Problem with sun-jdk (1.4.0-r6)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meinholz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Problem with sun-jdk (1.4.0-r6) Reply with quote

I have installed the blackdown jdk and the IBM jdk without any problems, but I get the following error when I try and use the Sun jdk:

Error: failed /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so, because libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I just installed gentoo 1.4 rc1. I didn't have this problem with gentoo 1.2.

This sounds like a library naming problem or something, but I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

Lloyd
corporate_gadfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with sun-jdk (1.4.0-r6) Reply with quote

Could this be related to the fact that gentoo 1.4 rc1 uses gcc3.2, whereas none of the JDK providers have yet shipped a JDK compiled with gcc3.2. Isn't there somewhere where you can vote on this so that Sun/IBM/Blackdown will start shipping gcc3 compiled JDK?

Then again I could be wrong about my assumption above.

For myself, I needed java plugin support in mozilla/galeon and the only way to get that in my current environment (gcc3.2) was to compile a JDK with gcc3.2. Take a look at http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/javafromscratch.txt (mirror http://hints.se.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/javafromscratch.txt) on how to compile a JDK with gcc3.2.
meinholz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured it had something to do with gcc3.2. What puzzled me though is that IBM's jdk seems to work without problem and it isn't built from source. I can understand how the blackdown jdk works since it is build from source.

Thanks for the link to java from scratch, I didn't know that was an option. I'll give that one a shot.

Lloyd
meinholz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The java from scratch link was all I needed. I didn't really want or need to build the thing from scratch, I just had to copy the old libstdc library to $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386 and my Sun JDK works just fine now. Thanks again for that link!!!

Lloyd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: