View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loudawg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried swsusp2.1 with kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r1, and I was excited when it worked perfectly on my first test. However, it only worked because this was my first boot with the new kernel, and since I hadn't re-emerged the nvidia drivers for it, X didn't load. So, without X, it works great. However, when hibernating within X (or even from a console, with X loaded), upon resuming it freezes at seemingly random points while restoring the image. For reference, I'm running a Toshiba 5105-S701 laptop. Also, in case this makes a difference, I compiled in the LZF compression option. I'll look more into this problem later. If any of you have any ideas, I've love to hear from you, though.

~Lou
aliensex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobimat80 wrote:
Well ist works (untill now without X). But my laptop doesn't power down. It just reboots. ? Why?

I have the same problem.

UPDATE: Never mind. I hadn't set CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_ACPI in the kernel config. It works like a charm now! :D
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a damn thing. Sometimes after resuming my Mousepointer (touchpad of my notebook) is b0rked, which means, it doesn't work at all or has no acceleration, which means it is painful slow.
My Touchpad is originally a glidepoint alps and I patched the kernel to have synaptic-functions. Has anyone noticed this yet?
Pengwin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gang. I'm pretty newbie-like and a bit confused about this. So, simple question....do I need it?

I've got an IBM t30 laptop running a 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 kernel. I've configured ACPI to be on and I've emerged ibm-acpi.

Battery stuff appears fine with ACPI but suspend/standby via klaptop doesn't work.

I thought enabling ACPI in the kernel was enough to do this but now I find this patch/software. What's the difference? Do I need it to be able to suspend/hibernate?

This newb is in dire need of explanation.

Thanks for the help.
synthmeme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: swsusp in gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r1? Reply with quote

The kernel configuration for 2.6.9-r1 contains two options for software suspend: CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND and CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION. Can anyone clarify the level of integration of swsusp this indicates?

If I want to use suspend/hibarnate functions on my ThinkPad A22P, do I still need to install the separate swsusp2 package? If so, is it still necessary to patch the kernel from that package? How much of the HOWTO that began this thread is still valid for 2.6.9?

Thanks for the clarification.
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten suspend to work with Nvidia drivers (I have a GeForce 4 on my box, which usually just gives a black screen on resume) while running X, thanks to a patch I found from the nvnews forums.

Basically the patch just changes the expected behaviour of the nvidia module after resuming from a suspended mode. I posted my instructions in another thread. Please check it out and tell if it worked for you too.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1728324#1728324
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more ideas and settings (for the latest and fastest nvidia drivers ever) that you should know of for suspend to work in this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=247704&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
tobimat80
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've trouble patching my kernel (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r10) with the patches (software-suspend-2.1.3-for-2.6.9):
Quote:
Applying 201-ati-agp ...
Applying 202-ne2k ...
Applying 204-frame-buffer-class-support ...
204-frame-buffer-class-support will not apply cleanly. Reverse applied patches [Yn]? Y
Reversing patches...
Reversing 202-ne2k
Reversing 201-ati-agp
Done.

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Tobias
leha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've trouble patching my kernel (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r10) with the patches (software-suspend-2.1.3-for-2.6.9):

It is probably because you are using patch for a different version of kernel.
tobimat80
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leha wrote:
Quote:

It is probably because you are using patch for a different version of kernel.

Yes. But where do I find patches for my 2.6.8 kernel. I can only download patches for 2.6.9 kernels.

THX!
michael3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use the nitro Patch. They have integradet the software suspend patch and a lot of other patches.
Yes, you must upgrade to kernel 2.6.9
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pengwin wrote:
I've configured ACPI to be on and I've emerged ibm-acpi.
Battery stuff appears fine with ACPI but suspend/standby via klaptop doesn't work.
I thought enabling ACPI in the kernel was enough to do this but now I find this patch/software. What's the difference? Do I need it to be able to suspend/hibernate?

synthmeme wrote:
The kernel configuration for 2.6.9-r1 contains two options for software suspend: CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND and CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION. Can anyone clarify the level of integration of swsusp this indicates?

If I want to use suspend/hibarnate functions on my ThinkPad A22P, do I still need to install the separate swsusp2 package? If so, is it still necessary to patch the kernel from that package? How much of the HOWTO that began this thread is still valid for 2.6.9?

Sorry about being unclear about this.
There are different swsusp-systems:
1) The one that is built into the kernel (swsusp*1*)
2) The one you get with patching the kernel (swsusp*2*)

After patching the kernel as decribed in this howto (a tiny bit outdated), you get 2 entries for swsusp:
Code:
Power management options (ACPI, APM)  --->
  [ ] Software Suspend (EXPERIMENTAL)
      Software Suspend 2  --->

"Software Suspend" is the the older implementation (swsusp*1*) whereas "Software Suspend 2" offers many more options (two image compression algorithms, etc.) Also, it will most likely work much better (it has been *extremely* stable for me for many months now).

So, do you need swsusp*2*? It depends... if the basic features of the swsusp in the current kernel are sufficient and if it works for your machine, I guess swsusp1 should be ok for you.

swsusp2 will be included in the kernel one day, I hope. I read that the kernel maintainers think it's too big a patchset to include at once, they would rather like to have small patches coming in from time to time, as they're much easier to review.

I hope this made things clearer.
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, people, really some news:

As I've not been able to keep up with changes of how swsusp2 is installed, I put this howto up at the gentoo wiki.

Find it here:
HOWTO Software Suspend v2 at the gentoo wiki

Please go on discussing and asking questions here, the gentoo wiki discussion board is not too comfortable. I also changed a lot of stuff, the version at the wiki may be called up to date right now.

Looking forward to seeing you contribute to the howto at the wiki :)

I would like to erase the howto in first post in this thread as I think it could confuse users - it's just too old. What do you all think about that?
michael3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxlover wrote:
Ok, people, really some news:
Looking forward to seeing you contribute to the howto at the wiki :)

I would like to erase the howto in first post in this thread as I think it could confuse users - it's just too old. What do you all think about that?

Hello

the hibernate Script is in the portage.
emerge sys-apps/hibernate-script

But it`s mask.
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael3 wrote:
the hibernate Script is in the portage.
emerge sys-apps/hibernate-script

Thanks. Has anybody tried this? This is different than the original hibernation script from the swsusp2 homepage. Supposedly this also does suspend-to-ram...
asyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamakawa wrote:
Me! :D
swsusp2 is working fine with fbsplash after changed from bootsplash.
i've tried 2.0.0.100,2.0.0.105,2.0.0.107,2.0.0.109 so far and am trying 2.1-rc1 from now...

I'm using 2.6.9 with swsusp2 2.1.3 and fbsplash. splash is working fine, swsusp2 is working fine, but there is no co-operation of them!
I had no success to get swsusp2 to co-operate with fbsplash. The 'bootsplash' scriptlet it's not compatible with fbslash. If you get them work together, just share your experience with us...
afftas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The hibernation script from portage works very well. Although, the configuration file must be edited in order to suspend to disk.

I tried to suspend to mem, but my laptop freeses after waking up. It keeps the blank screen, and the cooling fan starts to work very noisly.

I also tried standby, but, instead of continuing what I was doing, my laptop reboots after waking up (entering runlevel 0...)

I did these 2 test echoing to /sys/power/state

Is there anything I can do to change this behavior?
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afftas wrote:
Is there anything I can do to change this behavior?

My machine (acer tm 800) does exactly the same thing as yours.

I think the results of trying suspend-to-ram (and/or standby) are very machine dependent. I.e. you should try to find someone with the same machine that you have it who succeeded.
Sometimes it supposedly helps to fix a broken acpi dsdt. If you're lucky, someone has already done it for your machine, and you can find a fixed dsdt at http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php . You can load it whenever you recompile your kernel; it's easy.

See also: HOWTO: Fix Common ACPI Problems (DSDT, ECDT, etc.)
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this howto :)

I have a Dell 700M, and suspend is now working well, however a have a little problem (not a major one, but thought I'd ask!)

When I resume from a suspended state back to X, the screen is there, but blank.

I have to go to another terminal (ie ctrl + alt + f1) and back to X and then it draws everything on my screen.

anyone else with the same issue?

cheers and thanks again!

edit: also, perhaps you can add to the wiki the way to use multiple grub config files?

It's really easy and saves you having to choose to resume a suspended state when you boot up. (I used to have two grub entries, one for normal boot and one for resuming a suspend).

Just mount /boot and make a copy of your grub.conf and call it grub.conf.resume

make sure it has the resume information on the kernel line ie
Code:
resume2=swap:/dev/YOURSWAP

now in your regular grub file you don't need any suspending information, but I suggest that on your kernel line you have
Code:
"resume2=swap:/dev/YOURSWAP noresume2"

Now save those files under /boot/grub/ and edit your /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf:

Code:
### grub
ChangeGrubMenu yes
GrubMenuFile /boot/grub/grub.conf
AlternateGrubMenuFile /boot/grub/grub.conf.resume

Last but not least, to use this, /boot needs to be mounted on bootup (which is not the gentoo default). So edit your /etc/fstab file to
Code:
/dev/hdX               /boot           ext3            noatime         0 0
replacing of course your /boot device and filesystem.

Now boot will be loaded automatically at startup, and unmounted at shutdown.

When you suspend your machine, hibernate will automatically swap the grub configs for you, and when you reboot you will only have the option to resume!

This is very handy so you don't have to choose to resume, and you won't forget to. Just turn your laptop on and walk away, and it will resume if you had suspended, or boot normally if you hadn't.

If someone has already doco'd this somewhere I apologise.

Cheers!
olgaAr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 working with swsusp2. It's working pretty good, I am only experiencing one issue: my X-Server doesn't recognize my keyboard any more after a resume. As it is a laptop I am having trouble with, I suspect it is a PS/2-related issue. Strangely, my synaptics touchpad works flawlessly... Having said that, a USB keyboard works as well...

UPDATE: Having switched from xfree to xorg, it now works like a champ without any changes! :P
Hauser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
I have a Dell 700M, and suspend is now working well, however a have a little problem (not a major one, but thought I'd ask!)

When I resume from a suspended state back to X, the screen is there, but blank.

I have to go to another terminal (ie ctrl + alt + f1) and back to X and then it draws everything on my screen.

What resolution do you use? If I use 1024x768, hibernate+resume works without the problem you mentioned, but if I use 1280x800 (with the 855 resolution patch), X will crash when resuming. :(

Do I like to compile everything?
Positive definite!
tuxlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
thanks for this howto :)
You're welcome :D
taskara wrote:
also, perhaps you can add to the wiki the way to use multiple grub config files?

It's really easy and saves you having to choose to resume a suspended state when you boot up. (I used to have two grub entries, one for normal boot and one for resuming a suspend).

I hadn't heard of this before, interesting. Although I don't quite understand the way you use it: If you boot normally (without resuming) you can still give the "resume2=swap:/dev/swap" option to your kernel. swsusp2 will detect if there is an image in swap, if there isn't, it will boot normally.

But what several grub configs could make sense for is when you have entries in your grub that would mount the root partition used by your suspended system and therefore could destroy data... So when resuming, grub should not offer these (possibly harmful) options.
E.g. I have gentoo and debian on my machine, both auto-mounting the other's root fs, as /mnt/gentoo_root or /mnt/debian_root, respectively. If I suspend my gentoo, I need to make sure I don't boot up debian, because it will try to mount gentoo's suspended root filesystem, which could damage it. So in this case, swapping grub configs could make sense in order to remove my debian entry. My windows entry should stay though.

Or what do you all think?

I will play with this :)

taskara wrote:
also, perhaps you can add to the wiki
Hey, you can do it, too 8)
X-Drum
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliensex wrote:
tobimat80 wrote:
Well ist works (untill now without X). But my laptop doesn't power down. It just reboots. ? Why?

I have the same problem.

UPDATE: Never mind. I hadn't set CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_ACPI in the kernel config. It works like a charm now! :D

i have the same problem but i can't see CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_ACPI
in my kernel config! O_o
why?
lefou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Software Suspend 2 with gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.10-r4 Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully patched gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.10-r4 with Software Suspend 2? I got some error with the first patch, because some other gentoo patches had modified the sources, too.
asyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here for both software-suspend-2.1.5.11-for-2.6.10 and software-suspend-2.1.5.12-for-2.6.10.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: