Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Themes.org reborn as themes.freshmeat.net!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Apr 2002
Posts: 661
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Themes.org reborn as themes.freshmeat.net! Reply with quote

I open up galeon and stumbled upon some news at Slashdot which pointed to an article at freshmeat.net. Basically, themes.org is back and is actually themes.freshmeat.net. Bout time huh?

For the story about the move check out: http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/439/

To check out the themes: http://themes.freshmeat.net
_________________
- Kyle Manna

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B_F_Skinner
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Oct 2002
Posts: 71
Location: Seattle, Washington

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matje
l33t
l33t


Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 617
Location: Hasselt, Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehmké... Either the forum times are really screwed up, or someone else is :P ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 395
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matje wrote:
ehmké... Either the forum times are really screwed up, or someone else is :P ;-)


Oooh, I don't know. This is awfully old news, after all.

I have a friend who works as an editor for Freshmeat, and gets paid! It's a disgrace, if only I could have a job like that.

-- Curious
_________________
Are you down with the Hawk?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 17 Apr 2002
Posts: 2602
Location: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matje wrote:
ehmké... Either the forum times are really screwed up, or someone else is :P ;-)

It was originally posted in a timely fashion from what I remember. The timestamp says May 2, 2002.
_________________
if i never try anything, i never learn anything..
if i never take a risk, i stay where i am..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2002
Posts: 430
Location: Naples Italy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look! We've got 2 thread revivals! (not counting the usual "almost-sticky" ones)

On the topic... - although rather late to make such a statement - unfortunately the entire bulk of content previously present on themes.org is forever lost. What you can find from the old themes and other resources is because people took the pain to re-submit them. I remember downloading an extreme amount of "strange" fonts to work with gimp... all lost now (even for me along a partition crash quite some time ago). Even more importantly, during the absence of themes.org the gap was starting to fill from single-focus projects (like kde-look) so even now with a come-back themes.org is lacking the fresher of artistic contributions.
_________________
Need to flame people LIVE on IRC? Join #gentoo-otw on freenode!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 395
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
unfortunately the entire bulk of content previously present on themes.org is forever lost. What you can find from the old themes and other resources is because people took the pain to re-submit them.


What you say?

I have a theme on there for Windowmaker that survived the Great Move, and I certainly didn't resubmit it - because I don't even have a copy anymore.

-- Curious
_________________
Are you down with the Hawk?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2002
Posts: 430
Location: Naples Italy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then, you are one of the lucky ones.... There is so much stuff you won't find anymore. I think it all happened because after that lame intrusion they had to be extremely prejudiced with purging anything that looked even slightly probably compromised.
_________________
Need to flame people LIVE on IRC? Join #gentoo-otw on freenode!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cid Highwind
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
KiTaSuMbA wrote:
unfortunately the entire bulk of content previously present on themes.org is forever lost. What you can find from the old themes and other resources is because people took the pain to re-submit them.


What you say?

I have a theme on there for Windowmaker that survived the Great Move, and I certainly didn't resubmit it - because I don't even have a copy anymore.

-- Curious


I think they were less picky about deleting WindowMaker themes after the break-in because they don't contain any sort of executable code. The worst a compromised WM theme could do is put the goatse.cx guy on your wallpaper. Sawfish themes, IIRC contain bits of lisp code that get compiled and executed when you load the theme. Much bigger security risk...

I have a ~/GNUstep directory with close to 50 themes, some from before the t.o break-in. I've thought about putting them on themes.freshmeat.net, but I've lost the original names and credits for a lot of them. Besides, if the windowmanager poll is to be believed, only 8% of us use WindowMaker anyway. :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B_F_Skinner
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Oct 2002
Posts: 71
Location: Seattle, Washington

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame to have so much trouble with downloadable themes. This is one thing I always long for in Linux, that I miss from windows. I mean, I could do a quick search and get movie themes from official sites, music band themes, you name it.

I know it is just eye candy, but I spend so much time staring at the box that I want it to look pretty -- and be able to change it once in a while -- and have lots of choices.

The lack of themes for download isn't enough to draw me back over to the dark side, though...
_________________
A good, free book for newbies:
Rute's Linux User's Guide
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum