How to make a package protected?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corporate_gadfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: How to make a package protected? Reply with quote

Here's my situation. When I execute, the following command:
Code:
diem sys-kernel # emerge -cp

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
    selected: 2.4.19-r7
   protected: 2.4.19-r5 2.4.19-r9
     omitted: none

>>> Packages in red are slated for removal.
>>> Packages in green will not be removed.

I wish to keep 2.4.19-r7. I could care less about 2.4.19-r5. So, the question is, "How do I make 2.4.19-r7 protected so that my protected list now reads 2.4.19-r7 2.4.19-r9?"

emerge version is 2.0.37

Thanks in advance.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a package protected? Reply with quote

corporate_gadfly wrote:
Here's my situation. When I execute, the following command:
Code:
diem sys-kernel # emerge -cp

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
    selected: 2.4.19-r7
   protected: 2.4.19-r5 2.4.19-r9
     omitted: none

>>> Packages in red are slated for removal.
>>> Packages in green will not be removed.

I wish to keep 2.4.19-r7. I could care less about 2.4.19-r5. So, the question is, "How do I make 2.4.19-r7 protected so that my protected list now reads 2.4.19-r7 2.4.19-r9?"

emerge version is 2.0.37

Thanks in advance.

What Portage is trying to tell you, is this:

"You have 3 versions of a package, r5,7,9. Something is depending on r5, so i need to keep that (protected), and r9 is the newest package so i'll keep that too(protected). Since by starting me you told me to clean out unnescary packages (emerge -c) , i'll kill r7 (slated) because it doesnt have much use."

You could try manually removing packages instead of using portages logic. In any case, you should just be able to copy your config file from the r7 dir to the r9 dir in /usr/src, change the symlink and let portage nuke r7 (Remeber that an r? appended to a package means a change in the ebuild, not the package).

Sorry i couldn't answer your question directly but i hope i've helped.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a package protected? Reply with quote

Quote:
(Remeber that an r? appended to a package means a change in the ebuild, not the package).

But r9 actually changes the package in this case, right? Wasn't it the r9 where we actually get to have a real 2.4.19 kernel, instead of the patched 2.4.18 ? Or am I confused?

Last edited by iKiddo on Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
corporate_gadfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a package protected? Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
What Portage is trying to tell you, is this:

"You have 3 versions of a package, r5,7,9. Something is depending on r5, so i need to keep that (protected), and r9 is the newest package so i'll keep that too(protected). Since by starting me you told me to clean out unnescary packages (emerge -c) , i'll kill r7 (slated) because it doesnt have much use."

You could try manually removing packages instead of using portages logic. In any case, you should just be able to copy your config file from the r7 dir to the r9 dir in /usr/src, change the symlink and let portage nuke r7 (Remeber that an r? appended to a package means a change in the ebuild, not the package).

Sorry i couldn't answer your question directly but i hope i've helped.

Hi and thanks for your reply. Except that I don't want to go to -r9 yet. I am running xfs and the xfs sources are not present in -r9, so I have to stay at -r7. "emerge -cp" is an easy way of cleaning up after package updates. If I have to manually keep removing duplicate packages then the convenience factor goes out the door.

So for now, unless someone has an easy solution to make -r7 protected (in my case), I will copy and/or rename my -r7 directory and move the /usr/src/linux symlink to it and let emerge nuke what it thinks of -r7.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a package protected? Reply with quote

You can pin a version of a package using the world file (/var/cache/edb/world), with something like this:
Code:

emerge -C gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r9
echo "=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r7" >> /var/cache/edb/world

This will prevent an "emerge -pu world" updating the gentoo-sources package.
NB. To be clean, you actually need to edit /var/cache/edb/world and change the line that says "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" to "=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r7", but the echo above will also work since it is added to the bottom of the world file.
corporate_gadfly wrote:
Hi and thanks for your reply. Except that I don't want to go to -r9 yet. I am running xfs and the xfs sources are not present in -r9, so I have to stay at -r7. "emerge -cp" is an easy way of cleaning up after package updates. If I have to manually keep removing duplicate packages then the convenience factor goes out the door.

So for now, unless someone has an easy solution to make -r7 protected (in my case), I will copy and/or rename my -r7 directory and move the /usr/src/linux symlink to it and let emerge nuke what it thinks of -r7.
marty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml)

Note: A world update also performs a system update automatically. Core packages cannot be pinned using the world file method as the current Portage profile will always override it.

So; how can I manually pin "core" packages if not by the world file method?

Also; where does this Portage system package profile exist?

If someone could point me to the developer documentation for the portage system, that might be of some use.

Thanks in advance...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: