View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: 2.6.12 & 500Hz Reply with quote

HI. I read topic, but didn't find answer.

I have kernel 2.6.12. As described in http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=62, i don't need to patch the kernel (is it right? :)). But when i try to set mousepoll=2 (with modprobe or echo) i don't fell difference (cat /proc/bus/usb/devices gives me ivl=10ms. As i understand, it's a bug). Re-pluging doesn't help :(

Thx for reading my post :)
krejler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2.6.12 & 500Hz Reply with quote

Rainor wrote:
HI. I read topic, but didn't find answer.

Hi :-)

Rainor wrote:
I have kernel 2.6.12. As described in http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=62, i don't need to patch the kernel (is it right? :)).

That is correct.

Rainor wrote:
But when i try to set mousepoll=2 (with modprobe or echo) i don't fell difference (cat /proc/bus/usb/devices gives me ivl=10ms. As i understand, it's a bug). Re-pluging doesn't help :(

No, it is not a bug. What you see in /proc/bus/usb/devices is the device descriptor -- what the device uses to present itself to the controller with. In earlier incarnations of the patch, I used to change the interval directly in the device descriptor, but since this was method discouraged by the reviewers when the patch was trying to get into the kernel, I changed the way it worked.

Have you tried echoing/using a quite high interval? Try something like 64, and see if you can slow it down that way. If that's the case, it is definately working, you just cannot feel it. :-)

Rainor wrote:
Thx for reading my post :)

No problem. Please report back with what you find out, or whatever problems you might encounter.

krejler
Rainor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krejler
First of all, thx :)

Quote:
No, it is not a bug. What you see in /proc/bus/usb/devices is the device descriptor -- what the device uses to present itself to the controller with. In earlier incarnations of the patch, I used to change the interval directly in the device descriptor, but since this was method discouraged by the reviewers when the patch was trying to get into the kernel, I changed the way it worked.

Oh, now i really understand.

Quote:
Have you tried echoing/using a quite high interval? Try something like 64, and see if you can slow it down that way. If that's the case, it is definately working, you just cannot feel it.

Yep, when about interval is about 60 the aim in games is more accurate. But, as you said, i really cannot fell it.

And thanks for this staff :)
krejler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainor wrote:
krejler
First of all, thx :)

Quote:

Oh, now i really understand.

Quote:
Have you tried echoing/using a quite high interval? Try something like 64, and see if you can slow it down that way. If that's the case, it is definately working, you just cannot feel it.

Yep, when about interval is about 60 the aim in games is more accurate. But, as you said, i really cannot fell it.

And thanks for this staff :)

Hmm, something seems wrong. Are you saying that your mouse is perfectly precise and controllable, with the interval set to 64? If that is the case, could you please try to explain to me exactly how you are setting the interval, so I can see if I can spot any errors there.

Thanks
Rainor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krejler
usbhid is build-in in kernel.
Executing 'echo 60 > /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll', re-plugin mouse.

In The DE i can't feel difference, but in games (via cedega) pointing seems to be more slower & accurate (but not ideal, as in M$ Windows).
krejler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainor wrote:
krejler
usbhid is build-in in kernel.
Executing 'echo 60 > /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll', re-plugin mouse.

In The DE i can't feel difference, but in games (via cedega) pointing seems to be more slower & accurate (but not ideal, as in M$ Windows).

OK, just for a test, could you try to add the boot parameter "usbhid.mousepoll=<foo>", where foo is your wanted polling interval, to your bootloaders kernel commandline? For a start, try using 64. Then, after you've confirmed that your mouse is slow as hell, you could do the same thing, but use the polling interval you originally intended. Remember, lower is better.

If this doesn't work either, please, post on! :D

Thanks
Rainor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krejler
Sorry for long reply.
So, this boot option is working :)

I've tried three intervals: 0, 5, 64. On the high speed motions there is no difference. But on the low speed, '5' gives me really smooth motion.

In the games '64' & '5' is almost similar (strange thing :)). '2' is the greatest one, i think, but the difference with '0' is not big (unlike '64' and similar).
krejler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainor wrote:
krejler
Sorry for long reply.
So, this boot option is working :)

I've tried three intervals: 0, 5, 64. On the high speed motions there is no difference. But on the low speed, '5' gives me really smooth motion.

In the games '64' & '5' is almost similar (strange thing :)). '2' is the greatest one, i think, but the difference with '0' is not big (unlike '64' and similar).

Hi,

Good thing you got it working!

Also, 0 means the mouse default, or perhaps 'the last set value', but since you are using it as a boot parameter, it should mean the defalt of the mouse.

krejler
Rainor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for help, krejler! :)
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which values can I set for mousepoll= ? What is appropriate? I haven't found a documentation about min/max values there.
My usb mouse on the old laptop is quite lazy sometimes and just makes some breaks under heavy load.
Maybe I could improve that by mousepoll?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: