Wi-Fi Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filefly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Wi-Fi Problems Reply with quote

Hey people,

Im back to Gentoo, i toured the world of Gentoo and its a fact, you just cant beat portage ;)

Anyways, to the point. I got me a Toshiba Satallite A65 laptop with inbuilt Atheros Wi-Fi and ive had it working great in windows. Ive moved it to gentoo and i can't get my wi-fi card working, Ive emerged the madwifi-driver and the madwifi-tools and I believe the net.ath0 file has been created correctly. When i run /etc/init.d/net.ath0 start it checks PCMCIA and fails to find the card then it starts sorting the mac address with DHCP. I havn't compiled anything into my kernel, do i need to ? Also, ive done modprobe ath-pci and i ran kdewifimanager afterwards but that just crashes so im kinda stuck for what to do. can anyone help?
bennettp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at the lspci output (emerge pciutils): if it says your wifi card is a texas instruments one, then go back to windows.

Otherwise, I think the madwifi drivers (along with most pcmcia cards) need extra firmware to be loaded on each use; I'm not sure if this is included with the madwifi distribution, for legal reasons. Check the madwifi docs for more info.
Registered Linux User #363420

Last edited by bennettp on Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Radhek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have found very detailed instructions in my favorite laptop website http://www.linux-on-laptops.com.

I checked, there aren't any instructions specific to the Toshiba Satellite A65, however, there are some for the Toshiba Satellite A75, which ships with the same WiFi card as yours. The instruction are very detailed, you should give it a try. Here's the link :
http://jmccoy.sdf-us.org/slackware10/toshiba-a75.php#wireless

Note that those instructions are intended for slackware users, but there should not be any major difference, except maybe the paths, and the fact that you don't have to manually compile the drivers, since portage will do it for you (Yes, you just can't beat portage :wink: )

Let me know if it works,

-- Radhek
filefly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so luck with that method.

EDIT: Please help me out here :(
Radhek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

Sorry it did not work. However, what exactly doesn't work. Is the error the same as before. It would help if you posted what your syslog tells you whan you modprobe wlan, ath_pci and ath_al. Then we could see if the kernel sees the card or not.

-- Radhek.
filefly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel sees the card and my server can see the card but the card cannot see my server :( Ive been experimenting and still no luck :(

EDIT: Still can't get the card working :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: