backing up usenet binaries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Pointy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: backing up usenet binaries Reply with quote

I'd like to make backups of rar files I've downloaded from binary newsgroups. All the rars for a typical hour long SVCD are about 800MBs.
These can be un-rared into an .mpg, run through vcdimager then burned as an SVCD with cdrdao. But, like I said, I'd like to keep the original rars as backups.
I've tried xcdroast. I wrote an image to harddisk then wrote it cd but it was too big. I think I might have read that xcdroast doesn't do dao mode which is what I think I need.

So, what I'm wondering is what tools would you use to do this? Is it possible to fit all this on one cd? ( they fit after being un-rared).
More generically, if you wanted to burn 800MBs of stuff to a cd what would you do?
Thanks
garo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use 2 cd's !
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at xcdroast yesterday, and I thought I saw a 'default' mode set to DAO. I could be mistaken. I'm more likely to thing the files are too big. Some newer drives support 800MB+ media.
thegarbageman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think DAO mode is going to help you any. (Although DAO is great for removing the 2 second gap between tracks for audio CDs)

I would use a file splitter/joiner such as lxsplit and use 2 CDs.

Also, you may get better compression with tar/bz2, instead of rar.

Home that helps!
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it doesn't make much sense to rar, gzip, zip or bzip mpeg files - they're already compressed and running them through another compresser usually won't buy enough to make up for the overhead/inconvienience. If you want to take advantage of the CRC abilities of one of those formats, making md5 signatures or something would work as well.
Selkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Usenet the files are "rar-ed" not for compression but for the splitting. Lost Files are very common there, and if you loose a 15 rar file its more easy to repost it than to repost the entire ... linux iso *cough*

@Mr. Pointy: i had the same problem, i fear there is no solution without, for example, a DVD Burner (<- really cool, and not soooo expensive anymore)
cesman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: You have a backup. Reply with quote

If you unrar the file(s) and created a SVCD, you already have a backup(unless you deleted the rar(s) after you unrared them.). Think of the SVCD as your originals then keep the rars on your hard drive as the backup. :wink:
Senor-D
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: SVCDs are not data cds :) Reply with quote

The reason you're unable to fit those rars on one CD, but you can fit the SVCD data onto one CD, is error correction. SVCD-format CDs use less error correction than data cds, so they can fit more data. This keeps the CD-per-movie number lower, and is altogether a Good Thing. It's best to just use the SVCD itself as a backup, and possibly burn 2 copies. If you need to post to usenet, you're better off RARing and PARing it again and releasing it as a repack.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: