View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krejler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm eager to find out more about this too. :)
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup signed it :D Love the blizzard games, a linux port would be awesome
velvetunderground
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my uncle works for blizzard and i'm pretty sure he told me they're making a linux version (i'm currently playing the os x beta). i could be wrong though. any beta players give me a holler on the pvp server :) the alias is: tybalt
yutt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only because that would be a very peculiar thing to lie about, and I am anxiously awaiting World of Warcraft... Could you get a more certain response from your uncle, and then come back to us?

I mean, this would be big news for Linux gamers, you apparently have a somewhat inside source, and the best you can tell me is, "i could be wrong though"!??!

Seriously though, we'd really appreciate it. :D
Arngautr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not signed, though I would buy it for linux if it were available, Reason: while I respect their reason for asking for a phone number, I'm just not too keen on giving it out to random websites. I have (for some time now) included in my sig on the battle.net forums a statement of support for WoW on Linux, though I very rarely post there.
velvetunderground
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yutt:

i haven't been closely following the press statements blizzard has about releasing WoW on other platforms (of which i mean operating systems) and whatever my uncle may tell me is not an official blizzard statement. this is where the "i could be wrong" part comes from. i stick with my original statement :)
spindle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed! #14361

I would love to not have to go boot into XP to play. It's the only thing I use XP for at the moment. I might try the wine thing if I want a challenge but man that can be a pain.
Master Shake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one would love to play starcraft or diablo natively on linux. I still play starcraft and it came out how many years ago? I'll sign it if it means that they'll port starcraft.
P35 Chipset
4 Gigs 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX @ 630mhz
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spindle wrote:
Signed! #14361

I would love to not have to go boot into XP to play. It's the only thing I use XP for at the moment. I might try the wine thing if I want a challenge but man that can be a pain.

if its as easy to play WoW as to play diablo 2 or warcraft 3 then u wont have problems with it in wine
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note, someone mentioned that WoW should be the first native MMORPG for Linux. Well they're too late, as the ATITD already had a native linux client. Agreed ATITD may not be on the scale of WoW, but it is still an MMORPG :)

WoW support in linux would be GREAT, as I hate having to use Cedega or Wine to get programs running. A native client for WoW surely couldn't be too hard, as the game appears to run 95% now, all they would need to do is a) work towards 100% compatibility with WINE or b) port the front-end of the current Windows client to native linux and get the ALSA support fixed. OpenGL in WoW means 75% of the game port to linux is already done!

I used to play SWG until I moved to Gentoo, and never got around to getting a copy of Cedega or WINE installed for the games. Too much effort, and I got bored of SWG anyway.

But WoW looks like a stayer, and a native linux client would have me playing it many hours a day :)
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed, 14,000 and something. If blizzard doesn't acknowledge this soon, I'm going to start festering. :(
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the numbers are right, and I think they are, and that everyone on that list agreed to buy the game and a years subscription, blizzard' be looking at about 3 or 4 million for making an unofficial linux port. To me, I don't think it'd be TOO hard. And for that kind of money, shit, ID does it for free. I don't get some companies....
xordan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ard Righ wrote:
Just a note, someone mentioned that WoW should be the first native MMORPG for Linux. Well they're too late, as the ATITD already had a native linux client. Agreed ATITD may not be on the scale of WoW, but it is still an MMORPG :)

lol, PlaneShift has had a native linux client for a couple of years :P A 64-bit one even. But WoW would be the first large scale to have one, which is a big step.

And I signed :) No. 14000 and something big. If WoW does see that they're mostly all unique then it would be a good buisness decision to compile a client for linux, both for publicity and the money. Of course they'd have to maintain it which costs a bit of money, but nothing compared to the income they'd get off it.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I read there was a Linux client for wow in the Beta. But it dissapeared...

Maybe this is a myth maybe not.
Fact is if you enter
Code:
 grep Linux WoW.exe

for Linux you get a match.

The problem could be that they do not have enough devs for supporting a client besides the servers :(

What matters:
I signed the petition long ago. I hope it get released some day :)
Cagnulein
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed...15000+ users...i hope something happened at blizzard's home :wink:

Last edited by Cagnulein on Sun May 29, 2005 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed: #15048
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, online petitions carry absolutely zero weight with game publishers and just about anyone else. It's far too easy to just sign an online petition. For all they know, it could just be the same person signing multiple times. If you really want to make a difference, send them actual pieces of mail asking them for Linux ports. If they had gotten ten thousand pieces of mail asking them for Linux ports, they might actually do it. In the meantime, you're all wasting your breath on a petition that no one at Blizzard will ever see or think is legit.
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:
Guys, online petitions carry absolutely zero weight with game publishers and just about anyone else. It's far too easy to just sign an online petition. For all they know, it could just be the same person signing multiple times. If you really want to make a difference, send them actual pieces of mail asking them for Linux ports. If they had gotten ten thousand pieces of mail asking them for Linux ports, they might actually do it. In the meantime, you're all wasting your breath on a petition that no one at Blizzard will ever see or think is legit.

Let us :P
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenkel wrote:
DarkStalker wrote:

Let us :P

I have no problem with that, it's just that I don't want people to get their hopes up with the online petition and if they really want this to happen, they know how to make it happen.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted blizzard regarding this, I'm waiting thier response now.
lord_ph
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place to send these porting requests is ( at least that is what the support guy said):

Blizzard Entertainment
PO box 18979
Irvine, CA 92623

The tech support rep said we could also put something like "Attention: Development Team" or something. I would recommend agreeing to send the letters to one place, so they can see the demand that is out there. But i could be wrong on this.

Let the Petition letters begin. I know i will send mine out later today. I will also try to post a copy of it in this forum to make other people's lives easier.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nagging a big company will never work. They care about money, thats it, (nothing bad about that, thats how most successful companies are) and they just don't think enough linux users will pay for the game.

But then again, they are bringing in millions, maybe billions of dollars from the ****ing *****y *** **** **** ****y**** ****ed monthly fees.
lord_ph
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all in how you write it, which was why i am going to post something up. If i bitch, moan, & whine to them that they aren't putting out a linux client, then they won't listen to me. However, if i ( and everyone else that signed that petition) write up "user friendly" letter, then maybe they might pay attention to us.

If we can show that there is a demand for their products in the linux community, and that this demand is large enough to produce profit for them; i see no logical reason why they would continue to reject creating a linux version of their games.

I know its an old saying but, "you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar".
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved a bunch of duplicates of this thread to Dupes. This is now the "official" WoW petition thread.
elBivio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed #15674 :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: