Disc mountings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Disc mountings Reply with quote

I'm having some problems mounting various discs on my gentoo system. I used to be able to get /mnt/cdrom to work fine when I mount it, now I get an error that says:

mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdroms/cdrom0,
or too many mounted file systems

and that's when there is actually a disc in the drive--otherwise its just that theres no media (so at least its looking). I configured /etc/fstab to account for my second drive (my cdrw drive), so now the file looks like this:

# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda5 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/hda7 / ext3 noatime 0 0
/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

I also was wondering what syntax I have to put into fstab to get my NTFS partition as a mountable drive (my kernel has NTFS read only support built into it). Anybody with a clue as to what I'm doing wrong please help :)

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by Elsipkitch9809 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User can mount Ntfs but not enter directory. Why? should answer your NTFS question.

Do you have ISO9660 fs support in the kernel?

EDIT: Changed link

Last edited by pjp on Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple posts with info on fstab ins and outs, but nothing yet on why I would get the error I did when trying to mount /mnt/cdrom. Sorry if my questions are redundant :P I'm not very good at searching previous posts... :(
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats the thread that I found about NTFS mounts.

I do have ISO9660 fs support for my kernel, and I have mounted my cdrom before today. But now its giving me that error message. I'm trying to fix up fstab to include my dvd drive and my cdrw (first and second drive respectively), as well as my NTFS (which hopefully should work). Any other ideas as to why I might be getting that error message?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now my fstab looks like this:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k ntfs noauto,ro,user 0 0
/dev/hda5 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/hda7 / ext3 noatime 0 0
/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/dvd iso9660 noauto,rw,user 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrw iso9660 noauto,ro,user 0 0

and I can mount my win2k drive as root, but still have problems viewing it as a user. I saw something about using uid and gid from the linked page, but I don't understand it fully. I'll do some more searchign on that. It's not really as important as mounting the optical drives though, as I was hoping to listen to some music tonight. I still get the same error message as before, except the /mnt/dvd drive says it can't be mounted as rw. Normally, I would say "duh" :P, because its a read only media, but I'm trying to get ogle to recognize the drive so I can play movies, and what I read so far is that /dev/dvd or something has to be readable and writable.

Hehe, I guess that's a lot of stuff to go through. Could I possibly have messed up the drive's superblocks, as the error message put it? Or how would I check for "too many mounted filesystems"?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The superblock and "too many filesystems" business stands very little chance of being relevant. What is the result of:
Code:
$ ls -l /dev/cdroms/cdrom*

Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the output of "ls -l /dev/cdroms/cdrom*"

sh-2.05a$ ls -l /dev/cdroms/cdrom*
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 33 Dec 31 1969 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -> ../ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 33 Dec 31 1969 /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -> ../ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd
sh-2.05a$
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that you don't generally need to mount audio CDs just to listen to them, right? The audio CD playing program should take care of all of that for you - audio CDs don't have a mountable filesystem.

That being said, I think you probably want to enable SCSI emulation in your kernel and pass "hdd=ide-scsi" to your kernel boot parameter, to make the burner work. I do this with my only CD drive, and:
Code:
 ls -al /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 Dec 31  1969 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
...even though the physical interface is IDE. The relevant GRUB line:
Code:
kernel (hd1,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda6 hdd=ide-scsi

Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure about the audio cd filesystem thing, because I was trying to mount a cd that is full of music files (oggs mainly) that were already ripped from my cds. I added the hdd=ide-scsi thing and it still doesn't work.

This seriously is getting me frustrated. What the heck did I do to destroy my cdrom devices? I really like gentoo and I don't want to have to switch distros again...I spent pretty much the entirety of the last few days installing it, and I love it so far :) I always seem to mess even the smallest stuff up and then my system is totally screwed over.

There has got to be a reasonable explanation for what's going on. I do have iso9660 fs support in my kernel (I still have some files on my home directory that I copied over from when I successfully mounted earlier today), so that hasn't changed. From what I read of the man pages, fstab should work the way it is now, but I still get that mysterious error, even after rebooting and immediately trying to mount after logging (ie doing nothing else).

Has anybody got any ideas as to what's going on? :(
Elsipkitch9809
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Yabadabadooo Reply with quote

I think I figured out what the problem was: the couple cds I was trying (which I thought were loadable--they were in windows), weren't readable by my system. I tried some other cds that were older, and yahoo! they loaded.

That, and figuring out how to install nvidia's accererated opengl drivers has really made my day :) Hehe, I am glad that I don't have to stop using gentoo--its an awesome system!
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as some CDs not being readable...do you have the things like Joliet extensions and other similar options compiled into your kernel in addition to basic CD-ROM support? I know I had a problem a little while back where I couldn't get the original Unreal Tournament CD to mount because I didn't have that in there, and the CD used those extensions in its filesystem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: