Powerbook G3, Problem with internal Modem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stolle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Powerbook G3, Problem with internal Modem Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo Linux 1.4 on a Powerbook G3 Lombard with Bronze Keyboard. Everything works fine! Gentoo People do a really great job!

But I have two problems:

1. The internal Modem doesn't work. Kernel finds it at boottime, see the messages log below, but it is not possible to use it with kppp, because I only found the two devices ttyS0 an ttyS1 in /dev but not tty00. So what's wrong here. I believe, I forget something to change in the devfsd.conf.

2. Mac OS X is on the harrdisk too. I installed "Mac on Linux" which works great, but I'm not able to use the keyboard. The pushed button in an editor for instance seems to be hang in OSX until I press ESC. I Know, there is a molrc.input in /etc/mol and I believe that the PB has a keyboard with ID "2" but it doesn't work, unfortunately.

Thanks
Stolle

messages logfile:

1. Modem

Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: macserial: serial modem detected
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: PowerMac Z8530 serial driver version 2.0
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: tty00 at 0xc98de020 (irq = 15) is a Z8530 ESCC (internal modem)
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: tty01 at 0xc98e5000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC (IrDA)

2. Keyboard

Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: ADB keyboard at 2, handler 1
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: Detected ADB keyboard, type ANSI.
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: input1: ADB HID on ID 2:2.c3
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: input2: ADB HID on ID 7:7.1f
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 4 (trackpad)
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: input3: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01
Sep 23 14:59:17 powerbook kernel: adb: finished probe task...
Boomer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolle,

I have an old wallstreet and fought the same modem problem for quite a while.

I cannot explain why this works, but somehow using the old, now depreciated identifiers for the modem solves the problem.

I created a link from /dev/modem to /dev/cua2. I believe that if you do the same and select /dev/modem in kppp you should be able to dial up.

If not, watch the messages at boot time, and check to see that the modem is recognized. If so, create the link to cuaX, with X being the same as in tty0X in the boot messages.

Boomer
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the MOL issues, there is a way to run a keyboard config for MOL of some sorts...check out startmol --help for deatils (I think)

for the modem try /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 (looks like its S0)...the log reports it wrong because devfs is not mounted yet at that point (try also setting the "automaticall mount at boot" option for devfs in kernel to get a more accureate display, or pass devfs=mount as a kernel argument at boot time
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: