GNU Parted usage on PPC - resize, move & expand? command
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mugget
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: GNU Parted usage on PPC - resize, move & expand? command Reply with quote

hello fellow PPC people,

i'm about to use Parted to make some room for my Panther boot partiton, but i'm unsure what commands exactly i should be using for this...

i've got Gentoo installed, but i want that to stay as it is, i don't want to change that at all. this is my current patition setup:

hda1 - Apple_partition_map
hda2 - Bootstrap
hda3 - Swap
hda4 - Linux ext3 - total Gentoo partitions - 6GB

hda5 - OS X 10.3 boot volume - 8GB
hda6 - HFS volume - 5GB
hda7 - HFS volume - 55.5GB

okay, so what i want to do is get some more free space for the Panther (OS X 10.3) boot volume. i want to make it 12GB instead of 8GB. i'm thinking of doing this just by moving 'hda6' so that it starts 4GB after the current hda5 partition, thus giving hda5 a total of 12GB. so the command i thought does this would be:
Code:
(parted) move 6 18000

so that would move hda6 to start 18GB after the start of the disk, right? (18 - 6 = 12, the size i want hda5)

can anyone tell me if using the version of Parted on the 2004.0 LiveCD would do that? would i use that command? and then would that automatically make hda5 expand into fill the extra 4GB? and then of course that automatically resizes hda7 to accomodate hda6, right?

sorry, i know this is a simple question, but i've never used Parted before, and although i do have everything backed up, it would take a long time for me to re-install everything.

thanks for any help. :)
mugget
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?

so should i just use the 'move' command, will that automatically resize any other affected partitions?

or should i just go for it, and hope that it works and won't let me do the changes if it's bad? :p
reddan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if parted supports moving/resizing/creating hfs or hfs+ filesystems. A quick glance at parted.info shows that parted can only detect hfs/hfs+ filesystems...
Your best bet would be to backup your data and delete then recreate your partitions. Yuck!
mugget
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are numerous other threads about using Parted on HFS+, it does work because there's a patched HFS version, that was included with the 2004.0 LiveCD.

any PPC veterans around here know about this?
reddan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugget wrote:
there are numerous other threads about using Parted on HFS+, it does work because there's a patched HFS version, that was included with the 2004.0 LiveCD.

Oops :oops: - wish I'd known that earlier...

From parted.info: "You can't move a partition so that the old and new positions overlap. That is, you can only move partitions into free space."

Again, parted may have been patched to work around this, but after having a quick look at the included patches, I'm not so sure.

So what you'll probably need to do is create enough free space on your drive by resizing your partitions to create some free space. You should then be able to move your partitions into the free space, and soon you'll be thankful for all those hours of tetris practice :wink: - Good Luck!
mugget
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddan wrote:
So what you'll probably need to do is create enough free space on your drive by resizing your partitions to create some free space.

ah, that's kind of clarifying things for me...

so for hda7 - 55.5GB, even though there's free space on that partition (it's not filled, only about 40GB used space) i'd still have to resize that partition first? i can't move hda6 to fill that usused space?

and when you say 'free space' do you refer to blank un-partitioned space? not space that isn't used by a partiton?

Quote:
You should then be able to move your partitions into the free space, and soon you'll be thankful for all those hours of tetris practice :wink: - Good Luck!

lol. :D i did get quite good at Tetris on GameBoy, but that was a long time ago. :p

also, should i just try the 'move' command and see if Parted lets me do it? will it let me do commands that won't work? will i get a warning or something, or will it just go ahead and mess up my hard drive? :p

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it.
reddan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, free space means "blank unpartitioned space".

I do believe parted will warn you about anything dangerous - however, I like to always play on the safe side.

Also note that when resizing, parted will probably only be able to change the end point of a hfs+ partition. I think that fat is the only filesystems that can have its start point moved.

So what you'll need to do is to shrink hda7 in order to create some empty unpartitioned space at the *end* of the drive (i.e. as big or bigger than hda6).
Then move hda6 into the new unpartitioned space at the end of the drive.
Then you can enlarge hda5.

The only sticky point is you will have to leave hda6 at the end of the drive (which doesn't really matter) because it will be too big to move back between hda5 and hda7... (unless of course you were to shrink hda6)

good luck! (and glad to help :D )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: