is. (For example, the heritage of Kanji is that they were nearly all borrowed as-is from Chinese, so many of their readings are based on a transposition of sorts from that Chinese pronunciation to the Japanese phonology. That's quite nifty IMHO!)

One thing I love so much about foreign languages is that quite often (especially with Japanese and other East Asian languages), the culture and language are so intertwined that each one will define aspects of the other. For example, in japanese, nearly half of all verb conjugation and adjective inflection, as well as many choices of vocabulary or honorifics (敬語, Hiragana: けいご, Romaji: "keigo") is based entirely on formality and level of respect between the speaker and the audience or person to whom is being spoken.

As srunni mentioned (and which I will wholeheartedly agree with), Japanese is also classified by many as one of the most difficult languages for an adult native English-speaker to learn (along with Korean, Arabic, and Chinese), and it's this aspect of being so completely different from what I already know of my fluency in English and Spanish that makes it such a challenge and so intriguing.

However, I will admit that my love for anime is a driving force behind choosing to study Japanese instead of Mandarin Chinese or Korean or other languages. (I think I'd also love to learn Latin, due to its more-or-less unambiguous grammar; but it's those myriad of rules that would probably make me hate it the minute I start studying it.)
_________________
~~ Peter: Brony, GNU/Linux geek, caffeine addict, and Free Software advocate.
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 139
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
bunder wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
Or the "OMG I'M GOING SO FUCKING FAST!!!" bugreport.


holy cow, i'm totally going to fast <slip> ahh, fuck! :lol: :lol: :lol:


lol


BTW, where is this from? It's hilarious.
_________________
Joe Mulloy | http://twitter.com/jdmulloy | Ron Paul in 2012! | 5-1-07 | Unban Playfool | Fire your "Too big to fail" bank http://moveyourmoney.info
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
bunder wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
Or the "OMG I'M GOING SO FUCKING FAST!!!" bugreport.


holy cow, i'm totally going to fast <slip> ahh, fuck! :lol: :lol: :lol:


lol


BTW, where is this from? It's hilarious.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

Might be that
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

Might be that

That bug report is immortal, it should be written into the bible :D
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

Might be that

That bug report is immortal, it should be written into the bible :D

Its one of the few sites I have bookmarked just to keep up with it. Its funny on so many levels.
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 139
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
AidanJT wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

Might be that

That bug report is immortal, it should be written into the bible :D

Its one of the few sites I have bookmarked just to keep up with it. Its funny on so many levels.


Sorry for the confusion. I know about the bug report, I meant the cartoon.
_________________
Joe Mulloy | http://twitter.com/jdmulloy | Ron Paul in 2012! | 5-1-07 | Unban Playfool | Fire your "Too big to fail" bank http://moveyourmoney.info
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
AidanJT wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

Might be that

That bug report is immortal, it should be written into the bible :D

Its one of the few sites I have bookmarked just to keep up with it. Its funny on so many levels.


Sorry for the confusion. I know about the bug report, I meant the cartoon.


Its still a funny bug report
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4140
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Best src code comment evar! Reply with quote

http://code.google.com/p/xee/source/browse/trunk/XeePhotoshopLoader.m?spec=svn28&r=11
line 107 onwards
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1452
Location: Looking over your shoulder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best src code comment evar! Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
http://code.google.com/p/xee/source/browse/trunk/XeePhotoshopLoader.m?spec=svn28&r=11
line 107 onwards
Reminds me of the Word Document format from MS Office.
_________________
[ Kawa-kun, new and improved!! ]

Alex Libman seems to be more of an anarchist than a libertarian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, that is so brilliant, I'm laughing to tears.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doubleagent
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 444
Location: 127.0.0.1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best src code comment evar! Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
http://code.google.com/p/xee/source/browse/trunk/XeePhotoshopLoader.m?spec=svn28&r=11
line 107 onwards
I know what he's talking about. I worked for a printing company for a short time and had to write software that would convert file formats from one to the other, psd being one of them.

As I recall it was god-awful. They've since come up with a halfway decent xml spec, but their early renditions of a file format were like reading and writing cryptic messages written by a parapalegic who'd just been involved in a car accident and could only use his toes, which, if that wasn't bad enough, he only had 15 seconds to finish up before the drugs knocked him out.

I'm not kidding. A meaningful line of characteristics describing a box was near indecipherable. It was horrible.
_________________
shickapooka wrote:
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 3753
Location: sleeping in the bathtub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that very same comment somewhere else in the last few days.

Was this slashdotted or something?
_________________
"You have to invite me in"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 5213

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
I read that very same comment somewhere else in the last few days.

Was this slashdotted or something?


indeed this is a dupe... i think it was in the swap-or-no-swap thread. :?

edit: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5679593.html#5679593
_________________
goodbye fgo. it was nice knowing you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4140
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
Hopeless wrote:
I read that very same comment somewhere else in the last few days.

Was this slashdotted or something?


indeed this is a dupe... i think it was in the swap-or-no-swap thread. :?

edit: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5679593.html#5679593


yer well the comment is soo awsome, it needs its own thread. I got it from [H]ard anyway not /.
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sir Link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 146
Location: /dev/chair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how the next comment after that outburst of rage is "sanity check" :lol: .
_________________
PUSH BUTTON, RECEIVE BAILOUT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum