Question on new ebuilds handling on bugs.gentoo.org
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobbie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Question on new ebuilds handling on bugs.gentoo.org Reply with quote

I'd like to have some clarification on how new ebuilds submitted by users on bugs.gentoo.org are handled.

1. when are new ebuilds are integrated into the main portage tree by gentoo developpers ? It looks to me it can take forever since some old ebuilds fro; several months are still not integrated. I understand new ebuilds are not the priorirty in these times of 1.4 testing though.
I did some xmms plugins 2 months (lirc-xmms) just to see someone submitted an ebuild for it some time earlier but since it was not in the portage tree I thought it didn't existed so i made one. Same thing with FlightGear.

IMHO an entry in the FAQ should be added that say that if an ebuild does not exist, to look at bugs.gentoo.org to see it it exist. there is 90% chance it does. it may seem obvious to many but was not to me...

2. now a question on updated packages : with the problem on new ebuilds taking so long to be integrated, how some existing ebuilds are updated so fast ? (take example of quakeforge 0.5.2 for which the ebuild was updated just after it came out). Since (i believe ) only official dev gentoo members have access to update the portage tree does that mean only ebuilds maintained by them get updated quickly ? What happend to updated packages by unknown users and submitted to bugs.gentoo.org ?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is a freeze on adding new ebuilds to the tree until 1.4 is released. Bugfixes to existing ebuilds are given priority so that 1.4 can be released quicker. Once 1.4 is released and the freeze thaws, I expect that you will see relatively rapid integration of ebuilds that are sitting in bugzilla. Your suggestion about an addition to the FAQ is a good one: if you would care to submit it to Forum FAQ, we'll try to get it included. Maybe I will write it up if you don't and I remember.
Bobbie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I submitted it to the developper FAQ (see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8860)

but maybe it would be good to add it to the forum FAQ as well
progster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw shouldn't there come a better system for posting new ebuilds? posting them on bugzilla feels kinda odd...

~Progster
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

progster wrote:
btw shouldn't there come a better system for posting new ebuilds?
Such as? Unless I'm mistaken, developers OK ebuilds submitted from the outside world. bugs.gentoo.org seems to be the best way to handle this IMO.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I believe there is a freeze on adding new ebuilds to the tree until 1.4 is released.

This seems to be the feedback I'm getting. New builds I submit are typically being resolved as FIXED LATER.

-- Curious
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering this as well. I submitted an ebuild for sparc64 for Silo 1.2.6 (It's Silo 1.2.5's ebuild renamed to reflect 1.2.6), yet silo-1.2.6 has been masked in the portage tree for quite some time. I figure after 1.4 is out, that'll finally get integrated now.

--Kumba
Starfox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be handy to implement a feature in portage, that recognizes if masked ebuilds succeses on the current configuration (hardware, CFLAGS etc.), and all these are tracked by one main gentoo site!?!??

So it would be possible to "report" (for the paranoid this may be disabled!) testing activities to the main developers, and they have the chance to release ebuild without testing them all theirselfes!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: