Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Nvidia Kernel Fails to Initialize, cant get it...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azzuron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Nvidia Kernel Fails to Initialize, cant get it... Reply with quote

Ive read about this before here, searched it up. I cant seem to find a solution that works. my nvidia kernel fails to initialize. It was going great when i first installed them, they worked fine, no problems. I started to play with ALSA, and i recompiled my kernel i think, messing with the sound support. but im pretty sure it never failed untill one time, it just didnt work. after that, i have had to revert to NV as the driver.

I have scince then unmerged the nvidia kernel and glx, deleted my /lib/modules/gentoomodulesfolder and recompiled the kernel, installed all fresh like, and installed glx and the kernel again. thus, it is still broken. it says it fails to intialize the kernel and also that no screens are acceptable. so, i dont know :\ i have MTRR in my kernel, i saw that in the log so i put it in, but nothin is workin. But i have removed all the ALSA mods i have made as far as i can tell. I just dont know what to try now :\ any ideas? Thanks
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you type "modprobe NVdriver" while not in X?

The kernel you're using definitely has it's sources here /usr/src/linux ?
Azzuron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the sources are at that location. Ill let you know next time im in linux what that modprobe reveals.
theape
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: reemerge nvidia_kernel Reply with quote

You need to reemerge nvidia-kernel. That package needs to be recompiled *every* time you recompile the kernel...
So next time you reboot, do 'emerge nvidia-kernel', edit your X config to put the nvidia drivers back in and run it... should work no probs.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: reemerge nvidia_kernel Reply with quote

theape wrote:
You need to reemerge nvidia-kernel. That package needs to be recompiled *every* time you recompile the kernel...

Not any more. Now only when you change kernel versions (or make drastic configuration changes like enabling/disabling SMP).
Azzuron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i had made a reply last night. Must be i had only thought about it :P. Anyway, i got the problem fixed. modprobe revealed that i had an invalid option line 70 in my modules.conf file. This line was ment for ALSA, but somehow the kernel for nvidia was taking a liking to it, so i chopped it and everything is good again. Thanks for your time, and thanks for the bit on Nvidia, good to know that :).
lostinlinux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Problem Reply with quote

I am having a similar problem, however when I run modprobe I do not get an error, I get the following output:

localhost root # modprobe NVdriver
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.19/video/NVdriver will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Module NVdriver loaded, with warnings
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
localhost root # modprobe NVdriver
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.19/video/NVdriver will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Module NVdriver loaded, with warnings

That's normal, is it not working?
Azzuron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got that message also. it should still load and work :)
lostinlinux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: nope still not working Reply with quote

I get that message, but when I edit my X's Config file(/etc/X11/XF86Config file to use the nvidia driver instead of the nv driver X won't load....the screen flashes and then kicks me out to a text login mode
The Electric Sex Messiah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same thing, though I didn't get the tainted kernel message. . .
lostinlinux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: I think I got it Reply with quote

I think I got it to work. I edited my XF86Config file again, and restarted. The system then showed the Nvidia logo and booted X fine.....Out of curiousity though how can I test to make sure that it is performing well...like see how many FPS it's running at and what not?
The Electric Sex Messiah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, what did you edit to get it to work? All the help I've seen says to uncomment Load GLX and to change nv to nvidia. Did you do anything differently?
lostinlinux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Ta Da Reply with quote

That is exactly what I did. I uncommented the glx line and I changed nv to nvidia, and I restarted the computer, instead of just restarting xwin and it worked perfectly
The Electric Sex Messiah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using Gentoo 1.4? After doing exactly what you and described, it fails to load the module. I'm at work now, or I could paste the exact lines from the log.
lostinlinux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the latest version I think. I just downloaded and installed it the other day(you must excuse my naivness, linux as a whole is new to me). For the longest time X wouldn't load for me when I had the nvidia driver selected, but I think that was becasue I was only restarting X and not the whole machine. After restarting it booted up fine. I dont' know if this is what you are doing, but I hope it is helpful
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: