Looking for tips and tricks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Looking for tips and tricks Reply with quote

Ok, I'm abroad right now, and took a laptop with me with Gentoo installed on it. Great distro. Shame I don't have internet at home, so I had to delete portage and the lot, to save diskspace...

As soon as I get back home, I want to make my desktop PC a dedicated Gentoo box. I'm a sucker for 2 things: eye-candy and SPEED. My system specs:

Athlon XP 2500+
1 Gig PC3200 RAM
Geforce 2 440MX 64 MB
Western digital ATA-100 10 Gig HD
IBM ATA-133 60 Gig HD
Nforce 2 mobo (some MSI type, I can't remember the exact type)
Hercules Muse XL soundcard

I was thinking of doing an install from scratch, either stage 1 or stage 2.

Of course, for speed, I want ReiserFS4 and love-sources. (I'm hoping reiser4 will be implemented when I'm back (july)). CFLAGS="O3 march=athlon-xp"

For eye-candy, I was thinking of bootsplash, framebuffer and the lot.

for window manager, I'm thinking of using fvvm, with a lot of eyecandy included.

I'm a gamer, so I'll be installing WineX and Win4Lin to be able to play some games (primariliy Desertcombat, C&C Generals, NFSU and I'm thinking of giving Farcry a try)

Will this all work? Any tips on how to speed up my machine any further?

One other problem I'm having: my little sister often uses my computer (I got a webcam, she doesn't). She'll only be doing some MP3 listening, AMSN and some light browsing, but I want to make sure.
If she does something stupid, like rm -rf / or chmod -R 777 /etc/ or ANY OTHER COMMAND we know you should never enter, she will get a lot of permission denied errors, but I'm quite sure it will f*ck my computer up if she does (I tried these commands on a redhat machine once, and even as a normal user, you can screw up quite a lot). I don't want to put her in a chroot jail (she'll be using KDE anyway). Is there some other way with which I can make sure she won't be able to screw up my config?
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips and tricks Reply with quote

Rainmaker wrote:
I'm a sucker for 2 things: eye-candy and SPEED.

Those goals are usually mutually exclusive ;)

But anyway, I don't see any problems. Regarding those foolish commands, I don't think those commands will do much in gentoo (they didn't on my debian box (except toast one user account), I'm too scared to try it on my gentoo box at the moment though ;) ). You could surely break your own account that way, but other accounts and settings... almost certainly not.
Plastic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a new GFX card :wink: . A MX series isn't gonna cut it for FarCry. Man that's a beautiful game (run it on my machine, medium settings GF4 ti 4400).
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from IG
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: