zsnes runs only sometimes, complains about 32bpp
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: zsnes runs only sometimes, complains about 32bpp Reply with quote

I am trying to get zsnes version 1.36 to run and every time I run it it says "You are using 32bpp but zsnes is forcing 16bpp, you may experience poor performance and/or crashing" Well, that's the problem. I am experiencing poor performance and it crashes quite often. The only problem is I don't know what to do about this. I tried finding some setting that forces X to run at 16bpp but that didn't seem to help (crashing of zsnes happened almost instantly). Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone understand the error? I think zsnes uses svgalib - do I need to configure that somehow (there is a file for configuring svgalib in /etc).

Adopt a post initiative
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: zsnes runs only sometimes, complains about 32bpp Reply with quote

just edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and insert a 16 bpp mode.... you may want to make it default.

I don't see much difference between 16 and 24 bpp, anyway....

Milez wrote:
I am trying to get zsnes version 1.36 to run and every time I run it it says "You are using 32bpp but zsnes is forcing 16bpp, you may experience poor performance and/or crashing" Well, that's the problem. I am experiencing poor performance and it crashes quite often. The only problem is I don't know what to do about this. I tried finding some setting that forces X to run at 16bpp but that didn't seem to help (crashing of zsnes happened almost instantly). Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone understand the error? I think zsnes uses svgalib - do I need to configure that somehow (there is a file for configuring svgalib in /etc).
Milez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: So this is weird... Reply with quote

I followed your advice, put a line DefaultFbBpp 16 in the screens section of my XF86Config. Then, X complained that I had my DefaultDepth set to 24. So, I made it 16 also, set the settings for 16 to be the same as for 24 and X started no problem. But now, instead of starting and maybe running for a while before freezing, zsnes seg faults instantly. Weird huh...

Adopt a post initiative
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: So this is weird... Reply with quote

Pretty weird... Are you running pure XFree ? I don't have this DefaultFbBpp in my XF86Config

Milez wrote:
I followed your advice, put a line DefaultFbBpp 16 in the screens section of my XF86Config. Then, X complained that I had my DefaultDepth set to 24. So, I made it 16 also, set the settings for 16 to be the same as for 24 and X started no problem. But now, instead of starting and maybe running for a while before freezing, zsnes seg faults instantly. Weird huh...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: