Need troubleshooting help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Need troubleshooting help Reply with quote

I am having an occassional problem with network connectivity and am seeking a little help.

About 4 days ago:
I installed Gentoo and had networking configured and running great. I emerged a few apps. I started to emerge another app and it failed because it could not connect to any of the sites; was resolving the IPs OK though. I could ping all the sites as well. Decided to check the forums, but kept getting connection timed out errors for Gentoo and any other site I tried. Again I could resolve and ping fine. Assuming that not every webserver in the world could be down at the same time, I decided I had a problem. Rebooted. (Sorry, Win-Reaction) But in this case it helped. Immediately after the reboot, I could access web pages, So I tried the emerge again and it went without a hitch. I chalked up to just one of those things and went on with my life.

Tonight:
I logged on, read and sent email, browsed the forums, and then worked on some C tutorials (hello-world level stuff). After a couple of hours I decided to go to the Vim website but got connection timed out. Tried every site I could think of and had the same problem. Again I could resolve and ping fine. Rebooted and all was well again. So I immediately came here for some help. Should have tested email, ftp, and ssh to see if those worked, but I did not think of it till during the reboot.

My feeling is this is a hardware issue. Is there a way to re-initialize the NIC without rebooting when this happens to test? Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Any guidance would be appreciated.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other kernel support options for your NIC? Some read experiemental or whatnot.

You can try /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop and then /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start (Assuming you use eth0 of course).
Shaun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NIC is an Intel Corp. Ethernet Express Pro 100. I am not sure what you mean by other kernel support options. It is an older card and I am pretty sure the drivers are really mature at this stage.

Thanks for the "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop and then /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" tip. I will try that next time before rebooting.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
The NIC is an Intel Corp. Ethernet Express Pro 100.

Make sure you're using the correct kernel driver:

Code:
cat /usr/src/linux/.config |grep EEPRO

Should output something like
Code:
CONFIG_EEPRO100=y

Also, what kind of an internet connection are you on? (cable, T1, etc.)

Shaun wrote:
Thanks for the "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop and then /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" tip.

You can also just do:
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

--kurt
Shaun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber-
I have a cable internet connection through a Linksys router; all IPs are static. During these instances, other machines are not experiencing the same thing.
Code:

shaun@boddhi shaun $ cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep EEPRO
CONFIG_EEPRO100=y
shaun@boddhi shaun $

Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happens, do you see ping dropping packets excessively? Can you connect to the same site using other browsers (or even links)? Also, if you do a "wget -O - <site>", can you see anything?
Shaun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
When this happens, do you see ping dropping packets excessively?

Ping produces good results. No packets lost at all.

Naan Yaar wrote:
Can you connect to the same site using other browsers (or even links)?

I do not have another browser installed. But I can not connect to any site directly or through bookmarks.

Naan Yaar wrote:
Also, if you do a "wget -O - <site>", can you see anything?

I think (remember I'm new) that emerge uses wget to download the source(correct?). And emerge failing to connect is what first brought my attention to the issue. I will have to try that next time it happens with the -O option though. Added to my 'try this' file.

Thanks,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: