View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: KDE/Mozilla failing with Athlon XP and KT333 chipset Reply with quote

I'm running an Athlon XP 1800+ with a Gigabyte 7vrxp motherboard (uses the KT333 chipset) Doing a fresh install of Gentoo 1.4rc1, it fails consistently when I try to compile KDE and/or Mozilla.

Error messages vary, but here's a couple of typical examples:

Mozilla
Code:
gcc -o jsemit.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.4\" -DOSARCH=\"Linux\" -DOJI -DEXPORT_JS_API  -DJS_USE_SAFE_ARENA   -I../../dist/include/js -I../../dist/include -I/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.0-r3/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr      -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include   -fPIC -I/usr/X11R6/include  -W -Wno-unused -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -Wno-return-type -w -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -Wno-deprecated -O3  -I/usr/X11R6/include -include ../../config-defs.h -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -Wp,-MD,.deps/jsemit.pp jsemit.c
cc1: warning: ignoring command line option '-Wno-deprecated'
cc1: warning: (it is valid for C++ but not the selected language)
jsemit.c: In function `js_EmitTree':
jsemit.c:3867: internal error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[3]: *** [jsemit.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.0-r3/work/mozilla/js/src'
make[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.0-r3/work/mozilla/js'
make[1]: *** [tier_1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.0-r3/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 118, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

KDE
Code:
In file included from kjs_debugwin.cpp:21,
                 from kjs_html_la.all_cpp.cpp:13:
kjs_debugwin.h:27:2: warning: #warning TODO port the debugger
kjs_html.cpp: In member function `void
   KJS::HTMLElement::putValue(KJS::ExecState*, int, const KJS::Value&, int)':
kjs_html.cpp:2623: internal error: Segmentation fault
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[3]: *** [kjs_html_la.all_cpp.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.0.3-r1/work/kdelibs-3.0.3/khtml/ecma'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.0.3-r1/work/kdelibs-3.0.3/khtml'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.0.3-r1/work/kdelibs-3.0.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line -6658, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

I'm using plain, boring default CFLAGS:
Code:
CHOST='i686-pc-linux-gnu'
CFLAGS='-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe'
CXXFLAGS='-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe'

I've tried reducing -O3 to -O2, but that doesn't help. I've wiped the drive and started over a few times, starting from both stage 1 as well as stage 3 -- no luck.

Additionally, I've run memtest86 on the box as well -- the memory checks out clean. I don't think its a hardware problem since everything else I've thrown at the box so far (XFree, kernel, fluxbox) compiles fine. It's only KDE and Mozilla that fail. Additionally, this box was running 1.2 with gcc 2.95 and KDE 3.0.3 just fine a few days ago.

I'm starting to suspect that I'm either a) missing an obscure kernel option directly related to the VIA KT333 chipset (I have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y) or b) running across a bug with gcc 3.2 and the athlon XP optimizations.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone running an Athlon XP/KT333 combination successfully on 1.4?

--kurt
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this probably isnt much help but..
Ive got a a7v333 (KT333) w/ amd 2000+ w/ gcc3.2. I installed w/ gentoo 1.4beta? i forget. I didnt have any problems with it. Im not sure what kernel the 1.4c1 uses, but my box didnt like the gentoo patched kernel, It seems more stable with 2.4.19 vanilla.
Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

cya,
sa
Schmolch
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same chipset here (kt333) on a epox-board (8k3a), xp1800, fresh gentoo1.4rc1, same compiler flags, no problems - sorry.

Didnt compile kde yet but mozilla 1.0 and 1.1 compiled without any errors.
Not using any special kernel-options, just the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y

no idea, sorry, good luck :=)
djresonance
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: same problem here :( Reply with quote

I get almost the same error when trying to compile mozilla. See my post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=16324. I was told that perhaps it was bad memory. I guess it is possible but I'm able to compile mozilla from source fine under debian. Let me know if you figure it out, maybe I can get it working too....

Brandon
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: same problem here :( Reply with quote

djresonance wrote:
I was told that perhaps it was bad memory.

Often times those problems do indicate a hardware problem, such as bad memory. In my case, I eliminated bad RAM as the culprit by running memtest86 overnight, which gave my RAM a clean bill of health. Might be worth giving it a shot on your machine, just for peace of mind.

I'm really starting to blame the combination of GCC 3.2 and the KT333 chipset, though I have no hard evidence to prove that. I downloaded Mandrake 9.0 and am going to see if I can get that to work, just as a test.

--kurt
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: same problem here :( Reply with quote

I would consider trying to disable DMA in the kernel and disks.

klieber wrote:
djresonance wrote:
I was told that perhaps it was bad memory.

Often times those problems do indicate a hardware problem, such as bad memory. In my case, I eliminated bad RAM as the culprit by running memtest86 overnight, which gave my RAM a clean bill of health. Might be worth giving it a shot on your machine, just for peace of mind.

I'm really starting to blame the combination of GCC 3.2 and the KT333 chipset, though I have no hard evidence to prove that. I downloaded Mandrake 9.0 and am going to see if I can get that to work, just as a test.

--kurt
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may be overclocking the Athlon. If so, then don't, at least not while compiling large projects.

Otherwise, clock it down anyway. I found that my Althon 2000/KT333 needed to be clocked a few cycles *lower* than spec to be stable. (It's still a kick'n fast system, and I don't notice the difference.)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzbal wrote:
It sounds like you may be overclocking the Athlon. If so, then don't, at least not while compiling large projects.

Nope -- everything about this system is stock, stock, stock. :)

elzbal wrote:
Otherwise, clock it down anyway. I found that my Althon 2000/KT333 needed to be clocked a few cycles *lower* than spec to be stable.

I may give this a try since nothing else has worked, but the thing I struggle with is the fact that 1.2 (and GCC 2.9x) compiles just fine on this box, so that tells me it's more likely to be a software problem than a hardware one.

--kurt
Schmolch
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just a shot into the pretty dark but...

when i switched from my athlon 900 (which was watercooled) to my actual xp 1800 (and therefore lost the watercooling-compatibility and had to aircool again) i noticed that this cpu gets really hot and is in fact pretty soon getting into trouble when reaching 60 degree celsius (seg faults 11 and so forth). When i first installed a gcc 3x it looked like that now it got hot even faster. I cant boot if im at >= 58 degree celsius and when i reach 60 degree celsius while the system is compiling (i set the bios-temp-alarm to 60 degree celsius so i hear it) it will for sure just abort with segfault11.
Maybe a longtime compilation with gcc3x is the last straw thats breaks the camels back and your cpu just gets too hot.

I installed kde in the meantime on my kt333/xp1800 and still hadnt any problems.

Maybe you can somehow improve your cpu cooling with a big fan or samething just to try if that helps.

Good luck
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem, cept with a Nforce2 motherboard. I can compile mozilla from source if I download it from the mozilla site...I've been able to compile every mozilla build but not 1.2.1-r5.

Here is the error:

Code:

g++ -o stopwatch.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.4\" -DOSARCH=\"L
inux\" -DOJI  -I../../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../../d
ist/include/util -I../../../dist/include -I/var/tmp/port
age/mozilla-1.2.1-r5/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr
 -I/usr/X11R6/include   -fPIC  -I/usr/X11R6/include -frt
ti -fno-exceptions  -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-
align -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privac
y -Wno-long-long -march=athlon-xp -pipe -Wno-deprecated
-fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -ffunct
ion-sections -O1  -I/usr/X11R6/include -DMOZILLA_CLIENT
-include ../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/stopwat
ch.pp stopwatch.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/unistd.h:500,
                 from stopwatch.cpp:5:
/usr/include/bits/confname.h:463: internal error: Segmen                                       tation fault
See <URL:http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
make[3]: *** [stopwatch.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.2                                       .1-r5/work/mozilla/modules/libutil/src'
make[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.2                                       .1-r5/work/mozilla/modules/libutil'
make[1]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.2                                       .1-r5/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-www/mozilla-1.2.1-r5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 483, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the EXACT same error as you guys. This is NOT hardware, it's happening to WAY too many people. People, start looking for another reason other than blaming it on hardware, please, so that we may find a REAL solution.
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be some sw related issue involving athlon systems. What you might to try is a 'ebuild <mozilla ebuild file> compile' and then when it fails, go to the place where it failed and try to restart it -- if it succeeds then it's probably not a compiler bug.

If that happens (my bet) I'd try out one of the commercial kernels like RH or SuSE. I've noticed they tend to have minor things that get lost in there and aren't integrated into other trees for awhile.

(Oh yeah, and running memtest shouldn't take all night! I hope you didn't actually try building memtest86 from source, it rarely works and will take forever to run! It took less than 15minutes to scan my my machine with 1GB of memory. Use the image that the author provides for a floppy.)
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see those errors when my -j flag is to high in MAKEOPTS in make.conf.
They also frequently occur when using distcc, probably for the same reason.
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgo wrote:
I see those errors when my -j flag is to high in MAKEOPTS in make.conf.
They also frequently occur when using distcc, probably for the same reason.

If it can cause the compiler to ICE there's definately a problem somewhere though, though maybe not triggered until under more 'pressure'.
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is not an athlon specific problem. I'm running a P4-1.4, all stock settings. It's runs very cool and this is NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

EDIT: my makeopts are -j2.. that isn't unreasonable..
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuber wrote:
No, this is not an athlon specific problem. I'm running a P4-1.4, all stock settings. It's runs very cool and this is NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

If you are so sure, do you think it would require TELLING EVERYONE IN ALL CAPS?

What problem specifically have you run into?
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadeh wrote:
Yuber wrote:

If you are so sure, do you think it would require TELLING EVERYONE IN ALL CAPS?

What problem specifically have you run into?

Sorry for the caps but I've been working on this since 12am. With the ebuild, I get the tier_9 error in the toolkit dir that many other people get. Alternatively, I tried the CVS and get a totally different error, which is this:
Code:

gcc -o jsdtoa.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.4\" -DOSARCH=\"Linux\" -DOJI -DEXPORT_JS_API  -DJS_USE_SAFE_ARENA   -I../../dist/include/js -I../../dist/include -I/root/phoenix-source/mozilla/dist/include/nspr      -I.    -fPIC  -Wall -W -Wno-unused -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -pedantic -Wno-long-long -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O3 -march=pentium4   -include ../../mozilla-config.h -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -Wp,-MD,.deps/jsdtoa.pp jsdtoa.c

o hay look everything was goin smooth up until this:

jsdtoa.c: In function `JS_strtod':
jsdtoa.c:1239: warning: `rv0' might be used uninitialized in this function
jsdtoa.c:1874: unable to find a register to spill in class `AREG'
jsdtoa.c:1874: this is the insn:
(insn:QI 2331 2330 2332 (set (reg:CCNO 17 flags)
        (compare:CCNO (and:SI (subreg:SI (reg/v:DI 21 rxmm0 [344]) 0)
                (const_int 1 [0x1]))
            (const_int 0 [0x0]))) 281 {testsi_1} (insn_list 2327 (nil))
    (expr_list:REG_DEAD (reg/v:DI 21 rxmm0 [344])
        (nil)))
jsdtoa.c:1874: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
gmake[4]: *** [jsdtoa.o] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/root/phoenix-source/mozilla/js/src'
gmake[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/root/phoenix-source/mozilla/js'
gmake[2]: *** [tier_2] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/root/phoenix-source/mozilla'
gmake[1]: *** [default] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/root/phoenix-source/mozilla'
gmake: *** [build] Error 2

Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry for the caps but I've been working on this since 12am. With the ebuild, I get the tier_9 error in the toolkit dir that many other people get. Alternatively, I tried the CVS and get a totally different error, which is this:

Ok, shoot. I don't have a cvs tree handy, I don't suppose you know of the error that comes from one of the available ebuilds like 1.2.1-r5 off hand? Am trying to see if I can reproduce the problem. It would suck if the CVS tree changed and the bug dissappeared before we could find it. :) Also, whats your gcc -v say?

The error you just showed is a dump of RTL that gcc uses internally. If its a compiler bug and we can find a testcase then we can submit it to the gcc folks.
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadeh wrote:
Quote:

Ok, shoot. I don't have a cvs tree handy, I don't suppose you know of the error that comes from one of the available ebuilds like 1.2.1-r5 off hand? Am trying to see if I can reproduce the problem. It would suck if the CVS tree changed and the bug dissappeared before we could find it. :) Also, whats your gcc -v say?

The error you just showed is a dump of RTL that gcc uses internally. If its a compiler bug and we can find a testcase then we can submit it to the gcc folks.

gcc -v reports:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/specs
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r7/work/gcc-3.2.1/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.2 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/info --enable-shared --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc --enable-threads=posix --enable-long-long --disable-checking --enable-cstdio=stdio --enable-clocale=generic --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/include/g++-v3 --with-local-prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared --enable-nls --without-included-gettext
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.1 20021207 (Gentoo Linux 3.2.1-20021207)

As for the ebuild error, I'll look for and paste someone else's, because most of the one's ive seen are identical to mine.
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you could tell me how to get the same phoenix tree that would work too. What are your CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS?
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc-3.2.1-r7 might also be a possible cause. -r6 is the latest marked stable.
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadeh wrote:
gcc-3.2.1-r7 might also be a possible cause. -r6 is the latest marked stable.

The same phoenix tree? I was just using a mozilla nightly tarball. Also, R7 may be the problem... but I doubt it.... I don't know maybe it's just a hunch. Also I can't find that error, but, in the Phoenix-CVS thread some guy with a username that's very hard to remember that has the Agent from the Matrix as his avatar had my same error, and uses my same processor. Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm using opera right now and I'm not at all used to it, I've also got class in 30 mins. I hope by the time I get home something will have been found out.. and also I am using keywords ~x86 for unstable. Most other people do this without a hitch, though.

EDIT: CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe"

sorry, forgot, so tired.
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well I have class soon too actually but maybe I'll find something. Where did you get the moz tarball? I could give it a whirl here.
Yuber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadeh wrote:
Okay, well I have class soon too actually but maybe I'll find something. Where did you get the moz tarball? I could give it a whirl here.

wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/mozilla-source.tar.bz2
-JeaN-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it crash as well when you compile using -mcpu instead of -march in the CFLAGS ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: