1.2 - 1.4 upgrade downtime?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: 1.2 - 1.4 upgrade downtime? Reply with quote

I've got a webserver which needs to have a minimal amount of downtime. I'd like to upgrade it to 1.4, but I'm not going to if that means that I can have hours of downtime..

What have your experiences been with the upgrade process?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.2 - 1.4 upgrade downtime? Reply with quote

Naughtyus wrote:
I'd like to upgrade it to 1.4, but I'm not going to if that means that I can have hours of downtime.

May I make a plug for Hybrid Major Gentoo Upgrade Process? I kept downtime to less than 20 minutes with this method.
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) Canèt believe I missed that guide - looks great, thanks! :)
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next question would be:

Is there any point in my upgrading my server to 1.4? Will newer ebuilds not like that I don't have gcc3+? Or will automatic things like emerge -u world folly and try to upgrade gcc without my knowing if I leave this system long enough?

Really I have no need for upgrading other than to keep current, and my fear of future compatability problems. Should I upgrade?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ebuilds will work with gcc 3.2 (I haven't had any problems untill now). If you follow rac' s method, your downtime will be very small (been there, did that). I' m quite happy with performance right now.

For a while, I think gcc 2.95 compatibility won' t be a problem (have heard about at least one year before things start to break because of 2.95).

If you do emerge --pu world, there is no chance something you don' t want will happen.

I think also that you could wait untill 1.4 is released, if you don' t have other motivations to do it before... 1.4rc1 is still beta, althought I' m quite happy with it.

Naughtyus wrote:
The next question would be:

Is there any point in my upgrading my server to 1.4? Will newer ebuilds not like that I don't have gcc3+? Or will automatic things like emerge -u world folly and try to upgrade gcc without my knowing if I leave this system long enough?

Really I have no need for upgrading other than to keep current, and my fear of future compatability problems. Should I upgrade?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: