slow throughput coming *in* but not out of a server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sightlessone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: slow throughput coming *in* but not out of a server Reply with quote

I have a server at a new colo (we just moved there), and we're getting this issue with our throughput. I'm able to use the full 100Mbit connection coming out of the server, but incoming data I'm lucky to pull speeds of ~100-150K/s.

I've already verified that the bottleneck isn't caused by the harddrives (which i doubted), and have had our provider set the switch to 100Tx/full duplex, which the card is set to.

The card is an intel ethpro100, which i hear has had problems with sleep mode, but i was able to disable this (which also fixed nothing).

I cannot for the life of me think of any other problems that might cause something like this, and our provider seems to think their setup is correct (which i'm vaugely doubting, but who knows). Does anyone have any suggestions? anything?
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of security software is installed? If the packets coming in are inspected by a program or are being blocked, that could slow down incoming connections. Are any incoming packets being dropped? Try to find out.
sightlessone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing. i had iptables running, but stopped that to see if that was a problem, which it's not.
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you able to determine if there are any dropped packets? What sort of hardware is sitting in between you and this server?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not doing any traffic shaping are you?
sightlessone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no traffic shaping either. plus wouldn't that only affect packets sent? whereas in my case it's incoming data that's bogged down. if you were asking about the location from where i'm testing, i'm not doing traffic shaping either, and i've tested it at quite a few external locations, all with the same problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: