8738 cmpci sound and network hard lockup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silhouette
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: 8738 cmpci sound and network hard lockup Reply with quote

I've been having a problem and it's driving me to hell. So here's the situation: I can listen to music fine and what not when it just that running. But if I try to use the network card to download or surf, it'll lock up on me. It doesn't happen at the beginning, but just a little bit after it. And it's just not a software lockup, but a hard lock, so something must be going on somewhere. So basically I can't listen to continuous sound and use the network card at the same time. Here's my hardware specs: The motherboard containing the Isound card is a soyo dragon xp+. The sound card itself is a c-media 8738. I use the kernel module cmpci as the driver for it. My network card is something based on the realtek 8139 chipset. For it, i use the 8139too module. Please help if at all possible. This problem is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei,
I ve got the same mobo, and never had any peoblems. I do use alsa for sound though. I get MUCH better sound with ALSA then with kernel drivers for c-media 8738. For ALSA you wil have to choose CMIPCI module.
Your network card is VIA Rhine. In kernel you can activate
"Use MMIO instead of PIO" try doing that, (it works for me). But besides all that, it sounds like an IRQ problem. Look in your BIOS and try to figure out if you your sound card has the same IRQ as your network card, and try to change this.
Success
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: