Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Today is the 10th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*yawn*

1. There seems to be a theory that Kurt Cobain could have pulled the trigger with an inordinately large amount of heroin in his body. The problem with this is that even though a tolerance is built up through heroin use, the level at which it becomes toxic remains approximately the same. In other words, it might take wildly varying amounts to get high, but it takes only a certain amount to kill you.
And by the way, his credit cards were used a couple days after his death.

2. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Nirvana, but I'm a bit miffed at all of the people who come on this thread to mock someone. Yeah, there's better stuff out there. There's also worse stuff out there. I'd say the same thing whether this thread was in regards to Korn, Suicide, the Cherubs, or Eagles of Death Metal. The simplicity of music is no reason to disregard it. Ravel's Bolero isn't exactly a masterpiece of contrapuntal complexity. Nor Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King. Beethoven's Ode to Joy is laughable in its simplicity. If you want complexity, listen to Pink Floyd, or Can, or Amon Duul II.

But come on! The only bad taste in music is not liking music. As long as you enjoy it, what's wrong with that?

Tom Waits rules.

</belated thread resurrection>
stinky666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO, how did kurt actually die, what are your stories on how he died, i have heard about 3 different rumours on how he died?
Kihaji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinky666 wrote:
SO, how did kurt actually die, what are your stories on how he died, i have heard about 3 different rumours on how he died?

Shotgun blast to the skull, the rest is inconsequential, as he was a loser junkie.
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's an idiotic thing to say.

That's something along the lines of saying that the manner of JFK's death was inconsequential because he was an adulterer. Or that the manner of Joan of Arc's death was inconsequential because she was a heretic.

Personal habits don't invalidate a person's life and its impact. I'm a bit surprised to see someone who can (apparently) perform the EEG equivalent of fogging a mirror implying something so silly.

Now, judging by the topic of this thread, Kurt Cobain seems to have had a lot of positive influence on people. Perhaps you can't reconcile peoples' respect for this "loser." Sounds like a personal problem.

Denying that the lives of "junkies" can be valid is to deny the vast majority of art, literature, and music for the past several hundred years. Van Gogh? An absintholic. Poe? Opium, alcohol. William S. Burroughs? Heroin. Even Thomas Jefferson and (it is suggested) Shakespeare smoked hash. Winston Churchill and Freud chewed coca leaves.

I don't think it's necessary to use drugs or alcohol. My girlfriend feels the same way you do. And, personally, I'm clean. There's nothing wrong with the belief. Obnoxious evangelism is the sin here.
stinky666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did........have alot of posotive influence on people....he was a great guy, but he was an idiot for doing drugs, he had a whole career in front of him...... i have heard that courtney may have killed him, he killed himself with the shotgun, and (bugger, what else) i know i have heard of another rumour.....but i believe he killed himself:D
Borndead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys i'ma n00b here,anyway i found it amusing that someone said something "kurt left his wife and his son behind" and nobody commented and said it wasn't a son he had a daughter lol.
Well the way i look at it Kurt Cobain had more problems than just fame.
I mean he came from a broken home his parents divorced when he was really young which really effected him emotionally,he was a very shy child who had bi-polar disorder,he didn't want to be a popular kid growing up he often used to "joke" that he was gay so people would leave him alone which lead to him getting his beat up sometimes but he made some gay friends out of it,he also said in an interview the words "I am gay in spirit" and "I'm probably bisexual but I'm with Courtney now",when he got into preforming in bands he was into playing this inspirimental heavy noise stuff that got him booed alot,he developed a heroin addiction which then gave him stomach pains (Pennyroyal Tea song is a good example of that),he got carried away on stage and was once jumped by a bouncer.
Kurt seemed to act really differnt when he was on the Unplugged Live In New York show actually kinda happy mellow type of mood plus he had members of one of his favorite bands preform with Nirvana and they were The Meat Puppets.
And i know alot of you say that Kurt Cobain wasn't a good singer and he mumbled alot, which is true but he actually used to mumble on purpose and when he was live playing lithium, polly ect. he would screw up the lyrics just for the fun of it.
Anyway back to the Unplugged Live In New York show, if you don't think Kurt Cobain was good singer than you must have never heard the cover of Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night".
I said all this junk to stray away from the fact that he "blew his head off" in lamence terms becuz it seems that people care more about the way he died other than the fact that he died coz listen I've watched when Courtney Love was reading the letter (which i read somewhere wasn't even a suicide note it was a note about his retirement) and all the fans shown were crying like babys and then when the news were interviewing citizens of Seattle they were all angary as hell at him and all it tells me is that people don't know how to take it.
And nowadays most of us wouldn't understand as much unless you lived in the 90's generation which I'm sure alot of you here haven't,even i haven't.
Kurt was mediocer i guess you could say,he didn't play difficult songs he played catchy songs, does that mean it has no talent???
In my books the dude is an inspiration not for the fact that he killed himself the fact that he had passion and was actually a good writer not the best,not the worst but a good writer who understood what melodie was and thats what most of his lyrics were made for melodie.
Anyway sorry for making this shit really long I just had alot to say and I still don't think i said everything I possibally could but I'm out R.I.P. Kurt Cobain and I hope you have it alright in your next life.
Borndead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stinky666"]He did........have alot of posotive influence on people....he was a great guy, but he was an idiot for doing drugs, he had a whole career in front of him......

well Kurt Cobain smoked weed with his friends in school when he was younger,his friend who was interview said that anyway,and I myself have smoked weed once and i really don't think its all that bad as what people say it is,heroin is different tho coz its a stronger drug and Kurt Cobain has been exparimenting with drugs alot from what i heard and it was mentioned somewhere that it wasn't clearly identified that it was heroin that was in Cobain's sytem at the time of his death,
plus I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain was going to retire anyway he was getting sick of his career and he couldn't consentrate on having his creative flow back in action (the song "Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip" is a good example of that when you read the lyrics).

Last edited by Borndead on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O

Wow. Bullshit like this necromanced?

Anyway, Nirvana made good songs. Cobain was a doped up rich freak. Rock stars have always been too self-important anyway. I don't know why people think they have had such 'hard lives'.
asiB4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't wait for my Kurt Cobain memorial edition Remngton 870! :D
Registered Linux User #332738

shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good riddance.

now if we could just get rid of that skank of a wife that he had the world would be a better place.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least give her kudos where due: truth in advertising. "Hole" indeed.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Borndead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.. wait a second how did the sainger from Alice and Chains die?
Coz he was in the grunge scene too I'm pretty sure he either over dosed and commited suicide also.
And some of you people may not know but you can commit suicide for other reasons other than being depressed???
I've heard people commiting suicide to make a statement and I've also heard of people commiting suicide if they had cancer and the pain is to much to handle.
Now that being said Kurt Cobain's band mates and others said that he wasn't really acting depressed before he died, funny huh?
So maybe,just maybe Kurt wanted to kill himself over his stomach pains that were caused from the abuse of drugs or he just wanted to go out with a bang just for the sake of rock culture and the fact that other rock stars either killed themselves or over dosed.
Maybe he knew he would be remembered more this way even if it wasn't in a good way.
Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music's main focus was melodie so i see what you guys are saying when you say he wasn't so good but alot of bands that Nirvana covered had alot of melodie in them not all tho, what he was really trying to do was bring a new prespective to the music which is probably why they named theirselves Nirvana instead making a title with anger in it like most bands do.
If you didn't know Nirvana was a much heavier exparimental group before they sold out with the release of Nevermind which was an attempt to make people listen by turning mainstream for the public to notice them more.
And so what if he left his wife and his daughter behind he was rich I'm sure he left them alot of his money and they seem like pretty happy people now when i see em on t.v. so I'm pretty sure it was for the best.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares? He died 12 years ago.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borndead wrote:

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music's main focus was melodie so ....

what in the hell?

no.... their focus was teen angst and being cool via total "uncoolness" its a bit overplayed if you ask me.

not only that but the music wasn't that great in the first place. but thats besides the point, completely mediocre music has its place in entertainment (I listen to lots of music that just isn't great music, objectively[and from the point of view of a musician myself])
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
Who cares? He died 12 years ago.
Damn it, I feel old.
Borndead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
Borndead wrote:

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's music's main focus was melodie so ....

what in the hell?

no.... their focus was teen angst and being cool via total "uncoolness" its a bit overplayed if you ask me.

not only that but the music wasn't that great in the first place. but thats besides the point, completely mediocre music has its place in entertainment (I listen to lots of music that just isn't great music, objectively[and from the point of view of a musician myself])

you didn't even listen to the statment, i said their "music" main focus was melodie not who they were as people, teen angst is what they were all about but it wasn't exactly what their music was focused on
and Dave Grohl is the one who said that "Kurt Cobain's main focus was the melodie" i just quoted him.
Kurt wasn't trying to be perfect or anything musically he was just trying to do something a little different from what the public was used to.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" was probably the only song Kurt ever written that was about teen angst.
Nirvana is a highly overrated and underrated band at the same time becuz people listen to Nirvana for the wrong reasons and are more interested in Kurt's death than the music itself,
but then theres other people who never really listened to Nirvana and only heard a couple singles they did.
Its all just basically just opinions, if ya don't like Nirvana its alright but people who act like they were the worse band to ever hit the face of the earth are way to judgemental.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure Dave Grohl wasn't just saying that because of the respective place of each bandmember? I mean, Cobain was melody, thats obvious, that one guy was the bass, andGrohl was the rhythm.

In any event i would feel much more highly of the band if it had been said that Cobain focused on the lyrics. I dont know most of them, nor do i really care about the lyrics, but I am damn sure they where 100x better than the so called melody put forth by either Cobain's drones or his guitar's 5 note assault.

No, of course they aren't the worst band of all time, but damn are they ever mediocre musicians. this doesn't mean they where poor entertainers though, I guess if they entertained a whole generation and beyond, they must be decent entertainers.

when it comes to what little I know of the so-called grunge era, I must say i really liked alice in chains (they are grunge right? i get these labels/genres all mixed up -- not important to me).

oh and back onto thetopic of nirvana: Dave grohl should have never picked up a guitar. he is an excellent drummer (queens of the stone-age fans here?) and I could have lived without most of the foo fighter's career (I do like the color and the shape, mainly because it brings back memories).
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... seven pages for a loser junkie who abondoned his kid...

boo-hoo-hoo, the world doesn't understand that I'm an over-privelaged loser making millions for my whining, I think I'll blow my brains out. I swear... only here in America.

That band made me irrationally hate Seattle for years.
Borndead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
are you sure Dave Grohl wasn't just saying that because of the respective place of each bandmember? I mean, Cobain was melody, thats obvious, that one guy was the bass, andGrohl was the rhythm.

In any event i would feel much more highly of the band if it had been said that Cobain focused on the lyrics. I dont know most of them, nor do i really care about the lyrics, but I am damn sure they where 100x better than the so called melody put forth by either Cobain's drones or his guitar's 5 note assault.

No, of course they aren't the worst band of all time, but damn are they ever mediocre musicians. this doesn't mean they where poor entertainers though, I guess if they entertained a whole generation and beyond, they must be decent entertainers.

when it comes to what little I know of the so-called grunge era, I must say i really liked alice in chains (they are grunge right? i get these labels/genres all mixed up -- not important to me).

oh and back onto thetopic of nirvana: Dave grohl should have never picked up a guitar. he is an excellent drummer (queens of the stone-age fans here?) and I could have lived without most of the foo fighter's career (I do like the color and the shape, mainly because it brings back memories).

Kurt Cobain's lyrics were really complex mostley becuz he had bi-polar disorder and thought a different way than other people do,Kurt made bunch of poetry and whenever he needed lyrics sometimes he would chop up some bits and pieces and work from that
I mean if you read the lyrics to "Heart Shaped Box" the song can mean a number of things.
They were mediocer musicians coz I don't think they really cared about making mistakes and being perfectionists, I seen alot of Nirvana's live shows were Kurt forgets the lyrics or one of them plays the wrong song at first and they get kinda screwed up

I think Dave Grohl has been playing guitar for a long time actually, I know he was singing for a long time coz he made one track with Nirvana where he song the entire song "Marigold" i think is the name of it.I really like his singing though its unique and when he sings quiet its gives this eerie mood to it.Guitars are always something to complain about with people becuz there is so many different styles to play a guitar, some people love guitar riffs some don't, some people love solos some don't.

Most grunge bands didn't sound the same at all, i don't think it should have ever became a genre, but alot of Nu Metal bands don't sound all that much the same either, some do some don't.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked up Heart Shaped Box lyrics and they suck.
Repetitive pieces of crap. Any lyrics can mean anything to anyone.

He's talking about how emo he is.. just like every song. :)
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you said it borndead: they wheremediocre becaseu they didn't care.
well there it is then, if they don't care then i don't care. I demand alot more out of people who entertain me.

what the hell is Nu Metal? (everytime a new genre is invented god kills a kitten).

edit: comment on the whole lyrics thing: Billy Joel, now there's a poet!
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
I think you said it borndead: they wheremediocre becaseu they didn't care.
well there it is then, if they don't care then i don't care. I demand alot more out of people who entertain me.

what the hell is Nu Metal? (everytime a new genre is invented god kills a kitten).

edit: comment on the whole lyrics thing: Billy Joel, now there's a poet!

Nu Metal is like rap + metal. I think it's a derivitive of when Public Enemy and Anthrax made some recordings. They were pretty good.

Nu Metal bands:
Korn, Slipknot, etc..
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunge is good. Screaming, playing loud music, talking cryptic rubbish about being miserable. What's not to like?

Now, rap metal. That is awful. Simply because people talking fast in rhymes sucks.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is there a genre for the wanna-be dark stuff, i.e. evenesence or similar?

what about if there is no rhyme, is it then classsified as talk-fast metal?

oh wait, but then there is the possibility of it being on an independent label, making it indie music (and consequently making it 100 times cooler for the i-dont-like-coffee-but-i-like-coffee-shops croud)
ashnikes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank god every day that I have the strength to live on, ten years now after some singer shot himself. I am still alive, and he rots in some damp grave. Life=waiting for death
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: