Winex+Keyboard problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spedrosa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Winex+Keyboard problem Reply with quote

This is driving me mad. I have download Winex from cvs, and after a lot of tweaks I got most of the games working.

However, I have a problem with the keyboard. In unmanaged mode, all games(ex. Warcraft III) work fine. But I don't get any keyboard input. After I exit(using the mouse) I can see that all my keystrokes went to the console window I started it.

If I run in managed mode, everything works fine. But there is that title bar and those borders taking space, not to mention completely screwing up scrolling with the mouse.

So, I can see two options to fix it:

1- Fix the keyboard focus problem and make it to somehow focus on the WineX window (unmanaged)
2- Make the title and borders dissapear(managed). I'm using KDE and IceWM.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have to solve this problem.
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the smae problem, easy to fix though. What I did is turn on managed mode, but comment out section for resolution. I also turn on dirextX grab, but not sure its entirely necessary. This way the game runs in fullscreen, keeps focus and will run at whatever res you set in game.

Relevant config areas:
Code:
; Allow the window manager to manage created windows
"Managed" = "Y"
; Use a desktop window of 640x480 for Wine
##"Desktop" = "1024X768"

and
Code:

; Enable DirectX mouse grab
"DXGrab" = "Y"

hope that helps!
spedrosa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you said makes perfect sense. But I've tried that now and it still doesn't work. I can't see much difference between managed and unmanaged, if the desktop is off.

One interesting thing is that if I switch programs(alt+tab) or if I switch virtual desktops, the Warcraft "window" just sit there, below all others. Even if it was working, how could I return to the game if I switched applications by mistake? Is there a way to manually change which application has the focus? And even with managed mode, it doesn't show up in the list of running programs in the window manager(of course, ps works as usual, but I can't switch apps with it).

I'm sure that the answer is just under my nose, but I can't see it.
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, I've never really tried it in anything but fluxbox. Must be the way kde and icewm manage the windows. Alt+tabbing works fine for me with fluxbox in managed mode. In fullscreen mode I usually keep directx grab on to ensure I don't accidentally lose focus, and to make sure if I run a lower res in game I won't have probs with the virtual res thing.
spedrosa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... it still don't work properly, but I got a workaround.

I've put back the "managed" and "desktop" declarations. The desktop is set to the same resolution I configured on Warcraft.

I've started Warcraft and, of course, there was that ugly title bar(even more so in wmaker). I clicked with the right mouse button on the title bar to open the preferences for the window, ordered the title bar and the borders to be removed, that the window should be placed on foreground and similar configurations. Saved, and restarted wine (so that the window would start centered on the screen) and voila! Warcraft full-screen, with keyboard :)

But I'm not happy to have to start wmaker to play the game. Is it possible to remove the title and borders of a single application with IceWM?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: