View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamless integration for me. Did not need to change any configs, or recompile anything. Only ran prelink again.
gleno
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like wise for me. I made the change from xfree to Xorg yesterday and I only made one change/addition (cp XF86Conf xorg.conf).

These are the steps I took;

1. binary backup of xfree (suggested in one of the posts)

Backed up old XF86Conf(-4) files and copied XF86Conf to xorg.conf

2. closed X down

3. Installed Xorg and created binary packages.

4. Fired xdm (entrance)

The results are obviously better for m setup. Particularly the more defined anti-aliased look at 1600x1200. And it appears to be slightly more responsive.

my 2 cents :)
Dani Tsevech
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg worked just nice for me :wink: I haven't noticed significant changes from XFree, so I'm quite satisfied :)
Kavika
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Another success story Reply with quote

I performed the switch on my IBM Thinkpad R32. It was _nearly_ seamless.

I had to drop to terminal, emerge -C xfree, then emerge xorg-x11. I also had to redo my fonts, but I think they weren't quite set up correctly to begin with. I followed the info in this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=187389&highlight=firefox and now everything works great, or at least like it did before the switch. I also now have subpixel rendering enabled, which was a nice bonus of reading that tutorial.

Startup time between launching of XDM and getting into a desktop on fluxbox seem to have decreased, but this may be the placebo effect =)

I'm a newb, I'm crunchy, and good with catsup!
i_hate_your_os
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XB-70 wrote:

Code:
mkdir -p /etc/portage
echo "xorg-x11  ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

That's a generally better way to use unstable packages than using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line...

sweet. forgot about this trick, that's /exactly/ what I've been needing for some time... Now I can stop doing emerge -Uu!! Thanks guys.

"All laws which are repugnant to the constitution are null and void."
-Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803)
wintersommer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Xserver extensions Reply with quote

i read a long time ago (3 months) Keith Packard's xserver should be merged with Xorg as extension ?. I compiled hos Xserver some time ago, and used the VESA Xserver. He wanted to make it work with the nvidia drivers and other hardware accelerated drivers.

So my Question : on the xorg mailinglist there ist nothing about it, the old xserver mailing list is closed. so how do i try out the lasted cvs source. is the extension in xorg cvs ? disabled perhaps ?

anywhere any discussion about this ?
spudicus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially had problems with the dlloader not loading libbitmap. However this was due to having hardened and pie in my use flags.

Others got around this by recompiling gcc without hardened/pie, compiling xorg then recompiling gcc with hardened/pie.
However, I was able to achieve a successful install with hardened/pie USE flags by following Solar's advice i.e. USE="static".
CompNerd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Xserver extensions Reply with quote

wintersommer wrote:
i read a long time ago (3 months) Keith Packard's xserver should be merged with Xorg as extension

I have heard that rumor as well. However, all the website sources seem to indicate that this is just a rumor, and that there is no intention of the two projects to merge.

Additionally, if you would like to try out FDO's XServer (the one by Keith P. based on KDrive), you can download that from cvs from Freedesktop.org http://xserver.freedesktop.org/. If you just want to try it out, there is an ebuild available for it from Spyderous. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=106391&highlight=fdo+xserver

CompNerd
arand
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: My expericnes Reply with quote

Just my experiences quick.

I first did an emerge -C xfree. No problems. Insatalled xorg-x11 and no compile problems, did other missalanious things like restart xfs and stuff like that.

However after doing and opengl-update to xorg-x11 I could not startx.

Looking around I saw someone suggest that I switch opengl-update back to xfree and I did and startx worked again.

Today while messing around with my system I did an emerge -p depclean and in the output was xfree, I said I don't need that anymore.

Well as I watch the text scrolling up the screen it turns out that it was removing a bunch of binaries like xterm. At this I said ah crap and tried to open some stuff up in x and started getting massive errors.

I dropped out of x and tried to restart x and it said startx was not found. So I just recompiled xorg and that did the trick, along with doing opengl-update xorg-x11

The moral of the story look very closely at the output of emerge -C xfree or at least to emerge -C xfree and make sure it removes all versions.

Otherwise it has been working without any problems here.

Last edited by arand on Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Hauser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely painless, after emerge, just cp XF86Config xorg.conf, it can't be easier! :)

Do I like to compile everything?
Positive definite!
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here, too. But celestia now segfaults when loading. It worked on Xfree. Anybody has this problem too?
comio
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fideli wrote:
anyone else getting this error? i'm trying to install r1 but i keep getting this error:

Code:

make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1/work/xc/lib/dps'
checking ../../config/pswrap/pswrap over in ../../config/pswrap first...
make[4]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1/work/xc/config/pswrap'
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w     -I../.. -I../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L                  -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                          -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE                              -D_GNU_SOURCE                            -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -DXENVIRONMENT  -DXVENDORNAME='"The X.Org Foundation"' -DXVENDORNAMESHORT='"X.Org"'   -c -o main.o main.c
bison -y -d pswparser.y
conflicts: 1 shift/reduce
mv -f y.tab.c pswparser.c
+ mv -f y.tab.h pswparser.h
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w     -I../.. -I../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L                  -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                          -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE                              -D_GNU_SOURCE                            -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -DXENVIRONMENT  -DXVENDORNAME='"The X.Org Foundation"' -DXVENDORNAMESHORT='"X.Org"'   -c -o pswparser.o pswparser.c
flex -l  -t lexer.l > lexer.c
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w     -I../.. -I../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L                  -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                          -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE                              -D_GNU_SOURCE                            -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -DXENVIRONMENT  -DXVENDORNAME='"The X.Org Foundation"' -DXVENDORNAMESHORT='"X.Org"'   -c -o lexer.o lexer.c

... snip ...

it happens 10 minutes into the install. i removed cflags and still the same error.

I had same problem. I resolve it with re-emerging flex package.

Ciao!

e

http://www.comio.it
:)
dumbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I read a long time ago (3 months) Keith Packard's xserver should be merged with Xorg as extension."

Keith Packard's xserver seems to be a 'testbed' for new ideas, and seems to be very successful. It seems that some parts of xorg have/are being ported to xorg for the next (beta?) release in August/September.

http://www.mylinuxnews.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/10/0433219&mode=thread

http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-July/001443.html

:arrow:
http://freedesktop.org/Software/XDamage
http://freedesktop.org/Software/FixesExt
http://freedesktop.org/Software/CompositeExt

:D
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hauser wrote:
Completely painless, after emerge, just cp XF86Config xorg.conf, it can't be easier! :)

It's easier. :-)
Then you etc-update after the install XF86Config is copied as a xorg.conf.

In other words (the song is just now playing on the radio) just "emerge -C xfree" "emerge xorg-x11" "etc-update".
wintersommer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Composite extension Reply with quote

Si iwanted to try the composite extension of the xorg tree - i already tried it with the xserver tree.

i think i need an gentoo xorg cvs ebuild , is it somewhere ?

if anyone has done this already , can you point me somewhere in the tree where the composite extension is located ?
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transisition was painless, but etc-update presents me w/ 257 files that need to be updated. :(
lorian69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:
The transisition was painless, but etc-update presents me w/ 257 files that need to be updated. :(

I found that most of those are keyboard mappings (or something of that nature.) You can probably scan through and take care of the couple files that may need your attention, then auto-merge all the language files.

On a different note... when I converted to Xorg, I thought at first that my fonts were completely hosed. Turned out it was only my Luxi fonts... absolutely every other font looks great and anti-aliased. My confusion was a result of using Luxi fonts on my desktop and Window titles. I've changed those fonts to alternatives, and everything looks great now, but I was a bit curious if anyone else had experienced this problem?
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I auto-merge with -3 or -5?
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:

-3 And keep an eye on witch files who are changed in case some trubble occurs.
(My user permissions to my tv/radio-card disappered. But now I have fixed it. ;-))
Conclusion: always keep a fresh backup of /etc so you can compere the files.
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusBerg wrote:
pandaxiongmao wrote:

-3 And keep an eye on witch files who are changed in case some trubble occurs.
(My user permissions to my tv/radio-card disappered. But now I have fixed it. ;-))
Conclusion: always keep a fresh backup of /etc so you can compere the files.

Good advice. I just created a tar backup of /etc folder in case something goes wrong. Thanks.
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:
Good advice. I just created a tar backup of /etc folder in case something goes wrong. Thanks.

I give you one more! :-) I don't now about other filemanagers in this topic but: I use MC (Midnight Commander) to go into copressed archives and read files. Therefore it's no need to decompress backupfiles to read and use the contents.
DooMi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gleno wrote:
These are the steps I took;
1. binary backup of xfree (suggested in one of the posts)
Backed up old XF86Conf(-4) files and copied XF86Conf to xorg.conf
2. closed X down
3. Installed Xorg and created binary packages.
4. Fired xdm (entrance)

i followed your steps step by step and it works almost perfect. just in case that i found out i had to copy XF86Config-4 and not XF86Config to xorg.conf to get my nice gl support back.

with xfree (r6) i had strange lagging while fast switching between desktop 1 and 2. (you shortly saw that xfree draw the desktop new in black from top to bottom) with xorg this is now history and the whole system reacts MUCH nicer now.

really amazing.

peace

edit: there is just one problem left, maybe anyone can help? -> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1342730
Jonasx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems with random lockups with gkrellm2 and xorg. Anyone else?
macawgumbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any special configuration file for Xorg? I just installed Gentoo (not the first time) and was going to try Xorg this time so XFree has never been installed. Could somebody give me a rundown of configuring Xorg? And with this font thing I have read about does that only apply to if XFree has already been on your system or do it also apply if Xorg is the only thing you have ever had since it was installed?
Ob3ron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to be able to compile xorg-x11-6.7.0-r2, does anybody else have problems with that? I get an endless amount of 'Fontspace' errors after which the emerge aborts. I guess the problem lies in the ebuild since r1 compiled just fine :/

[EDIT] Fixed by emerging openmotif first [/EDIT]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: