Gentoo PPC Linux 1.2 Installation Instructions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockkat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Gentoo PPC Linux 1.2 Installation Instructions Reply with quote

After 3 tries (and still no success) and a trip to the IRC room for gentoo PPC, I was informed that a few critically necessary items had not been completed. Being new to linux, aside from what little I've encountered within OS X, I followed the install guide to the letter.

When I finally got frustrated and sought assistance last night I was told that we had neglected to mount both the NVRAM and proc and I noted that the instructions for doing this were notebly lacking from the mounting steps in the install guide. Also seriously lacking is the statement that the drive that you intend to house your lovely gentoo linux must be Master (and therefore 1st in your chain if you have more than one drive).

If these steps are necessary for get your install of gentoo to work; why are they missing from the install guide? I had no idea that they ever were missing untill someone pointed it out to me. I have very little, next to no, experience with linux; I didn't even really knwo what questions to ask to get me pointed in the right direction. I'll give gentoo another try at installing but I think the install guide should be ammended to address this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: