View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: gentoo-ppc n00b Reply with quote

Okay, my first post so a quick intro. I am a Mac user through and through, but I also have an interest in the open-source movement. I have played around with LinuxPPC a little bit about four years ago (my first taste of *NIX). Since then I have goofed around with Mandrake, SuSE and currently I have a ThinkPad running RedHat. I'm now going to give gentoo a shot.

My question lies at this though. Just picked up a new Dual G4 867. I had a spare 6gig HDD lying around so I threw it in (on the ATA/66 bus) and I decided to put gentoo 1.2 on it (hell, why not eh?).

So I downloaded the ISO, burnt up a copy and restarted my Mac. Followed the installation instructions and ran into a problem when trying to format the hard drive.

The command was:

mac-fdisk /dev/hdc

and there lies my problem. There was no hdc, nor is there an hda, hdb or any other ide harddrive. I really feel stupid, but I have zero idea on how to select this HDD with mac-fdisk.

Any ideas?
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Hard drive not recognized Reply with quote

Well, I must point out the obvouse. Did you pin it out correctly? Upon boot off the cd did you notice the drive being picked up. This is a slave drive? Can OS X disk utlity see the other drive, of course if your dual booting?
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard drive not recognized Reply with quote

theneopro wrote:
Well, I must point out the obvouse. Did you pin it out correctly? Upon boot off the cd did you notice the drive being picked up. This is a slave drive? Can OS X disk utlity see the other drive, of course if your dual booting?

Yes, I think so. I didn't actually see if it picked it up off of the CD boot. It is rather fast on my new machine, heh heh. (If I did I would be able to see where it was in the /dev) I'll look more closely tonight I guess.

It is connected correctly. I had made a backup of the stuff I had on it in Mac OS X 10.2.1, and then erased it.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there using one of the new PMacs who might be having the same problems... :?
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: just noticed Reply with quote

hey pi radians-

i just noticed that you were trying to use "mac-fdisk /dev/hdc"

hdc is set for the cdrom. Or is that the reconfiguration of your settings.
mine and usually it should be hda.

or did you figure that out already????
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: also Reply with quote

Also try :
#cat /pro/partitions

this will show you some good info
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: opps Reply with quote

misspelled

thats
#cat /proc/partitions

sowey
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: opps Reply with quote

theneopro wrote:
misspelled
#cat /proc/partitions

Okay, I did this and it did not work :x

It showed the table headers " major minor ....", but nothing more

So I figure my harddrives are just not being seen at all.

As for the hdc thing, I did try it with hda and id didn't work either. I must remind you though that my Mac (one of the new G4s) has 3 IDE buses, not 2 like all of the older ones.

Any other ideas?
pfeifer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide an output from dmesg?

look for a section like this (notice the 3 IDE buses 0-2):

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
pmac_ide: enabling IDE bus ID 2
pmac_ide: enabling IDE bus ID 0
pmac_ide: enabling IDE bus ID 1
hda: IBM-DTLA-305030, ATA DISK drive
hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX140E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0xe520c000-0xe520c007,0xe520c160 on irq 19
ide1 at 0xe5210000-0xe5210007,0xe5210160 on irq 20
hda: Enabling Ultra DMA 4
ide_pmac: Set UDMA timing for mode 4, reg: 0x0c50038c
hda: 60036480 sectors (30739 MB) w/380KiB Cache, CHS=59560/16/63, UDMA(66)
ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
hdc: Enabling MultiWord DMA 2
ide_pmac: MDMA, cycleTime: 120, accessTime: 90, recTime: 30
ide_pmac: Set MDMA timing for mode 2, reg: 0x00011d26

Also what is listed in your /proc/ide directory?

Are there symbolic links like this:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Sep 28 00:18 hda -> ide0/hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Sep 28 00:18 hdc -> ide1/hdc
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cigaraficionado wrote:
Can you provide an output from dmesg?

Okay, going through the list you had, these are the ones my system came up with:

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
pmac_ide: enabling IDE bus ID 2
pmac_ide: enabling IDE bus ID 0
hdc: PHILIPS CDDS101, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0xe5210000-0xe5210007,0xe5210160 on irq 20
ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
hdc: Enabling MultiWord DMA 2
ide_pmac: MDMA, cycleTime: 120, accessTime: 90, recTime: 30
ide_pmac: Set MDMA timing for mode 2, reg: 0x00011d26

cigaraficionado wrote:
Also what is listed in your /proc/ide directory?

There is one symbolic link that is:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Sep 28 00:18 hdc -> ide1/hdc

So, like I said before, it's just not seeing my harddrives at all. I hove no idea what to do.
Sponti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: no hard drive found on new dual G4 Reply with quote

pi radians wrote:
Okay, my first post so a quick intro. I am a Mac user through and through, but I also have an interest in the open-source movement. I have played around with LinuxPPC a little bit about four years ago (my first taste of *NIX). Since then I have goofed around with Mandrake, SuSE and currently I have a ThinkPad running RedHat. I'm now going to give gentoo a shot.

My question lies at this though. Just picked up a new Dual G4 867. I had a spare 6gig HDD lying around so I threw it in (on the ATA/66 bus) and I decided to put gentoo 1.2 on it (hell, why not eh?).

So I downloaded the ISO, burnt up a copy and restarted my Mac. Followed the installation instructions and ran into a problem when trying to format the hard drive.

The command was:

mac-fdisk /dev/hdc

and there lies my problem. There was no hdc, nor is there an hda, hdb or any other ide harddrive. I really feel stupid, but I have zero idea on how to select this HDD with mac-fdisk.
Any ideas?

I have exacly the same problem on my G4 Dual 867. First I thought, the problem comes from the Gentoo Distribution Installer, but then I discovered, the Debian Installer cannot find any drives, nor can Yellow Dog. Seems like Apple changed something.... *argh* I have two internal drives. I tried different jumper settings, master/slave and cable select, even disconnected the second drive and booted with just one drive set as master.... no success.

Has anyone with a new dual G4 had success?

Thanks for any help
Sponti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: no hard drive found on new dual G4 Reply with quote

Update to the previous post:

Sponti wrote:
I have exacly the same problem on my G4 Dual 867. First I thought, the problem comes from the Gentoo Distribution Installer, but then I discovered, the Debian Installer cannot find any drives, nor can Yellow Dog. Seems like Apple changed something.... *argh* I have two internal drives. I tried different jumper settings, master/slave and cable select, even disconnected the second drive and booted with just one drive set as master.... no success.

Has anyone with a new dual G4 had success?

Thanks for any help

I looked at the YDL Site for supported hardware and found some interesting info that could help: You have to connect your internal drives to the ATA 66 chain, until a new kernel supports the ATA 100 chain. Should help with Gentoo, too :wink: I just cannot understand why it's so difficult to post some info about supported hardware on the Gentoo Site to help interested users save some time (hours or even days!). Frankly, that's the main reason why Linux is said to be "for freaks only". And it's right, but maybe just my opinion.

Sponti
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: no hard drive found on new dual G4 Reply with quote

Sponti wrote:
I looked at the YDL Site for supported hardware and found some interesting info that could help: You have to connect your internal drives to the ATA 66 chain, until a new kernel supports the ATA 100 chain. Should help with Gentoo, too :wink: I just cannot understand why it's so difficult to post some info about supported hardware on the Gentoo Site to help interested users save some time (hours or even days!). Frankly, that's the main reason why Linux is said to be "for freaks only". And it's right, but maybe just my opinion.

Sponti

So did this work for you? The drive I've been trying to install was on the ATA66 bus and no luck. Right now I'll disconnect the HDD on the ATA100 bus and see if that does anything.
Sponti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: no hard drive found on new dual G4 Reply with quote

pi radians wrote:
So did this work for you? The drive I've been trying to install was on the ATA66 bus and no luck. Right now I'll disconnect the HDD on the ATA100 bus and see if that does anything.

Yes, it did solve my problem, the Installer found the drives, and I could repartition and install YDL 2.3. But when I tried to boot Linux from this partition, the screen went grey and the mac froze right after the yboot menu. I didn't get it to work yet. BTW, my drives were configured master/slave, installing on the master disk.

I didn't try with Gentoo due to lack of time. I need an iso with pppoe enabled to install.

Sponti
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: no hard drive found on new dual G4 Reply with quote

Sponti wrote:
pi radians wrote:

Yes, it did solve my problem, the Installer found the drives, and I could repartition and install YDL 2.3. But when I tried to boot Linux from this partition, the screen went grey and the mac froze right after the yboot menu. I didn't get it to work yet. BTW, my drives were configured master/slave, installing on the master disk.

I didn't try with Gentoo due to lack of time. I need an iso with pppoe enabled to install.

Sponti

Okay, it didn't work for me. Maybe its my HDD, but it does work in OS X and Mac OS 9. I'm becoming very confused.

I don't have YDL so I don't know how that'll work for me. (Maybe I'll go download the ISOs right now)

I also attached the HDD to the ATA33 bus as a slave seeing if that'll work but it didn't.
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Okay, I downloaded YDL and tried it out but it didn't work either.

Then I decided to calm down and just RTFM (the one for my new computer). Well the answer was in front of me all along. Apple suggests that all harddrives are to be placed not as master or slave, but cable select. I switched my jumpers and viola! It now works.

I then tried the YDL install and it saw my harddrive but later in the installation crashed. I will be trying to do gentoo right now....

.... and it didn't work. Snap!
Sponti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solved Reply with quote

pi radians wrote:
Okay, I downloaded YDL and tried it out but it didn't work either.

Then I decided to calm down and just RTFM (the one for my new computer). Well the answer was in front of me all along. Apple suggests that all harddrives are to be placed not as master or slave, but cable select. I switched my jumpers and viola! It now works.

I then tried the YDL install and it saw my harddrive but later in the installation crashed. I will be trying to do gentoo right now....

.... and it didn't work. Snap!

Sad, sad. But YDL should work, somehow. They deliver new Dual Macs preinstalled with YDL. I don't get it.

Sponti
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solved Reply with quote

Sponti wrote:

Sad, sad. But YDL should work, somehow. They deliver new Dual Macs preinstalled with YDL. I don't get it.

Sponti

Both times I tried to install YDL it cam up at said that it couldn't determine a network interface. And it gave errors in two different sections of the installer telling me not to continue the install.

Gentoo was even worse. It can see my 6GB HDD as hdb, but it claims that it can't read any of it.

Luckily I don't really need Linux on this computer (Mac OS X is plenty fine to get real work done) but I still want to have it on my Mac so I don't have to use my ThinkPad for school.
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it. I give up. YDL installed everything but it never detected any network devices (besides I don't want to use YDL, thats why I'm here on Gentoo.org) and it wouldn't let me boot into it.

I'm going to try again once gentoo 1.4 is released.

Until then...
Sponti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi radians wrote:
Fuck it. I give up. YDL installed everything but it never detected any network devices (besides I don't want to use YDL, thats why I'm here on Gentoo.org) and it wouldn't let me boot into it.

I'm going to try again once gentoo 1.4 is released.

Until then...

Yea, I do the same. See you next time

Sponti
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys.. simple solution

1) put the drive onthe _same_ bus as your cdrom device (macke sure to pin it correctly as master or slave as needed)
2) it should get picked up no problems for isntallation, likely as hdd
3) leave it on that bus for now
4) make sure to enable the Promise IDE drivers in the kernel you build in the install (and the extra 2 options along with it)
5) you should now have things working fine for install AND reboot

the kernel doesn't have proper support for the ata100 bus yet, but the promise drivers may pick it up. The bus the cdrom is on works most definately and you should be able to keep the drive on there until there is proper support in the kernel...this holds tru for ALL ppc based distro's ATM as we're waiting on kernel stuff.

Gerk
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
The bus the cdrom is on works most definately and you should be able to keep the drive on there until there is proper support in the kernel...this holds tru for ALL ppc based distro's ATM as we're waiting on kernel stuff.

Gerk

Okay, I'l try her one last time (I keep on saying that, but never follow through. Odd eh?).

Here we go......
pi radians
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi radians wrote:
Okay, I'l try her one last time (I keep on saying that, but never follow through. Odd eh?).

Here we go......

Okay, it didn't work. In fact the only way I could get gentoo to see my HDD was on the ATA66 bus with cable select.

Something is amiss.
Sponti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi radians wrote:
Okay, it didn't work. In fact the only way I could get gentoo to see my HDD was on the ATA66 bus with cable select.

Something is amiss.

Thanks for telling. This way I will save my time :wink:
I will try again with the 1.4 release.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi radians wrote:

Something is amiss.

Cable select? Is this a Western Digital hard drive by chance? That sounds very bizarre to me
Sponti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
pi radians wrote:

Something is amiss.

Cable select? Is this a Western Digital hard drive by chance? That sounds very bizarre to me

In my case it's a Seagate ST360021A. Apple delivers this drive pinned cable select. The manual explicitly tells you to pin your drives using cable select. But I canged it to Master, it didn't work nevertheless. Thanks for your help. But I really think this is too much effort to get things working for now. I will wait and try with the new 1.4 release.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: