Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Daniel Robbins leaves Gentoo. Donation time!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosjahh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just donated $15.

Kudus to Daniel Robbins.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck for the future Drobbins........if you ever need cheering up, just search this forum for all those "i just installed Gentoo, this is amazing" posts :wink: I know mine is there somewhere 8)

I don't think you can measure the difference you've made to Linux in general. Gentoo is one of the big boys now but he's still your baby :wink:

p.s. Someone should email him the link to this thread
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to buy some t-shirts but the store seems empty?!
I guess I'll have to buy CD's, since there seems to be some question of direct donations going directly to Daniel or to the NP gentoo. At this point I'd rather give the gift to Daniel, since he has (obviously) given so much.

I hear that http://www.osdl.org/ seems to like hiring Linux programmers. Maybe he's qualified :)

In anycase I'm hoping he decides that he really can't live without Gentoo after all.... (and that this influx of donations helps him get back on his feet.)

Good Luck Mr. Robbins!
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iplayfast wrote:
I was going to buy some t-shirts but the store seems empty?!
I guess I'll have to buy CD's, since there seems to be some question of direct donations going directly to Daniel or to the NP gentoo. At this point I'd rather give the gift to Daniel, since he has (obviously) given so much.

I hear that http://www.osdl.org/ seems to like hiring Linux programmers. Maybe he's qualified :)

In anycase I'm hoping he decides that he really can't live without Gentoo after all.... (and that this influx of donations helps him get back on his feet.)

Good Luck Mr. Robbins!

To attempt to clear this up once and for all, donations given at the gentoo store do go directly to drobbins at present.

Puggy
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puggy wrote:

To those of you that were worried about gentoo collapsing as drobbins has left...sheesh, have some faith. :-D

Puggy

True, have a little faith in the gentoo community, which is one of the main reasons it is the great distro's that it is.

Daniel you will be missed, from a systems admin perspective gentoo is the most liberating and flexible distro I have used. Good luck in whatever you decide to move on to.

Thanks again.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new to the gentoo community, and i'm a former rh/suse guy.

donated 50 to the guy who created the distro that taught me linux (or some of it, i've still got a LOT to learn).

i don't think gentoo's going anywhere, and until i see signs that it's failing i think we all need to just keep on keeping on.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me emerges donation & appreciation
Thanks drobbins, stay around :)
bendy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$25 each X 800 users = $20,000

Do the maths and hit that donate button. Daniel's family should not have to suffer while he gave us the linux distro ever.
a23d56
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Easing debt.. or am i? Reply with quote

pauldv wrote:
Daniel has been working at least 80 hours per week on gentoo. This is too much

I can easily imagine how the project would be a black hole sucking up all his time, and as its creator, how it would be difficult to ever reduce that effect. Disconnecting from gentoo is probably the best way for him to put his life back in balance.

:)
Wolven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for Gentoo and good luck to you Mr. Robbins.

Donate
Mindstab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made my first open source donation. $20.00. Hope it helps :)
Bjorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your contribution to the open source community and for creating the best GNU/Linux distribution out there. I wish the best of luck to you and your family in the future.
Being a poor student I could not afford donating more than $15, but I do hope it helps you :-)
Frodo42
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25$ just donated to reduce the 20K

I had newer heard about Robbins till now, and I've been using Gentoo for over a year now, and love it.
It's going to be interesting with the new structure, I hope Gentoo keeps on being the best OS out there.
BlueEar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bendy wrote:

Excellent idea. I just did my part. Please everybody, $25 is not much and if you value Gentoo helping the guy who started it all is the right thing to do
Floog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of some of the crappy Windows video games I've purchased over the years, I didn't even have to think for 10 seconds about it once Puggy confirmed that the donation link at the store will get the money to drobbins.

$25 well spent as of 1:45 pm EST.

I've only used Gentoo full time for a few months, but I'm hooked and hope it will continue to thrive.

Good Luck Mr. Robbins.

Floog
raylpc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did my part, $20. I will donate more when I get my job. Thanks for all the great work. Gentoo is the greatest OS I ever used.
silentbob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: ...thanks for Gentoo & good luck in the future Daniel Reply with quote

Just to say a big thank-you to Daniel for being the source and inspiration for the best linux distro I've used. I've learnt so much about linux while using it and it gave me the chance to drop Windows for good!

Good luck in the future Mr. Robbins, I've sent you a little $25 'thanks' through the Gentoo store for all your hard work, it has been much appreciated. :D :D

Thanks to all those who help support the Gentoo community, not only the programmers but those who kindly support others in these forums and by providing documentation... fantastic.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder how much hes got so far, must be a sizeable dent into that debt already...

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueEar wrote:
bendy wrote:

Excellent idea. I just did my part. Please everybody, $25 is not much and if you value Gentoo helping the guy who started it all is the right thing to do

Well according to the Forum Index
Code:
We have 51453 registered users

Someone is not doing their fair share!!!

With that many users just each donating $10 each (1 cd) Mr. Robbins financial problems should be far behind. For him to break even it's less then 50 cents per person.

This reminds me of the Blender freedom fight where they had to raise 100K to open source Blender. Happened very quickly as I recall.

Why not make an appeal using the forums mailing list, suggesting that even if they don't want to buy a cd could they donate 50 cents towards the cause? (Nobody will donate 50 cents but it might start people thinking.)

It burns me that MS charges over $200 for their crappy OS, and people won't donate anything to support the people who support the software that they use daily. I'm not just talking about Daniel Robbins, but any software. A donation of even $5.00 to a project does wonders for the spirit of the programmer. Nothing says thank-you like the returning the favor of supporting the programmer who supports the software that you use.

I'm so tight that when I squeeze a nickle the beaver screams, but I know a good deal when I see it, and supporting open source software is one of them. (I'm Canadian so our nickles have beavers on them).

Of course, on this thread you all know this already. I'm hoping others decide to do the same.
guard0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is VERY VERY encouraging and shows the sheer amount of support and kindness to newbies and tech veterns alike..
i applaude all that have contributed to ANY open source project, and i really am glad to see this kind of support coming from the gentoo crowd especially..

(insert standing ovation here, once for daniel robbins, and once for the community in general)
hybridcargeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Say thanks and donate on the shop.gentoo.org site Reply with quote

I just gave a healthy donation and I encourge everyone else out there reading this thread to do the same.

We have all benefited that Daniel was charitable enough to sink years of his life into this project. If you have been watching gentoo over the past couple of years you have seen that Daniel has tried several different ideas for ways to make a living off of gentoo. This is a good thing -- he's the founder of the project that makes the rest of us so happy. In an ideal world a good mechanism would exist to ensure that he and the other contributors were rewarded for that effort. I think that he has been reasonably open about various plans however it seems like some vocal members of the community have always chosen to see underhanded behavior where there were more likely simply just attempts to find a way to make an honest living off of an open source product.

I was always a little saddened to see the attacks and suspicions being raised -- and you could tell from his responses that Daniel was _really_ tired of it.
I don't know Daniel, but from this note and others in the past I suspect that his departure has a lot to do with the constant suspicion.

None of his ideas for a commercial gentoo business took off, which is just the way things work out sometimes. I think it shows all good things that he chose to set up gentoo as a not for profit organization.

Lets applaud that decision, be a little charitable ourselves and pass the hat around and see if we can help pay Daniel back a little for his sacrifice. Then lets wish Daniel and his family well in his future endeavors (gentoo or otherwise) and do what we can to keep our distro happy and healthy.

For the record I also contributed to NotForProfit on the main site (about a month ago) and I've also contributed $ to other open source projects when the inclination strikes me. The software we are building as a community has value and for each project out there someone is paying the fees to keep a website online, etc.. Pony up 10 bucks here and there, it can't hurt the movement.
pauldv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Daniel's thanks Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just come of the phone with Daniel. He's very gratefull for all the donations comming in. He will try to thank all of you as soon as possible. There are a lot of donations to be gratefull for though and he has some mail sending problems. But let me relay his thankfullness

Paul
Gruffi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did my 100$ :) It would only let me enter 99 first but i cheated and changed it on the 2nd page :wink:
It's nothing compared to all the wincrap i bought in the past!
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting a distribution like gentoo is great, having a family maybe even more important. Good luck!
flox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Fair enough Reply with quote

Just contributed as well 25$. Hope it helps the gentoo project or at least drobbins .

After all I guess gentoo will survive anyways. If a distro like gentoo depends on only one person something is wrong. Nevertheless I absolutely understand that this is a big loss and that this gap must be filled first.

regards,
Flox

P.S.:
What I don't understand is that no discussion (or at least I didn't realize one) about donating and the critical situation was raised before. I think the gentoo team knows about the size and solidarity of the community.

I also have no doubt, that drobbins has the knowledge and potential to make $20k in quite a short time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: