View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathergrief
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Xfree Error: Negative screen size Reply with quote

When I try to run X (using kdm or startx), it starts loading and then crashes with the error message "Fatal Error: Negative screen size".
I have found if I type "startx -verbose" then X starts but the upper part of the screen is cut off. I tried recompiling Xfree at
"-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -mfpmath=sse,387 -mmmx -msse -msse2" but I still get the same error. (I'm going to try recompiling at lower optimizations later.)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done any editing of /etc/X11/XF86Config?
fathergrief
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on a swim trip and couldn't get on the net.

A little, I'll check XFree86Config again but I think the only differences between my config and the sample
nvidia config are I have a list of font dirertories and NoLogo enabled.

Just a little more information, before this happened I installed a resque version of portage, then updated that, updated glibc,
uninstalled XdirectFB, and recompiled Xfree. I was running Tuxracer in KDE when it froze, I killed X and tried to restart it, then
I got the error. I also have had some problems in the past because when I was first install gentoo, somehow my clock
jumped ahead several months, I set it back but not before I installed some kernel headers and some other things.

When I started X using "startx -verbose' I found I could run tuxracer but it froze after running for a couple minutes.

I'm going to try recompiling XFree again this time at -march=i686 -O2, and see if that fixes it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: