View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: needa new gui Reply with quote

i like flux and all but what attracted me to fluxbox originally was it's incredible speed w/o sacrificing looks. functionality on the other hand....

anyway, now that i've gotta decent computer that can handle a bit more, i'd like a desktop that can do a bit more. my main desires are a taskbar that goes the full length of the screen, and desktop icons. don't ask me why but for some reason i gotta have desktop icons.

this leaves me with very few choices. three that i can think of. e16, kde, or gnome. i liked e16, and i still do. it's fast, it's pretty, and it's infinitely configurable. no desktop icons though (unless i were to get efs to work) and i can't stand the iconbox. pain in the ass that it is. downside is that you need it if you want to re-maximize windows (anyone know another way?).

that leaves me with kde and gnome.

i want to be able to easily theme it. i oughtta be able to drag and drop a folder with theme files in it, and refresh a list and bam! a new theme. i want sound effects. why? i dunno. i'll never use it, but at least the feature is there. i like startup sounds ;)

most important. it's gotta be stable. when i run unreal tournament or ut2k3 they run fast with fluxbox and nothing ever crashes. everything is seamless. i close unreal and my desktop is back (not skewed or distorted like within windows - sometimes).

my specs:

athlon xp 1800 (downclocked to 1ghz)
256mb ddr ram
geforce2 mx400
alsa sound

also looking for speed without sacrificing too much eye candy. kde is coded with c++ while gnome is done with c. what this means? i dunno. depends on what purist you talk to. but what does that mean for me?? i don't care!! it doesnt matter if it's one huge bash script (haha!) as long as it's fast and stable.

thanks everyone for their time!

ryan
lanark
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like "desktop environments..." if it implies a lot of 'useful' things that I don't want to use, as is the case of gnome and kde, asides of the annoyings that come of this monsters taking control of the system while running (guess like what OS... :wink: )

I like more a menu aproach than icons cluttering my desktop, but it's a kind of personal taste

If you can't live without icons, and want to be fast and responsive, why not to return to the good-old WindowMaker? It have kind of desktop icons and you can configure to play a sound on the start the way you configure whatever app you want to be started with WM, isn't it?
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used window maker in the past and i just don't like the interface. not really sure what it was about it. it was far too different i guess. i didnt like the way the icons worked either. so boxy.
keef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You keep mentioning 'speed' yet you downclock your cpu from ~1.53 GHz to 1.00 GHz? Why would you do that?

As for KDE vs. Gnome...I prefer KDE. The 3.0.3 version is stable enough...I have no problems running quake3/utdemo/etc.

After a fresh install of 1.4rc1 I'm currently using fluxbox just to check it out...so far I like it. I do miss the 'desktop' features provided by KDE so I may install that again eventually.

BTW: You need more RAM...256MB just doesn't cut it anymore IMO.

Dual Athlon MP 1800
Tyan Tiger MP (S2460)
1GB RAM
GeForce 2 GTS
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
ALSA sound
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip a coin, emerge either Gnome or KDE and use it for a while. Then try the other one. Really takes a while to adjust to a new environment though.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: needa new gui Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
my main desires are a taskbar that goes the full length of the screen, and desktop icons.

That makes me think of ROX: http://rox.sourceforge.net/
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: needa new gui Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
i like flux and all but what attracted me to fluxbox originally was it's incredible speed w/o sacrificing looks. functionality on the other hand....

anyway, now that i've gotta decent computer that can handle a bit more, i'd like a desktop that can do a bit more. my main desires are a taskbar that goes the full length of the screen, and desktop icons. don't ask me why but for some reason i gotta have desktop icons.

this leaves me with very few choices. three that i can think of. e16, kde, or gnome. i liked e16, and i still do. it's fast, it's pretty, and it's infinitely configurable. no desktop icons though (unless i were to get efs to work) and i can't stand the iconbox. pain in the ass that it is. downside is that you need it if you want to re-maximize windows (anyone know another way?).

that leaves me with kde and gnome.

i want to be able to easily theme it. i oughtta be able to drag and drop a folder with theme files in it, and refresh a list and bam! a new theme. i want sound effects. why? i dunno. i'll never use it, but at least the feature is there. i like startup sounds ;)

most important. it's gotta be stable. when i run unreal tournament or ut2k3 they run fast with fluxbox and nothing ever crashes. everything is seamless. i close unreal and my desktop is back (not skewed or distorted like within windows - sometimes).

my specs:

athlon xp 1800 (downclocked to 1ghz)
256mb ddr ram
geforce2 mx400
alsa sound

also looking for speed without sacrificing too much eye candy. kde is coded with c++ while gnome is done with c. what this means? i dunno. depends on what purist you talk to. but what does that mean for me?? i don't care!! it doesnt matter if it's one huge bash script (haha!) as long as it's fast and stable.

thanks everyone for their time!

ryan

you know you love fluxbox, so just stay with it, you can get icons in fluxbox and you can also have the task bard span the bottom of the screen

http://yellowk.n3.net/~kappax/screenshots/

( i dont have icons but it can be done if i can find the link to the place i seen it )
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keef wrote:
You keep mentioning 'speed' yet you downclock your cpu from ~1.53 GHz to 1.00 GHz? Why would you do that?

because i only have one fan at the moment (on the proc) and my system runs too hot at normal speed. im buying 4 case fans this weekend so i'll be able to go back to normal soon. s'what you get when you build it piece by piece ;)
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! what is that you've got running across the top?! it's awesome!

and how'd you get the slit to span across the entire screen??

as for desktop icons... don't say rox :P that thing sucks. it's hideous. eye candy, baby. that's all im asking for. eye candy and functionality. gotta have those desktop icons ;)
m00re
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "thing" on top looks pretty good; reminds me of Litestep as windows shell-substitution (a theme for litestep has nearly the same look).

I agree to kraylus in some parts. Fluxbox is great, but it still misses some futures I would like to have: desktop icons, being able to use pixmaps for theming. Something like modules/dockapps in Litestep/WMaker. If I could customize my desktop similar to a Litestep desktop, I would be happy. Or definign the maximum screen area which is usable (when you maximize a window, it only gets maximized to that area. Gkrellm would always be visible, without being in front of another program.). Great would also be the possibility to scale TTF fonts for the fluxbox styles.

I think there's still a lot to do for the linux desktop. And if I could code C/C++ a little better, I would help where I can.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m00re wrote:
Or definign the maximum screen area which is usable (when you maximize a window, it only gets maximized to that area. Gkrellm would always be visible, without being in front of another program.)

enlightenment does that by default and allows you to specify it if you want. i hated that feature though. i only run at 1024x768 so with gkrellm, the iconbox, and epplets... i had little room for window space. s'why i want just a taskbar.
slikdigit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waimea is another 'box, but it supports transparancies and pixmap themes. don't know about desktop items, tho. (icons, taskar)
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like in flux is a "Hotspot"-feature like in litestep.
When you hit the upper left/right corners of your screen with your mouse, you switch workspaces.
I too would like to know whats that thing on the top of your desktop?
Houdini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlightenment is your friend, if you want a desktop that looks like it belongs in a Sci-Fi movie.
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gnome myself and liking it very much. But to you I would suggest continue to use fluxbox but install rox with it. Then you can have a panel, icons on the desktop and I fast filemanager with it!!!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zypher wrote:
When you hit the upper left/right corners of your screen with your mouse, you switch workspaces.
If they do implement that, I hope it is optional. I've never cared for screen flipping via cursor.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always annoyed me when I was using Litestep. I'd go to close a maximised window and get flicked onto another workspace instead. There isn't any real need for it in Fluxbox IMO, the desktop wheeling feature is great.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Flip a coin, emerge either Gnome or KDE and use it for a while. Then try the other one. Really takes a while to adjust to a new environment though.

Just emerge both.
And try both.
They are very similar, it's just a question of taste.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
IMO, the desktop wheeling feature is great.

If you have a wheel mouse... ;)
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously :)

Even if your mouse doesn't have a wheel, you can always use bbpager or something similar instead. It's not going to take much longer to click on it than it would to use a hotspot.
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about e17? have a look
BoBB
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Its called bbpager, and the slit will go as big as it needs to for what you have in it, it will even get wider(or taller depending where you put it) if there is too much for one side, like say 2 gkrellm's

Quote:

I agree to kraylus in some parts. Fluxbox is great, but it still misses some futures I would like to have: desktop icons, being able to use pixmaps for theming. Something like modules/dockapps in Litestep/WMaker. If I could customize my desktop similar to a Litestep desktop, I would be happy. Or definign the maximum screen area which is usable (when you maximize a window, it only gets maximized to that area. Gkrellm would always be visible, without being in front of another program.). Great would also be the possibility to scale TTF fonts for the fluxbox styles.

There are alot of dockapps for *box and AFAIK all windowmaker dockapps will run perfectly in the slit. Just run it like a normal app with the -w switch. And you can specify it so it wont max over the slit, and open gkrellm in the slit (via the -w switch) and all of a sudden your programs dont get maximised over gkrellm :)
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:

as for desktop icons... don't say rox :P that thing sucks. it's hideous. eye candy, baby. that's all im asking for. eye candy and functionality. gotta have those desktop icons ;)

Yo, to get the slit to go full with of screen, .fluxbox/init is the file you need to edit.

session.screen0.toolbar.widthPercent: 100 <- that is the line that does it.

Things on the top. starting from the left

1. Cpu meater (search google for "doc apps" and the first site will be the site i found it)
2. weather (same site as cpu meater)
3. 12 desktops, via bbpager
4 cpu temp (same site as above)
5. mem meater outer ring is ram iner rig is swap

to get the top slit to span the desktop, you have to fill it with desktops, add more desktops or make the desktop in the pager wider for larger rez.
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m00re wrote:
That "thing" on top looks pretty good; reminds me of Litestep as windows shell-substitution (a theme for litestep has nearly the same look).

I think there's still a lot to do for the linux desktop. And if I could code C/C++ a little better, I would help where I can.

yeah sorta like lightstep, no real taks bar so i just leave everything open and move to another window when i need more space.

for desktopicons!! they have them!!

idesk (not sure who told me aobut this but it was in #gentoo, thanks who to whom told me about this )

http://dramamine.darktech.org/~nikon/src/screen.png

you can get it here

http://dramamine.darktech.org/~nikon/src/
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee i got ideskworking!!

screenshot

http://yellowk.n3.net/~kappax/screenshots/ss19.png
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: