Where is my MCSE?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moenkopi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Where is my MCSE? Reply with quote

I've contributed enough time to attempting and failing an install of gentoo on my emachines m6805 that i could've gotten an MCSE by now. I tried to do the module exclusion in autoload.d and after doing module-update and doing genkernal again it doesn't boot up. I can't believe it that the liveCD is perfectly fine, it detects more things on my laptop then even windows, but when i install from that cd, it is a completely different story.. I can't fathom the fact that the liveCD boots and sees my system perfectly, but when i install it, nothing works, it is a nightmare! Will this ever work? The only thing to do now is to stick to windows xp. Any advice?
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okee dokee.

Why not just do a manual kernel compile if you're having problems with Genkernel?
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." --Dave Barry
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I re-thought your post. You're going to have to give more information about where it doesn't boot up for any decent help on this issue.

Do you get past Grub?
Does it hang?
If it hangs, what is the last message on the screen?
Any other pertinent information that would assist in troubleshooting.

Cheers!
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." --Dave Barry
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you think that getting a MCSE is more worth your time than installing Gentoo, then go for it. If you want a Linux distro that can install in one hour without much effort, you should try something like Fedora, Mandrake or SuSe.

On the other hand, if you have issues with Gentoo and want to fix them, you should first read the documentation, then search the forums and, if nobody else has asked it before, you should ask questions the smart way. Pick the right forum, post your question with all the possible information, and then wait for answers. If you post in Gentoo Chat or in Off the Wall, you're more likely to waste more time that you could expend in a second MS certification.
moenkopi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:
if you have issues with Gentoo and want to fix them, you should first read the documentation, then search the forums and, if nobody else has asked it before, you should ask questions the smart way. Pick the right forum, post your question with all the possible information, and then wait for answers. If you post in Gentoo Chat or in Off the Wall, you're more likely to waste more time that you could expend in a second MS certification.
Well, after reading others who were able to install gentoo m6805 w/o any problems whatsoever, that became frustrating to me. What i'll do is redo everything all over againstarting from retaring everything... I did all the things you said, i even asked for help and someone did help me with getting dual boot working. It gets way past grub, it stops at one of the modules that i chose to load in the kernel-2.6 file. I just think it is kinda strange that the livecd boots perfectly and installing it to boot doesn't. I would like to model the installation exactly like the livecd since the live cd has a built in kernel designed for my m6805 computer.
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What system spec do you have on your emachine?
In my experience, getting linux up and running, you need to have some fair amount of idea what exact hardware you have, especially for gentoo. for RH, Mandrake... those kinds, they do it for you, so of course you don't need to know what beef you have in your box, I think that's the downside.

And about MCSE, IMO that's the biggest crap ever created, there is really nothing to learn for MCSE, or MC whaterver E, afterall it only benefits microsoft but not you.
Just my 2cents.

Last edited by beastmaster on Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doomwookie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moenkopi wrote:
I would like to model the installation exactly like the livecd since the live cd has a built in kernel designed for my m6805 computer.

Well if you want to have the same kernel as on the on the liveCD, then you will want to use genkernel to setup the kernel and setup hotplug. I believe there is a nice guide on it in the Gentoo Install Documentation.
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moenkopi wrote:
It gets way past grub, it stops at one of the modules that i chose to load in the kernel-2.6 file. I just think it is kinda strange that the livecd boots perfectly and installing it to boot doesn't. I would like to model the installation exactly like the livecd since the live cd has a built in kernel designed for my m6805 computer.

Well, if you write down the module that it's trying to load, then you know what the problem is. You can then look for specific issues with that module or ask for help with that. You may have to feed it some options or patch it or something.

If you are trying to install a 2.6 kernel, then IIRC, you are getting something completely different than the livecd's kernel. I believe that the LiveCD uses a 2.4 kernel and hence uses different drivers in different modules, etc.

If I were you, I would do either a manual kernel install, or if you must do Genkernel, use a 2.4 kernel. This will most likely solve your problem.
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beastmaster wrote:
And about MCSE, IMO that's the biggest crap ever created, there is really nothing to learn for MCSE, or MC whaterver E, afterall it only benefits microsoft but not you.
Just my 2cents.

Sadly that's not true, as it will carry a lot of weight with a lot of employers, despite being close to worthless.

I'll probably get one en route to getting a real qualification like Cisco certification or something.
moenkopi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScubaStreb wrote:
moenkopi wrote:
It gets way past grub, it stops at one of the modules that i chose to load in the kernel-2.6 file. I just think it is kinda strange that the livecd boots perfectly and installing it to boot doesn't. I would like to model the installation exactly like the livecd since the live cd has a built in kernel designed for my m6805 computer.

Well, if you write down the module that it's trying to load, then you know what the problem is. You can then look for specific issues with that module or ask for help with that. You may have to feed it some options or patch it or something.

If you are trying to install a 2.6 kernel, then IIRC, you are getting something completely different than the livecd's kernel. I believe that the LiveCD uses a 2.4 kernel and hence uses different drivers in different modules, etc.

If I were you, I would do either a manual kernel install, or if you must do Genkernel, use a 2.4 kernel. This will most likely solve your problem.
wow! so that is my problem! The live cd uses a 2.4 kernel, so when you choose emachines booting on the live cd it is using the 2.4 kernel and not the 2.6 kernel?? i didn't know that, thanks! I now see where my problem is, i will genkernel the 2.4 kernel or i will manually install the kernel, like you said.
Souperman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonhelmet wrote:
beastmaster wrote:
Just my 2cents.

Sadly that's not true, as it will carry a lot of weight with a lot of employers, despite being close to worthless.

I'll probably get one en route to getting a real qualification like Cisco certification or something.

I agree 100%. I've been jobhunting lately and I've lost count of the number of good jobs I couldn't have jsut because I lack that little piece of paper. I will definitely get it once my employment situation is stable again. Once that's done I'll start getting on with real certifications. Pity there aren't many *nix jobs to be had around here. The few that do exist are mainly for AIX or Solaris. :(
moenkopi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Souperman"]
vonhelmet wrote:
beastmaster wrote:
Just my 2cents.

:(
So, before i reinstall, i'm just getting another confirmation, that when you boot on the livecd with emachine kernel, it is the 2.4 kernel you are choosing, right?? right??? I just want to make perfectly sure so as not to make any mistakes. What else do i need to do to make my computer reflect the livecd's emachines kernel??? SINCE THE LIVECD BOOTS PERFECTLY ON MY EMACHINES?? Do i copy over the CDs .config and make.conf files??? net files???
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search is your friend:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=133711&highlight=live+cd+kernel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: