make java-config a bit more versitile?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: make java-config a bit more versitile? Reply with quote

Here's something i just noticed on a friends debian system.
all things related to java in /usr/bin (ie java, javac, and friends) were actually symlinks to symlinks in /etc/alternatives/java, javac ...

What this allowed is a standard place in your PATH - /usr/bin and a standard place to make very controlled individual changes to which java runs and which javac runs ...

Currently it appears as if java-config uses entire environments and development kits _but_ not parts of each to get it's job done.
For instance, perhaps some ebuilds are smart enough to detect jikes and compile with that, but for me as a user I want the VM to be from SUN, the compiler to be from IBM, and maybe even the java documentation to be from some other source ... is that possible with the current java-config ??

opengl-update uses the symlink approach so i was curious as to why java is different and requires explicet setting?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: