Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janlaur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
should i install xorg? cos i wanna use cygwins x server to run software
I have the cygwin xorg X server running in windows, and then forwarding to it from colinux, and the performance is slow. I get much better results with the vncserver solution.
I know it's cute having to see linux apps act as ordenary windows applications, but with current performance it's not very useable.
The colinux team apparently knows this, and has but this on their roadmap
Quote:
Frame buffer device. Let the native XFree86 server be used instead of using a "remote" X server provided by the host OS such as the Cygwin XFree86 server under Windows.
mahir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

ok i am getting a lack of space problem.

so i made a copy of the root image
mounted it
cleaned it

now i wanna put something there

maybe /usr

how do i copy/move /usr to the new partition??
i'd have to mount the new imagine under something like /mnt/1
then cp /usr to /mnt/1
then mount that new root as /usr

but

what is the CORRECT cp commands to use???

plz help!
mahir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: dont work again~! Reply with quote

this is what i get on the console window
help please!

conet-daemon: searching TAP "TAP-Win32 Adapter"
conet-daemon: scanned device "tap"
Error opening TAP Win32
Console: colour CoCON 80x25
janlaur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: dont work again~! Reply with quote

mahir wrote:
this is what i get on the console window
help please!

conet-daemon: searching TAP "TAP-Win32 Adapter"
conet-daemon: scanned device "tap"
Error opening TAP Win32
Console: colour CoCON 80x25
Show the config to the world, i use this one
Code:
<network index="0" type="tap" name="TAP"/>
From the console output, i would guess the you set name="TAP-Win32 Adapter", try setting that to name="TAP".
hotplainrice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) This should help other wireless coLinux users.
I got it from coLinux help forum.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/crawford/02april22.asp

Theres a typo, look out for the 1st step 'netsh bridge show' should be 'netsh bridge show a'[/url]
hotplainrice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) This should help other wireless coLinux users.
I got it from coLinux help forum.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/crawford/02april22.asp

Theres a typo, look out for the 1st step 'netsh bridge show' should be 'netsh bridge show a'
brazilian_joe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: two network devices? Reply with quote

Hiall, I have posted it on the Colinux mailing list, but no one answered yet.
I want to have two virtual ethernet cards (TAP) for the colinux-gentoo environment. This way, eth0 will do the internet stuff (dhcp), and eth1 will have a fixed IP and be a host-only network. But the sencond TAP does not work. eth0 runs without problems, but eth1 seems to not exist. This is part of my post:
-----
The new TAP showed up on the Network Connections. My first tap is named on windows as CoLinux. The Second TAP is named Host_Only. the 'CoLinux' connection is on the bridge, and receives the number from DHCP. I have assigned the IP number 192.168.100.1 to my 'Host_Only' adapter.

My default.colinux.xml has teh network set up like this:
<network index="0" type="tap" name="CoLinux"/>
<network index="1" type="tap" name="Host_Only" />

Inside gentoo , I have tried to set up a second device eth1 (using the ip number 192.168.100.10) to talk to the Host_Only. I used the same instructions that I have used to set up the same environment under VMWare (and it worked under VMWare).
But when I try to start the second interface (eth1), it gives teh following error:
SIOCSIFADDR: no such device
eth1: unknown interface: no such device
SIOCSIFBRADDR: no such device
eth1: unknown interface: no such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such device
I have seen this error before when I tried to turn on a NIC before I plugged it on the PCI slot (silly). It looks like CoLinux can only find one network card. Or am I doing anything wrong?
-----
Any ideas, directions, anybody care to try this setup too and post results?
rcxAsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to wake this thread from the near dead, but I've finally gotten Windows 2000 and have been trying to get coLinux working.

However, as with many others here, I can't bring eth0 up... Windows 2000 doesn't seem to have the same builtin "bridging" feature that Windows XP does? At least, I see no option to bridge the TAP connection to my existing LAN connection.

I then saw this in the README file and tried it with no success either:
Quote:
b. Bridging - This method allows the Cooperative Linux network
interface to directly interoperate with one of your built in networking
interfaces. You'll need to edit the configuration XML file to reflect
that type="bridged" and the 'name' parameter needs to be set to a
substring of the network adapter name that you will be bridging with.
Go the the network properties of your machine, and get the properties
of the adapter you will be bridging. Look at the text under the
'Connect Using' label. If it says, for example "Intel Pro Adapter",
then you would set the 'name' in the XML file to: name="Intel Pro".
See the Wiki at www.colinux.org for more information/help.

My config file currently is as follows:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<colinux>
    <block_device index="0" path="\DosDevices\D:\coLinux\gentoo-i586-ext3-2g-deluxe"
    enabled="true" />
    <bootparams>root=/dev/cobd0</bootparams>
    <image path="vmlinux" />
    <memory size="64" />
    <network index="0" type="bridged" name="Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter" />
</colinux>

Eh, is this not possible under Windows 2000?

(Notes, when trying to do what I did, I would get errors about missing DLLs.. I manually got these DLLs from the 0.6.0 installer of coLinux..)
nbrown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone updated to the most recent portage? I just did and now emerge doesn't work at all. It works fine on my true linux partition, but I get all kinds of tracebacks in colinux.

-nbrown
veggie2u
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, looks good, but two problems.

First, I am using Win2000, and can't for the life of me figure out how to set up this bridging mode people are talking about to the new interface.

Second, I don't get a cursor. There is a message that says
Code:

putfont: KDFONTOP: No such file or directory

several times and then says Failed to set user font.

I can still log in, but no cursor. Is this an issue with the gentoo image, or files on my Win2000 laptop?
rcxAsh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah :) I finally got coLinux an internet connection. I don't think Windows 2000 has the same bridging thing as Windows XP (at least that option is on the context menu).

However, I found this on the coLinux site:
http://colinux.org/wiki/index.php/PreBuiltBundles

It's about their pre-built bundles, but if you ignore everything irrelevant and scroll down to the heading, "Installing coLinux-20040429 with TAP networking on Windows 2000" and read the appropriate stuff, it worked for me.

I've quoted the main steps. The trick for me was the "always connected" thing. Without it, the Internet sharing on my real NIC would fail. After that, it eth0 came up!
Quote:
#

Change the TAP adapter to "always connected"

* Control Panel -> Network and Dial-up Connections -> File -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Property: Media status -> Value: Always Connected

#

Enable Internet Connection Sharing on real NIC

* Control Panel -> Network and Dial-up Connections; right-click on the real NIC name, Properties -> Sharing; check "Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this Connection"
* see http://cwelug.org/~rwcitek/colinux/win2k.ipconfig.all.txt

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is that when my firewall is on (ZoneAlarm), coLinux can't get outside to the Internet. Firewall off, fine. Heh... I'm not sure what settings to set to allow coLinux to access the internet. I added the executable to the allow list, but nothing. ZoneAlarm isn't even saying what it's doing. Hehe. Should ZoneAlarm stay? The main reason I decided to install it again was because day 1 of my Windows 2000 experience, I was being bombarded by the sasser worm.... so i fear for what else may arise.
blake121666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: two network devices? Reply with quote

brazilian_joe wrote:
Hiall, I have posted it on the Colinux mailing list, but no one answered yet.
I want to have two virtual ethernet cards (TAP) for the colinux-gentoo environment.

You probably need to assign an LAA to one of the tap adapters. It looks like the tap adapter uses the MAC 00:43:4F:4E:45:30. In Win XP, you can right-click the tap adapter while in "Network Connections" and edit the "Advanced" properties. Assign it a unique local MAC address. Off the top of my head, I don't remember which bit determines local addresses (I think it's the second nybble of the first byte - bit 5) but you can jut use Sun's convention of using 08:00:20:xx:xx:xx.

EDIT: Oops, i just tried this and the LAA doesn't get applied. I don't think you can use 2 adapters with the same MAC address; so I don't know if using 2 tap adapters is doable.

EDIT #2: I just looked at the "Current Status" of coLinux v 0.6.1 which was released on 5/29/04 (yesterday) at www.colinux.org and the first thing on the bullet list is:

* Multiple virtual NICs are supported (eth1, eth2, etc...).

So, maybe upgrading will solve your problem.
probate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: dual-boot operation Reply with quote

I have a dual-boot Gentoo/WinXP system, and recently got coLinux booting off the Gentoo partitions. (coLinux version 0.6.1-2.4.26) Tres sweet - the best of both worlds running on one box, at the same time.

I'd like to be able to boot Gentoo either natively or under coLinux without any manual reconfiguration. Here is what I have done so far.

I've set up a new runlevels for boot and default, so I can start different services when run under coLinux. These are accessed by setting the bootlevel and softlevel bootparams in my colinux.xml file.

I've set up the isStandAlone script recommended in the coLinux wiki, and that works nicely at detecting how Gentoo has been booted. See http://www.colinux.org/wiki/index.php/ConvertingDistributions

I've used this script in a modified /etc/X11/startDM.sh to copy a different gdm.conf into place, so that a local X server is not started when I boot under coLinux. I did this rather than removing xdm from the coLinux runlevel, because I still want gdm running to do XDMCP. I've configured xinetd to start Xvnc when I connect with a windows VNC client. Xvnc queries the XDMCP server, and I get a login screen. Works nicely, but too slow with Gnome/KDE - better with fluxbox.

The only remaining problem is the /etc/fstab file, which must be different under coLinux (using cobd devices instead of hda). I tried getting the /sbin/rc script to copy a different version into place during sysinit, but the filesystem is mounted read-only at that point.

Has anyone found a way around the /etc/fstab problem, or does it have to be manually altered before a reboot.
wilho
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm a bit lost with network stuff allso.

I can get both tap and bridged ways to work, eth0 is up, dhcp works, ping works, but data just won't flow through. Wget www.google.com times out, emerge rsync does it too and emerge-webrsync wont work either...

edit: --no wait - it's windoz firewall of course.. :oops:
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that this topic has helped me a LOT!
I downloaded colinux, installed, grabbed the necessary swap/root files and it ran.
Created an extra root-file which i mounted on my /usr using fstab and is it soooooo sweet :D

But 2 little questions:
1. Can I get root-files larger than 2gb? Its and ntfs-disk its on so it should be possible, but I cant resize them any larger....
2. How do i get the Windows service to behave nicely :/ I install the service and it starts CoLinux, but hangs on the "bringing eth0 up", when I run it manual it works like a charm ...

Thats all... the rest is beautiful :D
CopterGuy85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janlaur wrote:

Now i need to find a way to use one fstab in coLinux and one in "reallife", then it would be possible to boot the same linux in coLinux as in reallife :lol:

I just thought up of a way that you might be able to do this, but I haven't got the time atm to test it. It would go something like this:

1) Create two fstab files, like fstab.co and fstab.normal
2) Write two small scipts that create a symlink from fstab to either of the two files
3) Create a new runlevel (can you do this? I'm still a linux n00b :P) for coLinux
4) For both your regular runlevels and your new runlevel, add the appropriate script before the disks get mounted
5) Edit your colinux configuration to pass a "runlevel = x" or whatever new number you created

Again...I haven't done this and I'm not even sure if it's possible...but this is the way I would go about the problem. Let me know if it works :)

And ryceck, I get the same problem...works fine running the daemon manually, but it doesn't work as a service :(

EDIT: And somehow I completely missed Probate's post, lol :D

Last edited by CopterGuy85 on Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running this @ a P4, should i have used the i686 instead of the i586 image????? The i586 works but shouldnt the i686 work better? Whicht brings me back to the diskspace problem cuz the i686 is only a 1GB image :)
CopterGuy85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: HOWTO coLinux with gentoo Reply with quote

ryceck: Changing the filesize was mentioned in the first post:

janlaur wrote:

Increase the image size
Download topoenlarge-0.5.zip from http://hem.passagen.se/svto/tlinux/files/, unzip it, and run topoenlarge.bat. check the "find file" radio button, and press the "enlarge file" button. When you found the file and pressed "ok" the file should be enlarged. Remember that FAT32 can only handle up to 4gb (2^32bytes) files.

And I would assume that the i686 image would utilize more cpu features than the i586, but I doubt you would notice any speed increase (I could be wrong though).

Oh yeah, about the dual-boot, I just came across the website http://hprofile.sourceforge.net/. The first bullet item says:
Quote:
Manage multiple hardware configurations, for example if you boot your system both within VMWare and in a normal dualboot configuration, or if you have a laptop that that may or not be in a docking station.

So I guess I'll have to find a hard drive to partition as Linux and try this out :)

EDIT: I finally had time to go over that hprofile site, and it seems to implent something along the lines of what I had already posted (so I guess I was on the right track :) ) However, the only problem is that FAQ states something along the lines of "run the scripts as soon as possible, ie. right after local partitions are mounted." Which sounds nice, except when we're trying to use different fstab files :( Still, there may be a way to work something around all this.
ryceck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HOWTO coLinux with gentoo Reply with quote

[quote="CopterGuy85"]ryceck: Changing the filesize was mentioned in the first post:

janlaur wrote:

Increase the image size
Download topoenlarge-0.5.zip from http://hem.passagen.se/svto/tlinux/files/, unzip it, and run topoenlarge.bat. check the "find file" radio button, and press the "enlarge file" button. When you found the file and pressed "ok" the file should be enlarged. Remember that FAT32 can only handle up to 4gb (2^32bytes) files.

shame on me :oops: :oops:
It worked so thnx ;)

But still my service problem remains....
I have to start it manually or else my "system" will hang at bringing eth0 up.
No errors in the syslogs btw... :(
SNo0py
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcxAsh wrote:

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is that when my firewall is on (ZoneAlarm), coLinux can't get outside to the Internet. Firewall off, fine. Heh... I'm not sure what settings to set to allow coLinux to access the internet. I added the executable to the allow list, but nothing. ZoneAlarm isn't even saying what it's doing. Hehe. Should ZoneAlarm stay? The main reason I decided to install it again was because day 1 of my Windows 2000 experience, I was being bombarded by the sasser worm.... so i fear for what else may arise.

Hi! I have the same problem - do you have any solution for this?
Letar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, finally succeeded in having a working Gentoo installation with coLinux at work (Win 2000). Works trough very restrictive firewall and proxies and everything (albeit with emerge-webrsync but who cares it's working!).

I too had problems with compiling perl under coLinux, has anybody succeeded? Ended injecting it...
Burgin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Booting under CoLinux AND Standalone Reply with quote

I installed gentoo on a real partition the standard way (didn't use the gentoo images from the coLinux Wiki site) and I got it to boot under coLinux.

I would like to know the best way to manage parallel sets of certain configuration files (mainly fstab and the network settings) to make booting under Colinux and as Standalone seemless. This was touched upon in this earlier thread, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=163154&highlight=colinux< but no detailed solution has yet been posted.
janlaur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
* Added block device aliasing, e.g alias="hda2". You can specify
such an alias in the <block_device> element in the configuration
XML and expect coLinux to mount it, even when passed with root=.
NOTE: The cobdX device and its alias are mutual exclusive, which
means that you can't mount both of them at the same time.
Found this in http://www.colinux.org/snapshots/NEWS. So with the snapshots it should be possible to use the same fstab as in standalone (i havn't tried it yet).
The thing with alternate network setting, i've seen in several "laptop-tricks" threads, can't remember how though.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Booting under CoLinux AND Standalone Reply with quote

Burgin wrote:
I installed gentoo on a real partition the standard way (didn't use the gentoo images from the coLinux Wiki site) and I got it to boot under coLinux.

I would like to know the best way to manage parallel sets of certain configuration files (mainly fstab and the network settings) to make booting under Colinux and as Standalone seemless. This was touched upon in this earlier thread, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=163154&highlight=colinux< but no detailed solution has yet been posted.

For those using their real Gentoo installation under coLinux and trying to manage 2 fstab files (ie. one for Gentoo and one for coLinux).
Probate was on the right track when he talked about editing /sbin/rc & having it copy in the correct fstab. This is what works for me:
Create two fstab files in /etc, one for Gentoo called fstab.default, the other for coLinux called fstab.colinux.
At boot, have /sbin/rc remount '/' (rw), check the running kernel & copy over /etc/fstab with the correct one, remount '/' (ro).

Edit /sbin/rc, scroll down to just below
Code:
        echo -e " Copyright 2001-2003 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.; Distributed under the GPL"
        echo

Add in the following lines:
Code:
        echo -e "Detected running kernel version `uname -r`"
        echo -e "Adjusting /etc/fstab accordingly..."
        echo
mount -o rw,remount /
if [ -z `uname -r|grep "\-co-"` ];
        then
cp /etc/fstab.default /etc/fstab
        else
cp /etc/fstab.colinux /etc/fstab
fi
mount -o ro,remount /

It should now boot seamlessly whether using coLinux or Gentoo.
There were some postings by Debian users that they get coLinux to use their normal /etc/fstab by just disabling the boot-up filesystem check (fsck). I'm not sure this is really a good idea, especially if the system is not shutdown nicely.
Another alternative I saw was to create /dev/hd(x) aliases in the colinux.xml file, allowing the normal /etc/fstab to be used. I've not tried it, but this may be the better way to go.

If you're Gentoo install autoloads a lot of modules on boot, under coLinux most of these will fail for obvious reasons. CoLinux will still boot & work, but I wanted to have coLinux boot cleanly without wasting time on modprobing modules that would fail and to not show any failures.
To do this, create another modules profile file in /etc/modules.autoload.d/ called kernel-colinux.
Edit /etc/init.d/modules, scroll down to just below
Code:
                # New support for /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-$KV
                if [ "$(get_KV)" -ge "$(KV_to_int '2.5.48')" ] && \
                   [ -f /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-"${KV_MAJOR}.${KV_MINOR}" ]
                then
                        load_modules /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-"${KV_MAJOR}.${KV_MINOR}"

Add in the following lines:
Code:
elif [ ! -z `uname -r|grep "\-co-"` ] ;
        then
                load_modules /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-colinux

I still get failures on coLinux attempting to start certain services. Note that things still work, just don't want the boot process wasting time & do not want to see the failures (as above).
Probate, I'd be most interested if you could post more details on how you created another services profile for coLinux.

Other stuff:
At the time of posting, the fltk console leaves a lot to be desired. For greater flexibility, use the nt-console.
This provides a full screen terminal (Alt+Enter), allows copy/paste to and from the terminal, different default fonts/window sizes can be used by clicking the top left corner and setting properties, and only opens one window when coLinux is started.
'colinux-daemon.exe -c default.colinux.xml -t nt' to have coLinux use it by default.
adodson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: GUI apps crash Reply with quote

I run a laptop dual booting Win2k and Gentoo. Everything seems fine when Gentoo is booted natively. I can boot the Gentoo partition under coLinux, and everything seems fine, exept GUI apps. I can use Cygwin X with ssh X forwarding apps, but they crash eventually. VNCserver and client crash if I try to use that. It works, but crashes soon after.
I can try to login using xdmcp, but gdm crashes.

I have a 2 GB swap partition I'm using, and I even set up a 512Mb swap file on the Windows file system. I tried different memory settings for the virtual machine, from 64 to 256Mb and with/without each swap device, getting the same results each time.

I have another partition, so installed a vanilla Red Hat 9 on that partition. Then I booted into Windows and ran that Red Hat under coLinux. I can do everything just fine there.

I started out using the latest stable release of coLinux, with the 2.4.26 kernel, but now I'm trying the latest snapshot with 2.6.7 kernel. I have the same results for both the Gentoo and Red Hat partitions with both coLinux kernels.

I don't know where to start. Have I built something with too narrow CFLAGS for this use? Xorg, Gnome, etc...???

Hardware is Compaq nx7010 with Pentium M 1.7Ghz and 512Mb RAM
CFLAGS are "-03 -march=pentium3 -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -msse -msse2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: