Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Daniel Robbins leaves Gentoo. Donation time!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea that he had accumulated $20,000 in debt. I believe that if a fundraising effort was done (Paypal???), the Gentoo community could cover a good portion of that debt. Anybody have the authority and initiative to start this?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a few more people had donated just part of that money they spent on CD's or a cappacino,... to Gentoo, if that might have made a difference. Man has to feed his family.

I recently went to the Gentoo store after first hearing about the NFP, they used to have othe things there like coffe mugs,.. wonder if they're coming back?

Quote:
were people really bitching about him getting profits from the store, jesus when i heard he was $20,000 in debt i thought we should have had a fundraiser like they did for that *bsd hacker.

Not like he is going to accumulate BG's wealth from the store. Wonder who was bitching? Probably some of the same people that haven't donated one single $ to gentoo. And no one can tell me that: I'm in college and have no money, or I'm only 13 and have no cash. Follow them for a day and watch what they spend money on.

– Steven Wright
Nicom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, sad to see such a thing happen.
MmmmJoel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PayPal donation button is up on the top right of the homepage.

My donation is on its way, and hope it is joined by many others to dent that awful debt hanging over his head.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decibels wrote:

Not like he is going to accumulate BG's wealth from the store. Wonder who was bitching? Probably some of the same people that haven't donated one single $ to gentoo. And no one can tell me that: I'm in college and have no money, or I'm only 13 and have no cash. Follow them for a day and watch what they spend money on.

we have to remeber this is an international effort so while a few quid might not seem like much to folks from the west it could be a weeks wages for some poor sod
BobDylan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurry up guys !
We all use it and love it.
Support gentoo development efforts !
iswm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$20k, that's rough. I'll be donating.
Tyir
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that made me quite sad, I have to say, his essay on why he started Gentoo was one ofthe main reasons I switched to it...
Neech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just donated. lets hope enough people donate to help him out.
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better let it be known that all money donated is going to the NFP to pay for the licensing costs of this stuff, not drobbins himself. He's only making money of sold CD's and (in the future) tee-shirts.
Dr_Stein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Well, then.. Reply with quote

Time to buy some CDs (Gentoo) and t-shirts!

This payday, I'll buy a t-shirt or two. Then I can throw away my SuSE t-shirt from Linuxworld 1999.. heh
iten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floam wrote:
Better let it be known that all money donated is going to the NFP to pay for the licensing costs of this stuff, not drobbins himself. He's only making money of sold CD's and (in the future) tee-shirts.

Should someone start a "Help drobbins" fund on PayPal?
It would be a nice way to say thanks.
theosib
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Just made a donation Reply with quote

I'd planned to donate money when I started with Gentoo. I had resolved to myself that if Gentoo worked out well, then I would donate. It's worked out very well. It was the resignation over personal debt that gave my brain a kick and reminded me to donate. So I just donated $25. I thought about one-time donating $50 which was a little more than what I paid for RH9, but I decided that instead, I'd donate $25 on a periodic basis whenever my appreciation level makes me think to do so.

As Gentoo evolves, I expect that it'll become more appealing to more users. More automation in install will make it appealing to sysadmins, etc. As Gentoo evolves this way, business will pick up. Perhaps Gentoo can hire Robbins on as an employee. :)
iswm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iten wrote:
floam wrote:

Should someone start a "Help drobbins" fund on PayPal?
It would be a nice way to say thanks.

It would be a good idea. If a few hundred people donated a few bucks each, we'd quickly be up into the thousands.
Darth Void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked drobbins. I was still a newbie to Linux when I had a run-in with him on the #SuSE channel of OPN back in the day. He was recruiting people to help develop a new Linux distro called Enoch. He walked me through the process to install Enoch on a tertiary partition on my PC...

As I was a n00b, and I had finally just gotten my SuSE partition to just work right, I dropped out early on, at about the time that Enoch had been renamed Gentoo, and ended up using the partition for something stupid, a couple years later I came back to try Gentoo after a period of experimentation with Linux From Scratch.

I haven't gone back, and I can see much of the same 'touch' on Gentoo that I saw with Enoch. The default prompt colors are the same on Gentoo as my initial Enoch installation back in 1999, and much of it I recognized, such as Portage's use of ebuild files, which were being developed back then (IIRC).

My impression of that one time I had contact with drobbins was that he was very intelligent, knowledgeable and not the slightest bit arrogant about his skill and talent, which was a breath of fresh air after months of dealing with the typical IRC hoodlums who put themselves on a pedestal because they know shell script syntax better than me.

As a Gentoo user who finds Gentoo to be leagues ahead of every other flavor of Linux out there, I feel at a loss with Daniel Robbins' resignation.

I hope for him the best in the future.

Thank you Daniel Robbins!
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewan.paton wrote:
Decibels wrote:

we have to remeber this is an international effort so while a few quid might not seem like much to folks from the west it could be a weeks wages for some poor sod

I would doubt anyone making that little is using Gentoo.

– Steven Wright
F16PilotJumper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:cry: :cry:

Shortly after I started using Gentoo I watched one of the interviews he gave.. It was awesome.

I've only been a user since last November, but Gentoo has given me hope for computing in general after years of using Windows.
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man.... this is really saddening.
This christmas I asked my family to buy me a bunch of Gentoo stuff, but that didn't happen...
Now I'm still waiting for my credit card so I can sign up for a paypal account...
How long will it be that he'll still be getting money from donations? I hope for still a bit because it'll be a while until I can get my paypal account up and running, but I still want to help him out.
For that matter, is it even possible to help him NOW? Will donations still make their way to him?
If anyone knows more on this, I'd be greatly appreciative...
BlueEar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Donated Reply with quote

I've been donating every year. The way I figure if I had to buy Mandrake or RedHat I'd spend more than $50.00 each year. So I'd rather donate this money to Gentoo. This time I requested that if possible that $50.00 goes towards reducing Danile Robbins' debt.
paroneayea
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, for all of you wanting to help out Daniel, a thread started up over here.
Help a brotha' out! Not just any brotha' either, a guy who really gave us so much, so selflessly.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is a sad, sad day.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
incognito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: thanks and best wishes Reply with quote

While just lurking for several months I have learned an enormous amount from Mr. Robbins' efforts and the gentoo forums. As a small repayment, Dan, please accept $25 from my family to yours with our best wishes for either the return of a phoenix or undoubted success in any future path you make. Kind regards.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to throw in with the chorus here; thanks Daniel Robbins, for everything. I think for many of us, an OS is more than just a tool or a means to an end, but an elegant, exciting thing in and of itself. I know it is for me, at any rate, and Gentoo is what made me a Linux user. I use other distributions for various things now but I don't know that I'd be a full-time Linux nerd if it weren't for Gentoo.

You'll be missed. Seriously, thanks.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Daniel!

Gentoo is (IMO) the best OS that exists today. I would still be clueless about many things regarding Linux (and probably still a Windows user) if it wasn't for this fine distribution. So, thanks again!

Last edited by Given M. Sur on Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Moogie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Robbins Reply with quote

Today I found out that DRobbins has left Gentoo. Everything is still very fresh and new, speculation and rumor are at high tide but I must say this; I was saddend by the newsToday I found out that DRobbins has left Gentoo. Everything is still very fresh and new, speculation and rumor are at high tide but I must say this; I was saddened by the news.

My only direct exposure to Robbins was reading a few of his interviews so I don't know him that well. Gentoo however I do know. Gentoo pulled me out of Redmond-land when Red Hat and Mandrake failed to.

I fell in love with the degree of customization and control Gentoo offered. In less then a year I have gone from all Win 98 and Win XP boxes to all Gentoo boxes. I've tried a few different flavors of Linux but always come back. And for this, Daniel Robbins, I thank you.

You created a wonderful world when you created Gentoo. The community is helpful and friendly, the OS itself is solid and you put the power in the users hands. There isn't much more one could ask for from a Linux distribution.

I hope for everyone involved, users and developers alike, the rumors and false information is quilled and the truth becomes widely known.
Most importantly I hope you come back.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: