DNS and more
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
px
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: DNS and more Reply with quote

I need some help to configure my server:

I got a server that act as gateway, mail server, dhcp, dns, http, ...
I have some client that use this server to go outside my network to reach internet.

I want to make the clients to be reached by a simple name from internet into my network.

server.mydomain.com => the server (62.212.106.46)
client1.mydomain.com => computer 1 (62.212.106.46 => 192.168.0.2)
client2.mydomain.com => computer 2 (62.212.106.46 => 192.168.0.3)

Is someone know what progs I need to configure and where to find the doc... or an easy way to do what I want?
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What what services on these LAN machines do you want to be accessed from the internet? It all comes down to ports and port-forwarding. For this I recommend iptables. There are a number of posts in these forums about iptables, search and ye shall find.

Just having general access to a machine is never a good idea. Identify the services you want made public and handle on a port-by-port basis.
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, do you have a static IP address? If not you will need a dynamic DNS service. I use dyndns.org, they have other domain names you can choose from, for example, I am mud.homelinux.com no matter what my IP address is.

Secondly, you _typically_ can't give your internal machines external addresses. (Cisco PIX can..) The best suggestion I can recommend is to move all the services you want to run (http, dns, smtp, pop3) onto your 'server.' and make them accessible by the workstations.
px
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a static ip, and I would access these by ssh, vnc and ftp. I think I will check fort port forwarding, but making all port available with only a dns and then block some port with a firewall on the concerned machine would be great, you know, accessing a single machine on the port I want by just typing its name:port. No matter thanks for your help.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splooge wrote:
First of all, do you have a static IP address? If not you will need a dynamic DNS service. I use dyndns.org, they have other domain names you can choose from, for example, I am mud.homelinux.com no matter what my IP address is.

I recommend zoneedit.com. You can use your own top-level domain with dynamic DNS. 5 domains free, $10/year/domain after that. Unlimited subdomains and email forwarding per domain. You could also specify whatever MX server you wanted if you don't want mail forwarding.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

px wrote:
I have a static ip, and I would access these by ssh, vnc and ftp. I think I will check fort port forwarding, but making all port available with only a dns and then block some port with a firewall on the concerned machine would be great, you know, accessing a single machine on the port I want by just typing its name:port. No matter thanks for your help.

What you are doing will have very little to do with DNS. DNS relations end once they get to your firewall. Beyond that the addresses are not internet-resolvable.

If you wanted to do name-based forwarding I have no idea if that is possible. I know iptables will do port-based forwarding but I don't think it is aware of what domain name people use to get to that machine.
px
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any Idea how to do a realy usefull config, I will check that. thnx for URL : )
Messiah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a little off-topic, but you could definitely achieve what you want and more if you only could get a couple more ip-adresses.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: