Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Portage behavior changes?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Portage behavior changes? Reply with quote

a few months ago, gnome2 became available and emerge -pu world showed that gnome1.4 blocks gnome. some weeks later, this blocking vanished. since 1 or 2 weeks, emerge -pu world shows only new programs, and displays nothing to be updated!

Okay, I'm trying an emerge -u world now, including gnome1.4 to gnome2 and about a total of 70 new packages, but already one of the first packages (gail) failed due to missing files.

Is it possible that something got terribly broken somewhere in these changes? how can a block vanish? how can there only be new packages though they are installed and to be updated?

* ElCondor pasa *
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of portage?
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got portage 2.0.37 currently. here more funny samples:
Code:
PHIEPS root # emerge -pu imagemagick

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N   ] app-text/ghostscript-7.05.5
[ebuild  N   ] media-gfx/imagemagick-5.4.7-r2
whereas
Code:

PHIEPS root # emerge -p imagemagick

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] media-gfx/imagemagick-5.4.7-r2
When I do an emerge -u imagemagick ghostscript is being emerged as shown in the first query.

This happens with every installed package. I don't quite get the point what's happening here ..

* ElCondor pasa *
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fixed in Portage 2.0.38.
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to upgrade portage, but dev-lang/python-2.2.1-r4 failed with
Code:
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 139

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line -125, Exitcode 2
!!! Parallel make failed

I'll give it another try in a few days .. or maybe with the next patchlevel of python.

* ElCondor pasa *
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElCondor wrote:
I tried to upgrade portage, but dev-lang/python-2.2.1-r4 failed with [code]make: *** [sharedmods] Error 139

Oh, no. That's not good. My research for this thread found that error 139 from make is basically gcc segfaulting out from under you.
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Oh, no. That's not good. My research found that error 139 from make is basically gcc segfaulting out from under you.

That's not exactly what I wanted to hear .. but thanks for the info ;)
I compiled a binary python-package on another server and installed it, compiled about 40 packages without a problem afterwards, then liprep-0.16.1 failed again with error 139. Since the error is reproduceable for certain packages, at last it seems to be a software-problem. I will recompile gcc and check if the problem is gone then :)

* ElCondor pasa *
R-II
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got precisely the same error trying to update to python-2.2.1-r4
I suppose if the problem doesn't remedy itself in the next ebuild, I'll have to start to worry..
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the same error as you when i tried to upgrade from gcc 2.95.x to gcc 3.2. But the upgrade went B0RK,BØRK,BORK(!) and i could not emerge python.
I dont know if there are any tricks to get passed this, and i tried to find a solution, so i installed Gentoo 1.4-pre.
tgnb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

getting the same error with python-2.2.1-r4

CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"
gcc-2.95.3-r7
Pentium 4

didnt have any other problems on this box so far.. only this version of python wont emerge.

gcc -shared build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/mpzmodule.o -L/usr/local/lib -lgmp -o build/lib.linux-i686-2.2/mpz.so
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 139

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line -125, Exitcode 2
!!! Parallel make failed
corporate_gadfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
ElCondor wrote:
I tried to upgrade portage, but dev-lang/python-2.2.1-r4 failed with [code]make: *** [sharedmods] Error 139

Oh, no. That's not good. My research for this thread found that error 139 from make is basically gcc segfaulting out from under you.

Hi rac,

However, for some people just emerging gmp once before you emerge python is sufficient to fix the exact same problem. See this bug report. In other words, all is not lost (if the fix works for you) :wink:
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corporate_gadfly wrote:
However, for some people just emerging gmp once before you emerge python is sufficient to fix the exact same problem. See this bug report. In other words, all is not lost (if the fix works for you) :wink:

Thanks for pointing this out. Anyone have a clue as to why this would cause GCC to fall down? That seems like a pretty drastic reaction.
tgnb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Some people are suggesting that this is a hardware problem.
Not ruling this out 100%, I do want to note that this gentoo install is on brand new hardware. It is running without a flaw so far other than this error during the python upgrade. This coupled with the fact that others are having the same problem witht the same build of python however makes it seem that this may not be hardware related.
Emerging gmp before python did not fix this issue for me btw.
Unmerging gpm, then emerging python and then re-emerging gpm did the trick as some people in the bug report have done.
R-II
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remerging gmp beforehand seems to have solved the problem. That nasty python-killing-gcc bug has halted my update at step 3 three times now :?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad people solved this, and I'm still curious as to why this would cause GCC to segfault, or what else could be causing a 139 from make.
tgnb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: im glad too Reply with quote

I have the same problem again with the new ebuild of python. I suppose i will follow the same steps again to fix the problem, but I am still also curious as to why this is happening in the first place. I dont seem to be having any other trouble on this machine, running apache, mysql etc and compiling otherthings without a problem just like before.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i seem to be getting this excat same problem.. although i just did a fresh 1.2 install and emerge wouldn't even work cause python wasn't working.. i think everything is just royally fucked up at the moment.. a few months ago i installed 1.2 without a hitch a couple times.. compiled everything for source and everything was rock stable and ran so great... well after getting a little to buily and emerging everything.. eheh i wanted to start over and make a nice fresh system.. so i try the 1.4 kept getting segmentation faults .. build errors all the time.. i couldn't even get it bootstrapped without playing with everything for 2-3 days.. so i say fuck it i'll go back to 1.2 and now 1.2 is just fucked to hell.. i can't even get the bootstrap to work on 1.2 casue portage errors out with perl scripts errors..

i don't know what to do anymore.. hehe
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that does sound like a hardware issue. If the lockups seem to occur at random, try checking your memory/cpu etc. Also make sure your not overclocking your machine, as emerging from source seems to be taking a lot more resources than 'regular' stress tests.
tgnb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

i agree that Mandr4ke's problems sound far mor severe and could be hardware related.
However, the others who are only experiencing this weird problem and can work around it by unmerging gmp before upgrading python and then re-emerging gmp dont seem to have a hardware problem.
I'm happy this workaround exists although it'd be nice to fix the actual problem. :)
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

tgnb wrote:
i agree that Mandr4ke's problems sound far mor severe and could be hardware related.
However, the others who are only experiencing this weird problem and can work around it by unmerging gmp before upgrading python and then re-emerging gmp dont seem to have a hardware problem.
I'm happy this workaround exists although it'd be nice to fix the actual problem. :)

Well this is the crazy thing.. i've had a great 1.2 build going for the past 4-5 months now.. compiled everything from stage 1... it was rock stable.. upgraded was running KDE with nvidia, had quake 3 Linux running bad ass... I was totally in love with gentoo and it was kicking ass... then i decided after doing so many emerges and just installing to much shit i didn't need or use ... i wanted to start over fresh...

well thats when everything when to shit.. i first tried the 1.4 and figured i'd upgrade.. i started over fresh wipping all my paritions clean.. but emerge was just going crazy to all hell, and bin utils was failling on emerge in the bootstrap.. groff.. so i said to hell with it.. and grabed my 1.2 cd since i never had a single problem with it.. now portage can't emerge when install from 1.2 cd.. or any stage of tarballs from 1.2 either.. i guess the version of portage from 1.2 is not compitable anymore which is dam retarded.. it should at least let you upgrade. full support should not just be killed like that... you can rsync and get the packages but anytime after that trying to emerge just gives out python scripts errors.. you can't do anything not bootstrap, emerge nothing works.. so i tried 1.4 again several times.. it just seems like everything in portage and gentoo has gone to shit.. i'm so dam frusteratted... i even ran cpu, ram stress tests.. and my computer is perfectly fine.. i've upgraded, downgraded bio's too.. and still nada.. and now i'm so dam sorry i deleted my perfectly working gentoo system casue now i'll never get it back again.. or this working again.. it just doesn't want to work.. :x
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iKiddo wrote:
Now that does sound like a hardware issue. If the lockups seem to occur at random, try checking your memory/cpu etc. Also make sure your not overclocking your machine, as emerging from source seems to be taking a lot more resources than 'regular' stress tests.

thats the thing though.. it's not locking up.. it never locks.. it's just erroring out on compiling.. and i never had a single problem with building 1.2 from stage 1.. all the way through.... now it's like nothing works...

I think there just mixing to many dam new packages... they need to make something where it will keeps a profile.. when you build from start.. it needs a predefinded set of packages with versions that is known to not have problems... and will compile only these pre-set versions of each packages for the install and bootstrap and inital system.. after that then you can emerge and update new versions.. of the packages.. and if one isn't working or compitable.. your not stuck till after you have a working system for god's sake!

I mean sorry i'm very frusterated.. but why the hell do we have to come here every dam second to the forums to find workaround for ever little thing.. this should have been setup like this from the start.. and any one thats installing a fresh new install at this time when packages are new and comming out are going to run into a boat load of trouble like this casue that dam emerge always gets the newest build enless it's masked..

i'd still like to find a work around to re-install gcc 2.95 again, but since portage is broken now on 1.2 cd's.. it's a bit confusing.. other then making a new cd's and trying to copy portage after you untar the stage 1.. hmm
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking because the end of the thread is better served here.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: