View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Irritating new habit Reply with quote

I live in Belgium (yeah, I know, I'm sorry ;) ) and it seems that lately some geezers have picked up the habit of constantly driving with their fog-lights on (I don't know if it's called fog-lights, but it are the extra headlights that are only allowed to be used when the sight is less than 50 meters). I suppose they think it looks cool or something but it's so freggin' irritating!!!!!!! Do people in your countries have that habit too or am I just the only one who cares? ;)
PS: I'm only 20 myself so it's not that I'm an old tosser who has nothing else to do than complaining all the time.
Darragon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the same here in Finland. Very annoying.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are alot of people in the U.S. that do this. I personally think they should have their car impounded for 6 months, and lose their driver's license for at least 30 days.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is: there is only one police officer in belgium that stops cars for that matter :/ (ok, maybe 2 :D)
sisyphus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a similar problem in the UK. Whoever invented Halogen headlamps wants shooting. On a motorway late at night, it gets really bloody annoying. Really though, what's the point? Is it really necessary to be visible from the moon in order to drive at night? Maybe they should just get their eyes tested instead :-).

It doesn't help that the police got them first so you always think you're gonna get pulled for speeding when you see them coming up behind you :-).

They are called fog lamps by the way. Over here, there is a high intensity lamp on the rear of cars as well - it's red but just as bloody annoying.
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just talked to a police officer I know and he is as pissed off as I am :)
the next ticket he's gonna write 'll be with my honour :D
he's gonna text me when he does it :)
I LOVE THIS!!!
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, we have the intense red lights at the rear end too.
Those halogen-lights really suck, I sometimes get temporary blindness when I'm crossed by e.g. a new mercedes on a small road with no lights.
btw: LOL:
Quote:
Is it really necessary to be visible from the moon in order to drive at night?
Syonyk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. I'm in the US, I personally drive with my lights on all the time. It helps visibility. Oftentimes significantly. My car blends in to the background at times.

My main job is driving a bus for a transit company out here. All the busses are wired so their lights are on when the engine is running. Again, visibility.

Now, as for the high intensity lights, I can't stand them. I'm just glad I live in a college town, where not many people can afford the cars that have them.

-=Russ=-
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syonyk wrote:
Depends. I'm in the US, I personally drive with my lights on all the time. It helps visibility. Oftentimes significantly. My car blends in to the background at times.

I disagree. I don't think it helps visibility much at all, and it sure is ugly. Furthermore, you are hurting motorcyclists by doing this. Motorcyclists must have their light(s) on by law in order to be more visibile and "stick out". If enough people have their lights on then it's pointless.

http://www.lightsout.org

Carl
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlivar wrote:
Syonyk wrote:

I disagree. I don't think it helps visibility much at all, and it sure is ugly. Furthermore, you are hurting motorcyclists by doing this. Motorcyclists must have their light(s) on by law in order to be more visibile and "stick out". If enough people have their lights on then it's pointless.

http://www.lightsout.org

Carl

Actually, daytime running lights are required by law in some places. Now, we're not talking about the halogen fog lights from hell. In fact, there are some new cars where you can't turn the daytime running lights off! (My friend has a Saab that is like this, and he actually got into an argument with someone who got out of their car when he was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and complained about him having them on when he couldn't turn them off).

EDIT: I read your link and I think some of their reasoning is kinda dubious. Why do the insurance companies support DRLs if they are not effective? The insurance companies have a lot to gain if accidents are reduced.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get this, in Denmark we are require by LAW to drive around with our headlights on....... The explaination for this seems to be that we are to dumb to tell moving cars from parked cars..

Now one would think that this was one of those dumb old laws that were just never removed, but no, it's a relatively new law, no more than 10 years old..

Now that's DUMB !
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal headlights aren't really annoying (except for those halogen ones) and they might increase safety, but fog lights and halogen lights: YUK!!!
bpkri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw: Xenon lights are also not THAT cool. They might seem a bit brighter, but their spectrum is shifted into the direction of blue. And blue is very good to blind the human eye for a moment. >.<
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on the matter: I think that these lights may be a good idea assuming that they aren't blindingly bright. The times when they'd be helpful would be around dusk or in the rain, where there are always some people who don't turn on their headlights even when lighting is poor. I think they could definitely increase safety in situations like that where the light is borderline by ensuring that everyone has their lights on. It's kinda pointless though in the middle of the day, IMHO, though as I said earlier some people have no choice due to the way their car is designed. A better solution is probably to have light sensors that automatically activate headlights when they are needed, with a fairly liberal interpretation of that. But, like I said, I don't think this really causes much harm except when the lights are overly bright.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wierd ... in slovenia there's a law that strictly says (-couldn't remember the right noun) that you have to drive with your headlights on even during the day ...shortlights to be exact, and happily they are not that anoying as longlights :)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind people driving with their lights on. In fact, I wish more people would. We have a problem with people not using their lights when they need to. Georgia state law says "Lights on when raining". I get really annoyed at the people that don't do this. There are some people that don't even follow "Lights on when dark". Sometimes I wish I were a cop. I'd pull over every one of them.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my vacations in California (yes, I had vacations), we rented a car. I had never drived in the USA before. I just could not believe in how many people used their lights on the high setting -- which you should use when there was nobody in front of you. Maybe they are amused by the blue light at their painels, but it was just terrible. Maybe they are just too stupid.

kanuslupus wrote:
Yes, there are alot of people in the U.S. that do this. I personally think they should have their car impounded for 6 months, and lose their driver's license for at least 30 days.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Maybe they are just too stupid.
Unfortunately, they probably aren't stupid. More likely arrogant, inconsiderate and generally not deserving of oxygen.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, daytime running lights are required by law in some places.

Notice that almost all the locations that require daytime running lights (Canada, Scandinavia) have a pretty high northern latitude. I'm no expert on this, but I've heard this is because northern latitudes have less ambient light in general. Therefore it makes a little more sense to require DRLs. In the U.S. or similar I don't think it makes any sense, unless you're a headlight manufacturer.
Quote:
In fact, there are some new cars where you can't turn the daytime running lights off! (My friend has a Saab that is like this, and he actually got into an argument with someone who got out of their car when he was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and complained about him having them on when he couldn't turn them off).

No, you almost always can turn them off one way or another - it just may not be very convenient. I have a 2002 VW Jetta and I turned mine off. I had to modify the wiring slightly on my headlight switch (found the instructions on the internet) but it was pretty easy and works perfectly.
Quote:
I read your link and I think some of their reasoning is kinda dubious. Why do the insurance companies support DRLs if they are not effective? The insurance companies have a lot to gain if accidents are reduced.

Think about it. Do insurance companies have anything to lose? Even if DRLs are totally ineffective, they have nothing to lose by supporting them.

Hey, my .sig is actually relevant!

Carl
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the people that have blinding lights should be shot. Especially the "cool" blue ones that are painful.

My favorite part of the Oregon Drivers test:
At nighttime, to avoid being blinded by oncoming traffic you should:
1) Wear sunglasses
2) Close your eyes
3) Put your main focus on the side of the road and use peripheral vision.

---
Daytime running lights are not a bad idea. Highbeams and extra bright lights are pretty damn useless in urban enviroments. I think I turn mine on maybe once a month and only if I'm on a country road out in the middle of nowhere.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemming wrote:
Daytime running lights are not a bad idea. Highbeams and extra bright lights are pretty damn useless in urban enviroments. I think I turn mine on maybe once a month and only if I'm on a country road out in the middle of nowhere.

I get annoyed when the person behind me has their brights on. I've been trying to think of ways to signal them without giving them the one finger salute.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right choice is wear sunglasses and close your eyes 8)

lemming wrote:
Yeah, the people that have blinding lights should be shot. Especially the "cool" blue ones that are painful.

My favorite part of the Oregon Drivers test:
At nighttime, to avoid being blinded by oncoming traffic you should:
1) Wear sunglasses
2) Close your eyes
3) Put your main focus on the side of the road and use peripheral vision.

---
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems this is a world-wide malice... Lights on when visibility is not optimal is a Good Thing (TM) but fog lamps are for FOG for christ's sake! Both in Greece and Italy this is a common and extremely annoying habit. Those inconsiderate peop lse are so stupid that they don't realise it's against their own safety: if they come across me blinding me and I lose control I might just as well drift over to their line and get us both killed! Pfff... morons!
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I live in Holland / The Netherlands, and people driving with their front fog-lights on happens a long time, although it is forbidden by law when there isn't any fog. A lot of people probably think there car looks cooler / more agressive. My father likes the to have the lights on cause he sees the borders of the road better (not on main roads). I personaly don't have that much problems with good adjusted fog lights, the beam should be low to the ground and far to the sides and shouldn't shine into your eyes, well that's in theory, a lot of lights (also non fog-lights) aren't well adjusted and shine to high, just like riding with your ?high?-beams on.

Thanks to the movie Fast & Furrious it's now hot to decorate your car like a crismas tree (neon lights under car etc.) This is also forbidden by law cause a vehicle needs proper white lights at front and red lights at back, it's so simple, ;-)

Btw. Driving with lights on during daylight is encouraged not mandatory here (except when sun is very low at horizon) cause your visibility increases.

Cya lX.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
Thanks to the movie Fast & Furrious it's now hot to decorate your car like a crismas tree (neon lights under car etc.)
Unfortunately, this has been done in the US since before that movie was even a script idea (the movie was based on the sub-culture that does that kinda crap).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: