performance of GeForce2Go with Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: performance of GeForce2Go with Linux Reply with quote

Hi out there,

I've got a Toshiba Satellite 3000-400 with a PIII-900, 256MB RAM and a 16MB GeForce2Go. It works quite well with the nvidia-drivers, but I'm not sure about the performance of my device. It gets around 650 fps in glxgears and is even in 640x480 in UT2003demo just "playable".

I would like to know if there is anybody else out there with this kind of machine and what performance he has got since some friends of mine are getting 1400fps and more with glxgears and the only relevant difference seems to be the 32 MB GeForce2Go (Dell Inspiron 8100).

Thanks,
Marcel
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It gets around 650 fps in glxgears

Is this in 16 bit or 24? It's about twice as fast in 16 bit.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooook. Thanks. After changing to 16 Bit I get around 1130 fps with glxgears. Still not perfect. But in UT, which I already played with 16 Bit, I'm still having 15fps with 640x480 and almost all details off...

Can that be? Is it my notebook or is it some stupid config? (or the gentoo kernel - my friend's using debian and it plays very nice with 1024x768 and more details ;))
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may not be just your vid card, but your had disk speed or ram slowing you down in quake 3.

I get 1500 fps on glxgears with a 64mb gf2mx 400

so if you're getting close to that, then you're doing pretty well!
fryfrog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get 5500fps with a gf4 ti4200 :)
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowsa!

That sounds pretty nice for a video card 8) If only the fps in glxgears were the same for other gl apps... ;)

BTW, fryfrog, where did you get your ti4200 from? How many gold coins did that bring you down? :) Hehe, I'm thinking about getting one of those cards for my desktop system, but don't want to pay like 400 dollars for it.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, fryfrog, where did you get your ti4200 from? How many gold coins did that bring you down? icon_smile.gif Hehe, I'm thinking about getting one of those cards for my desktop system, but don't want to pay like 400 dollars for it.

It's listed as $114usd for the 128M version on pricewatch so you should be able to get it for something close to that. And if that's too much for you, a Geforce 3 ti 200 is going for $71.
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is warning me that I should wait for nvidia to release a new card (because ati apparently just did). With any new cards, like he said, there should be a price drop in the older ones. I know he's right about that, but I don't know if it will end up being much of a price drop or whether it will be a loooong wait....

Any thoughts?
BoBB
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus christ guys, i only get about 80 fps in glxgears, i have a radeon 7000 ... they cant be THAT bad can they? and yes i do have all the hardware acceleration set up right
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Unfortunately, right now for linux ati is not the card you really want to get, unless its like the one or two cards they recently released that they made drivers for (don't know how good these are). But most ati cards use the DRI projects drivers, and although I appreciate some people working on them to get basic support for x, it still needs a lot of work before it can be used reliably (IMHO). I had the luck of buying a Radeon 64 MB DDR VIVO, and that works like crap in linux, its a totally random crash here or there, even if I thought about using 3d. The wonderful Black Screen of Death...ahh memories. I'm sure some people just have low acceleration, but I never even got glxgears or any 3d app to run before blacking out everything (basically taking away keyboard and mouse input, not allowing you to kill x).

I luckily had my old tnt2 card stashed away just in case, and its a decent card, even if it sells for like 14 bucks now. I can even play UT (the original) on it. I'm sorry to have to say this, but if you want 3d, either have a more supported card or dual boot to windows.
BoBB
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same problem at first as well, the problem was i didn't have dri permissions set correctly in my XF86Config. it looks like this
Code:
Section "DRI"
        Group "users"
        Mode 0660
EndSection

acceleration works fine except its kinda slow, i have been looking to see if anyone has gotten better performance and such, but nothing so far =/
koala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm are these numbers running glxgears in a big window or the default size?

I've got a Dell Inspiron 2650 (Geforce2Go 2, glxinfo says GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE2), and get about 625 fps on glxgears at the default size. Running 16 bit 1024x768, and with apparently full accel.

Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: