View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Mozilla and java plugin woes Reply with quote

I'm having some problems with mozilla finding the java plugin. I've symlinked /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and when I try the about:plugins page I don't have anything java related there at all.
I've tried with SEVERAL different jdk's and jre's as well as different plugins (ns600 and mozilla). I've tried copying the plugin rather than linking it. I've triple checked the permissions on the files concerned, I've re-emerged mozilla (yawn!). I've tried installing it in Opera with the same result (nothing!). I know that plugins work because I have installed the Macromedia Flash plugin and it works fine. I've used gentoo's java-config to set up my java environment, and every time, nothing java related shows in about:plugins and java applets refuse to run. I'm at my wit's end with this, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
maxpower
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using gcc3.x? If so you have to compile java from source to be used with Mozilla. Check the forum for instructions. If you want to use Opera you can stick with blackdown (or Sun I think), just follow the intructions on Opera's site (I can send them to you if you can't find them).

mAx
R-II
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I had some problems getting java to work, so I let netscape plugin finder autoinstall it for me via browser (as root!), and it seemed to work just fine after that. But nothing I emerged really did anything..
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently mozilla-1.1 on gcc-3.2 doesn't work with the normal j2sdk, afaik you have to compile the java-stuff yourself :wink:

I'm doing that right now (should take some hours)

You might check my new thread on this topic, it may make life just a little easier.

Cheers,

Jeroen
May The Source be with you!
Hazim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen,

That script is, and i quote, "wikked awsome". After following the instructions and the make crapping out after an hour i tried your script and it compiled flawlessly :D The bad news... the damn thing STILL doesn't show up in my about:plugins!!!! AUGH!!!
I'm running Gentoo 1.4rc1 gcc3 and mozilla 1.0-r3, I've tried all the stuff I mentionned earlier, and now I've tried compiling the j2sdk and even *shudder* rebooting, it's a habit ok :wink:

Still searching for a solution....
Slurp53
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mozilla and Java work fine together. I use the tar file from the Mozilla site and Blackdown's 1.3...(something, I forget the exact version I at work). Nothing to really install just unpack things and put them in the correct place. In you home directior there should be a .mozilla file, create a plugins folder and put all you plugins there. That way when you upgrade Mozilla you don't have to keep installing the plugins. You must use the symbolic link for the java. I tried Sun's java and IBM's java but the Blackdown's java worked the best for me and they name their plugin differently for some reason.

Mozilla won't be optimized for your machine, but then again it is only about a 13M download and nothing to compile. Works for me, hope it will work for you.

You may have to tweek the mozilla-bin script to ignore the $MOZILLA_FIVE_XXXX (I forget this too) environment variable or set it correctly to get Mozilla to work if you have previously installed it from source and are now just running it out of a user folder..

:) :)
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slurp,

I suppose that's a mozilla-1.0-x ? I was out of luck with mozilla-1.1 and gcc-3.2 with Blackdown-1.3 :(

Hanzim,

Maybe try the combination with mozilla-1.1? Just unmask it in make.conf and mask mozilla-1.0-x. Be sure to disable the gtk2 USE-flag during emerge, there seem to be some widget-focus and clipboard problems with mozilla-gtk2.

Mine is running perfectly now :D

Good luck :!:
Slurp53
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroenv,

I have run that same setup since about release 0.98. I probably need to stress that I am using the precompiled version of Mozilla and Blackdown Java and not compiling from source.

:) :)
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I read too fast :wink: :oops:

The main reason for malfunctioning java-plugins is a gcc-3.2 compiled mozilla afaik, so indeed it makes sense that precompiled mozilla's work normally anyway...

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: