View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Mozilla preferences and plugins are not working correctly Reply with quote

I recently installed a 1.4rc1 system. Everything seemed to go fine but Mozilla. It will not store preferences in the Navigator settings. I can change settings from any other catagory but all the settings in the Navigator section are blank by default and to not hold thier settings when I cahnge them.

On a (possibly) related note no plugins are not working. I have installed the Blackdown Java plugin and the Netscape-Flash plugin. I tried the fix for plugins compiled with GCC 2.x but that did not resolve the issue. When I go to Help | About Plugins I get the following message:

Quote:

No plug-ins are installed.
Fine more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com

When I try to go to a site that requires a plugin I get the message:

Quote:

Mozilla cannot find the Plugin Downloader Plugin. With the Plugin Downloader Plugin, you cannot automatically download and install plugins. Please visit http://www.netscape.com/ to install the Plugin Downloader Plugin.

A third thing I noticed while typing this is that copying and pasting is not working in Mozilla. Not with the Copy and Paste menu options or by higlighting to copy and the thrid mouse button to paste.
orochi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: gtk2? Reply with quote

are u compiling it with gtk2 support? gtk2 messes up the plugins for me, but the copy paste works...
ch0c0b0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also noticed these problems with gtk2 flags on. Once I rebuilt mozilla withouth the gtk2 flags, all worked well (except for Ctrl-A to select all text in Composer)

As for the plug-ins, do you have the Software Installation enabled (under Preferences>Advanced>Software Installation) ?
Xinos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really understood how to get plugins working well but when I figured it out it was one of those slap on the foreheads duh kinda things. Download the appropriate plugin and then install it like it says. It will create a .so file this is the plugin. All you have to do is copy the .so file to your plugin directory either in mozilla or netscape. My path is /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/, yours may be slightly different. This will cause all plugins to work.
On the other problem I would try to unmerge and then emerge again it worked fine for me installing mozilla, the last time about 3 weeks ago. Good luck.
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using -gtk2 in my USE settings, I had previously had it it eneabled, but that didn't resolve the issue. I was having various other problems so I went back to 1.2 and everything is working fine now.
DiskDoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Copying & pasteing in mozilla Reply with quote

I had trouble with copy / paste too after installing Gentoo 1.4 RC1.. Adding -gtk2 to /etc/make.conf and re-emerging mozilla solved the problem.
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get Blackdown Java plugin working for some reason, I've got symlinks from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and everything - the ebuild for Blackdown just put them there! Nothing works though, it reckons the plugin isn't there. Flash appears to be working fine though. It's most odd. Any ideas anyone?

Mozilla 1.1, GCC 3.2 compile, latest Blackdown JDK from portage. USE gtk2 is NOT set and never has been.
bOOyahkASHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're opening a can of worms there Maw. In short, the portage Blackdown JDK won't work with your Mozilla compiled with GCC3.2.

Check out this thread, and maybe this thread for some more clues.

Summary: you need to rebuild a Java run time with GCC3.2. The one most people round here seem to be opting for is Sun's 1.4.0 JDK. However, lots of us have found that, even though the rebuilt Java plug-in now shows up in Mozilla's list of plug-ins, Mozilla will crash when trying to host a Java applet. Galeon, unsurprisingly, behaves the same way :(

Good luck pal. If you manage to host applets without Moz taking a nose-dive, please shout your method from the rooftops.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: