Nothing in /dev after installation on AlphaStation ev6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaNJaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Nothing in /dev after installation on AlphaStation ev6 Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo Alpha from live cd, gentoo-alpha-2004.0-20040313.iso. I boot the CD no problem, create my partitions and extract the stage3 archive. This archive does not contain any files in /dev. Not necessarily a problem. I get right to kernel build (genkernel) and it bombs because it can't find the loop device. I found a forum thread that says i must use mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev to get my dev files in place but surely this is a short term fix - and it is. The kernel then builds. I get to the end of the installation and use swriteboot to install the aboot loader which looks like its sucessful but when I try and boot from the disk I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or 08:02
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount root fs on 08:02

This is not at all suprising as /dev/ is empty! I have followed the Alpha installation handbook to the letter. I've even tried booting back off the CD, chroot'ing to the fix disk's root, going into /dev and running MAKEDEV to manually add the special files but this does not work either.

How do I install Gentoo onto a disk along with the necessary dev files?

TIA
avendesora
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If devfs works on alpha (I have no idea), make sure you have it and it is set to mount on boot - it populates /dev all by itself.

You do get the drive detected when booting, right? (It should appear somewhere in the boot messages)
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enable devfs? Devfs should create the devices on bootup

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
BaNJaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about devfs, i used genkernel as its my 1st pass at Linux on Alpha and didn't want to build a broken kernel. mseigneurin: it reads the bootstrap code from the scsi disk, finds the kernel in /boot etc, the kernel messages fly off the top of the screen. I'm left with md: raid0 personality, raid5 measuring checksum speed, then the NET4 stuff then the panic. I dont actually see any positive messages regarding my SCSI controller or disks found. I've only had this machine since Friday and I'm not sure about the exact config of controllers and disks. Might need to pop the case open and take a look.

I'll boot of the liveCD again, chroot and rebuild the kernel, specifically adding devfs support.
avendesora
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the right SCSI drivers in there too, while you're at it.
If the LiveCD detects it ok, do an lsmod to see what modules got loaded (if any) and make sure those are in your config also.
BaNJaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Assuming too much ;) Reply with quote

ok well the fact SCSI support was a module probably didnt help ;-). While i was there i added my NIC into the kernel and the disk controller oh and devfs. I guess you can't beat manual kernel configuration. Thanks guys.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: