make a global gentoo supercomputer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: make a global gentoo supercomputer? Reply with quote

I just had this crazy idea thinking about SETI@home and other similar projects. I'm currently working on a rendering cluster here for various 3D creations I make (check them out here if you're interested).
Basically it was creating a program that would take advantage of every unused computer running gentoo across the web to compile, render or just number crunch various stuff. I'm thinking of something similar to DrQueue where there's one central node with some decent bandwidth (DSL might be enough for the task, although faster would mean better :wink: and slaves that download temp files, number-crunch , send the output back and fetch a new one. That until the user of the computer logs on. Of course, if the screensaver kicks in the slave starts crunching again. I also want to restrict it to gentoo machines, at least at the beginning, just to show what Gentoo is capable of.

I don't know how feasible this would be, for someone with a SPARC compiling a program for a PPC arch, but it might be worth to try. Who knows, with as many users as we have, we might be able to create a "clustered super-computer" capable of making the news... it would most likely make the best use of all that energy that's used to just keep a computer up and running...kind of an environmental thought there...

Tell me what you think, I'm open to all comments.
By the way, I'll be headed to Portland, OR for college in the fall, so I might get more involved there as well.
SabonSorte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There already exists something that can do the compiling part: distcc.

Of course, it's not perfect, and it doesn't kick in on screensavers or anything, but it's a start if you want to do a compiling cluster.
blatch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be amazing if it was well-implemented and built into the distribution.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I know about distcc... the thing I don't really like all that much is the lack of GUI... it's so easy to manage a cluster with drqueue that it becomes ridiculous. Besides, it's so easy to have Drqueue running that all we would need to do would be to write the modules for gcc or new programs we'd want to use.
I think an emerge script is needed for drqueue, as it's pretty stable... but I dunno how to make them, although it's a good pretense to learn :)
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SabonSorte wrote:
There already exists something that can do the compiling part: distcc.

Of course, it's not perfect, and it doesn't kick in on screensavers or anything, but it's a start if you want to do a compiling cluster.
While with distcc you have to trust every one else, which is why an idea for a general purpose global super computer is difficult.

And with distcc specifically, you have to be using the same version of GCC.

I've thought about having of setting something up on my university network where people with Linux could run User-Mode Linux with distcc and donate their CPU cycles to aide in Gentoo compiling. The biggest advantage of UML is security, but its also nice since you could create a standard image for all the UML's and just tell people to 'run this' and they don't have to set anything up really.
nmcsween
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your really interested in this why not fire off an email to the folding@home guys im sure they'll be willing to give you some source / tips.
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: bandwidth Reply with quote

Oh, and something like distcc isn't feasible to be run on the internet, it has to be a LAN. You could try and design something that wasn't so bandwidth intensive, but that certainly wasn't a goal of distcc.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=145494
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: