Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Today is the 10th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 May 2002
Posts: 1087
Location: Helsinki, Finland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

st. anger wrote:
and whats with everybody putting down kurt cobain? he rules. his music is still better than all this crap thats out today.


You know, that is a matter of taste. I have heard Nirvana (who hasn't?), and I fail to be impressed. I can think of LOTS of bands that I like more than Nirvana.
_________________
My tech-blog | My other blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 May 2002
Posts: 298
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bottom line is that Nirvana was never a good band. Their music is typical garage pop. If you really dig Nirvana (Enough to actually mourn Cobain's oh-so tragic death) then chances are you never really got into the garage scene beyond what the mainstream told you was "alternative music".

I suggest looking a bit deeper and checking out bands that existed around the same time and were a lot better anyway. Memphis had/has a great garage rock scene that thrived while Nirvana was rocking the MTV kids' worlds. Check out the Oblivians (Popular Favorites is a good album to start with), Reatards (Teenage Hate), Compulsive Gamblers (Crystal Gazing, Luck Amazing). There are some great "alternative" garage rock bands from Canada too. Namely the Spaceshits, Les Sexareenos, Deadly Snakes. Spaceshits were around during the Nirvana era, and Sexareenos are of course more new (They just broke up). An excellent Spaceshits album is Winter Dance Party and a good Deadly Snakes album to get started on is their latest (which is more r&b rock'n'roll than "alternative") Ode To Joy.

Of course if you're REAL "alternative" fans than you should have NO problems getting into REAL Rock'n'Roll music (the bands I listed, for sure). Make sure you tip your hat at the Devil Dogs (Saturday Night Fever is arguably one of the best albums of the 90s) as they were in existance during Nirvana. Of course don't forget such classics as Turbonegro (Ass Cobra), the Hellacopters (Supershitty to the Max!), New Bomb Turks, etc.

There are *so many* great rock'n'roll bands that nobody (most of you guys I'm sure) really knows. All it takes is a little research and a little love for the MUSIC. Some dead guy who blew out his brains because he couldn't take his oh-so-stressful rockstar lifestyle pales in comparison to these real artists who continue making great music even today.

Look at Pearl Jam, they outsold Nirvana during their prime and you don't see Eddie shooting himself in the face.

Seriously though, check out some of those albums I listed, you definitely won't regret it (If you love Rock'n'Roll!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
warpasaurusREX
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 215
Location: Midwest, USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot_princess123 wrote:
kert koban wuz totly kewl. i likd hiz musc nd he wuz hott!!!!!1

lolz :P :P :P :o


I guess monkeys can manipulate keyboards now.

Seriously.. look at all the posts. They're ALL LIKE THIS!!!

dammit.. 'hiz' isn't even an appreviation!!

I have some major worries about the future of our country..
_________________
Help the unanswered

Please add [solved] to the subject line if your problem is solved.

www.warpasaurusrex.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1339
Location: NJ, 5 minutes from NYC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately true :P

Anyway, just for the record, Nirvana is not really one of my favorite bands, at all. They are just one of the random ones I have on my MP3 player for two songs only :D
_________________
old outdated sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 1064
Location: Watching God spit-shine my boots.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Nirvana live in 93, just before Kurt Cobain ate the gun. They were OK, but their lyrics are fucking depressing, and the guitar work isn't all that impressive. Cobain's not Hendrix.

If you want depressing music, listen to The Cure; at least Robert Smith plays a mean guitar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Satori80
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Feb 2004
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardcore wrote:
You can't ever really quit heroin.


I'm living proof that you are very wrong about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrF
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Aug 2002
Posts: 73
Location: Auckland, NZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainstream rock music in the late 80s sucked, Kurt fixed that.

He also wrote some great songs (if you're lucky enough to have the ability to appreciate music on levels other than just technical ones).

Judgementality is one of the ugliest of teenage emotions. Compassion for other's suffering one of the hardest to have,

imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardcore
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 626
Location: MSU, MI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satori80 wrote:
hardcore wrote:
You can't ever really quit heroin.


I'm living proof that you are very wrong about that.


Good for you, but I didn't mean it in an actual "quit" sense. It was a more, "it never really leaves you" sense. But anyways good for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geeyoff
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3c3it wrote:
i like alot there songs, but that comment about being easy to play its totally true, teens spirit is 3power chords and a solo, easy peasy.


And Pachelbel's "Canon in D" is the most boring and repetetive and simple piece of classical music ever written. GOOD GOD, it's dull. And yet it's one of the most popular pieces ever--everybody's heard it, and everybody who's never had to play it loves it.

Music doesn't have to be complicated or sophisticated to be a really great piece of art.

EDIT: Sorry, d3c3it, my response wasn't directed *specifically* against what you said, but rather, against the general feeling here that Nirvana's music was simple and therefore bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aman9090
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are nuts

Cobain was a revolutionary performer. He was the band who yielded the world's best and most important rock group of the '90s

Cobain was not a good guitar player, but his music was poetry. He had songwriting skills that no one can match, and he had a singing voice unlike anyone else. David Grohl still is my favorite drummer of the '90s. He played his own style, extremely free but still in beat, still gives you a thump but went with the slicky bass riffs. He was simple but had some of the best tallent has ever existed. I am a drummer myself, have been for 8 years now -- I really truly believe Grohl is a musically-tallented man.

Cobain, on the other hand, was able to make some of the most beautiful anthems and poetic songs ever imaginable fueled by his rage given to him from childhood.

All the stupid people are the ones that listened to Teen Spirit and say "this band sucks". I completely agree, Teen Spirit must have been one of Cobain's worst songs ... no wonder he HATED IT! He didn't want to put it on a CD of his for the longest time but had to because the Record Label needed to get a profit or they were booting them from their label deal.

I listened to Nirvana far before they became popular. Nevermind was a great album, but Smells Like Teen Spirit ruined the band. It threw Cobain into a downward spiral of hate and the media pressure was even worse for him. The song that got me into Nirvana was About a Girl, from their first album Bleach. One of my favorite songs of all time. Again, poetic and genious.

Cobain was not a musical man, he was one of the best songwriters of my era, however. They never wanted to be a popular group. They wanted to be what I see them as still -- a revolutionary group of tallented people who never really got the way they wanted.Whether you like it or not, Nirvana, with the help of Cobain's beautiful lyrics, Grohl's excellent drumming, and Noveselik's catchy bass lines, is some of the most tallented musicians to hit this earth, and even more so, one of the most revolutionary rock bands of my time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 May 2002
Posts: 298
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aman9090 wrote:
You guys are nuts

Cobain was a revolutionary performer. He was the band who yielded the world's best and most important rock group of the '90s


I don't agree. You obviously haven't heard a lot of good bands if this is your attitude towards Nirvana songs. Their live show paled so badly in comparison to so many other bands that I have seen (then and now). The energy just wasn't there, ESPECIALLY during the later days. It was more or less a giant cash grab. He destroyed his guitar at the end of their sets (they had squire strats set aside to destroy specifically), and when he did it it just looked so fake and forced. Ugh.

Quote:
Cobain was not a good guitar player, but his music was poetry. He had songwriting skills that no one can match, and he had a singing voice unlike anyone else. David Grohl still is my favorite drummer of the '90s. He played his own style, extremely free but still in beat, still gives you a thump but went with the slicky bass riffs. He was simple but had some of the best tallent has ever existed. I am a drummer myself, have been for 8 years now -- I really truly believe Grohl is a musically-tallented man.


The drumming was simple enough, and the guitar was more or less just power chords, but again, it was nothing more than garage pop, and DID NOT revolutionize *shit*. They were JUST mainstream. If you think they are alone, or even the FIRST in their field then you are horribly incorrect and DO NOT know anything about garage music from the 90s. The band did not grow to basically any degree throughout their albums. They all sounded the same and the energy just *was not* there. It seemed they concentrated more on merch and media spotlights than anything else.

Quote:
Cobain, on the other hand, was able to make some of the most beautiful anthems and poetic songs ever imaginable fueled by his rage given to him from childhood.


Give me a break, his songs all sound forced and bore the living shit outta me.

Quote:
All the stupid people are the ones that listened to Teen Spirit and say "this band sucks". I completely agree, Teen Spirit must have been one of Cobain's worst songs ... no wonder he HATED IT! He didn't want to put it on a CD of his for the longest time but had to because the Record Label needed to get a profit or they were booting them from their label deal.


More examples of how Nirvana was always concentrating on cash over product. Why listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit when you can listen to the Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla?

Quote:
I listened to Nirvana far before they became popular. Nevermind was a great album, but Smells Like Teen Spirit ruined the band. It threw Cobain into a downward spiral of hate and the media pressure was even worse for him. The song that got me into Nirvana was About a Girl, from their first album Bleach. One of my favorite songs of all time. Again, poetic and genious.

Cobain was not a musical man, he was one of the best songwriters of my era, however. They never wanted to be a popular group. They wanted to be what I see them as still -- a revolutionary group of tallented people who never really got the way they wanted.Whether you like it or not, Nirvana, with the help of Cobain's beautiful lyrics, Grohl's excellent drumming, and Noveselik's catchy bass lines, is some of the most tallented musicians to hit this earth, and even more so, one of the most revolutionary rock bands of my time.


You make it sound as if they were forced into doing music videos and forced into all these record contracts and PR shoots and merch deals. They did it all to themselves and I have no pity for 'em. Pearl Jam had the same kind of exposure (note: I'm not a Pearl Jam fan), and they were able to surpass it and continue on making (what some think is) good music for a decade after.

My point is that it sounds like you really don't stray far from mainstream media, and in that case it's a real big shame because you're missing out on a ton of good music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aman9090
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to a HUGE amount of underground bands because they have no tallent. They learn four chords and scream nonsense.

Blue Oyster Colt, far from underground, yet you DO mention them ... they are a great band by the way ;)

I have heard a LOT of groups in my time.

my favorite performers are Pink Floyd, KISS, and Aerosmith. They put on the best shows.

I actually meant that Cobain did some of the best music. Not necsesarily performances... however, Cobain's Unplugged in New York concert was utterly brilliant.

Saying that Nirvana's albums were all the same sounding and the energy wasn't there -- what a load of bullshit. The energy is put into the art of actually performing the song, playing it the best of the abilities they have -- not screaming a lot and yelling nonsense "passionately". Please -- Nirvana was like the BEATLES in the sense that NONE of their albums sounded even minutely the same. Bleach was garage and more soulful music. Nevermind was crap and was too polished. Incesticide was probably their best album because it was the most unique and the passion was up there in high numbers. In Utero was the anguish album - no longer were the songs of teenaged angst, but of suffering and anguish that he suffered from the popularity of his second CD. he never wanted the popularity, whether you liked it or not. Cobain mentions in his suicide letter very obviously that he only continued to do music because he wanted to keep the people who were his fans going. As mentioned by him, he explains that his songs are shitty unless you actually know what they mean -- what he's really trying to say.

Again, you are looking at the band the wrong way. Nirvana was not a band to have a catchy tune, or to sound professional. They were also not there to sound garage. They wanted their own music style .. and they definitely got it. It was Grunge .. they invented it and millions got inspired by the group of just three merely pathetic human beings who were depressed - they were able to channe; their anger and feelings into some of the best music made of that era. Again, you are looking at Nirvana in a musical sense -- this is not what they were. And don't start going on about how since they're a band they should be MUSICALLY tallented, not poetically ... but this is what they are. Cobain had some of the most unique, different, and beautiful songwriting skills of his time. They were fantastic, whether you liked it or not, it was beauty to many others. In fact, it was Nirvana's music solely that got me out of a deep depression state of mind and got me to do better things. Cobain's music has gotten me to better places -- he inspired me -- his music, if you look deeper into it, is depressing for a reason. He wants to show what he was like. His songs mention no hope, anxiety, and other terrible things .. only to hint at the fact that anyone can get over it. Nirvana as a whole represents this idea. That's why, of course, it's called Nirvana -- Cobain found peace and happiness, whether or not it was fake -- by making his music and performing and playing in his band.

Again, you can have different musical tastes, but Nirvana was not supposed to be a musically tallented group -- they were supposed to do poetic song writing. That was Nirvana's main goal. Not the music, but the song itself.

If you want MUSIC, I suggest picking up anything from the '70s. Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Todd Rundgren, the list goes on.

blk_jack: NOTHING offends me more then when someone tells me I don't know music. I am in two bands, both of which sell out at clubs and have CDs that sell brilliantly. Music is just about my life. I have gone through phases but ultimately my music taste has stayed the same, and people like you only have appreciation to one side of the music. There are two sides -- the music, and the lyrics. Both are equally important. Study up on both types and you'll see that some are easier to appreciate than others. I will admit that I didn't like Nirvana until I was able to feel what Cobain went through and realize that there are things that can change. Nirvana's music brought my back to life. DON'T EVER tell me I don't know music. I experience too much of it already, so I don't need to be instructed by you and your type how to listen to and appreciate good music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 May 2002
Posts: 298
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aman9090 wrote:
blk_jack: NOTHING offends me more then when someone tells me I don't know music. I am in two bands, both of which sell out at clubs and have CDs that sell brilliantly. Music is just about my life. I have gone through phases but ultimately my music taste has stayed the same, and people like you only have appreciation to one side of the music. There are two sides -- the music, and the lyrics. Both are equally important. Study up on both types and you'll see that some are easier to appreciate than others. I will admit that I didn't like Nirvana until I was able to feel what Cobain went through and realize that there are things that can change. Nirvana's music brought my back to life. DON'T EVER tell me I don't know music. I experience too much of it already, so I don't need to be instructed by you and your type how to listen to and appreciate good music.


Oh, my TYPE eh? What makes you think that I don't play an instrument, or even, gasp, multiple instruments? What makes you think -I'M- not in a band? That I do actually enjoy the lyrics AND music? What do you think I am, some metal goon that yearns for grunts and screams? You creep, you don't know shit about shit and I don't care if your crappy band sells out crappy shows with their crappy songs that appeal to the masses who don't have a clue about good music to begin with. There's a REASON why most of the best bands these days don't sell out stadiums or large venues, and that's because their audience grew up listening to Nirvana or other generic 90s "grunge" and don't have a damn clue what good rock'n'roll is. Go grab some Elvis records, or some Rolling Stones records, perhaps even Chuck Berry? How about some Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters or BB King? Or get a bit modern with some records from such artists as the Deadly Snakes, Compulsive Gamblers, Reigning Sound, BBQ, Andy G. & The Roller Kings, or the Dirtbombs?

Never heard of those artists? Those last bands ALL released *killer* albums in 2002 & 2003, and that's not even including solo ventures or previous records/bands. If you HAVEN'T heard or those bands then obviously you DO NOT look farther than your local top 40 newrock station for new music because those bands are incredibly well known and successful in their respective genres/scenes. Don't assume that all "garage rock" is screaming and talentless because if you do then you obviously do NOT listen to the genre. None of the bands I mentioned "scream nonsense", so open your eyes and stop making such horrible generalizations.

The reason I mentioned Blue Oyster Cult is because Nirvana BLATENTLY ripped off the Smells Like Teen Spirit RIFF from 'Godzilla', and if you listen to the two tracks you can clearly tell this. Don't even get me started on the other riffs/hooks Kurt ripped off; all you have to do is listen to a few Pixies albums and it should all become much clearer.

Study up on music? You're telling me to study up on music? The reason Nirvana sold/sells so well is because it appeals to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR of music lover. Go listen to Tom Waits or Mick Collins (who?!), take your stereotypes with you, shove 'em up your ass and maybe you'll learn a thing or two about REAL ROCK'n'ROLL and not just whiny newrock, emo or "alternative" bullshit that the record labels spat out and shined up on their shirts for guys like you to download off of Kazaa.

The difference between you and I is that I actually own every Nirvana album, while you probably haven't heard a single track from any of the "garage rock" bands I mentioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aman9090
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't met a single NICE guy who used Gentoo :D You just added yourself to my list.

Anyways, I have heard of EVERYONE you mentioned. I also have their CDs.

I am not really into Elvis -- not my type. However, I have EVERY Rolling Stones CD and I have been to three of their concerts. They are a fantastic band.

See, what you are doing is saying what music styles you like. You don't have to like Nirvana, but you have to keep an open mind about ALL music... or else there's just no point in listening to it. Right?

You have to realize that tallent is expressed in different ways, and that some bands get popular for different reasons. For example, Elvis was popular because he had extremely catchy and popular tunes .. and the girls loved him. The Rolling Stones -- same reason, but the stones also had awesome lyrics.

And please -- top 40? Mainstream music disgusts me. But classic rock is my life. There's a huge difference between Aerosmith and Britney Spears, Christina Aguelara, and the Black Eyed Peas. What do they all have in common? They SUCK! With the acception of BEP, they don't write their own music some of the times (most of the time in Spears' case), and they are basically people to look at... they're crappy dancers too :D

I listen to good music -- however, JUST keep an open mind. Realize where I'm coming from here -- I haven't heard of SOME of those people you mentioned -- but the people that you mentioned I appreciate their music for DIFFERENT reasons than how I appreciate Nirvana's music.

Now, go get a life. And maybe you can start becoming less anti-social and stop calling people creeps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foosh
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 231
Location: STL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
If you want depressing music, listen to The Cure;


...or Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief"


kihaji wrote:
No, I don't need drugs to make me feel better about myself, only pussies do.

on a completely different note, i am disgusted by people who can't respect the fact that things like depression and addiction are not always within the control of the people experiencing them.

some people are, genetically, more susceptible to these diseases than others. would you show such little sympathy for someone born with a learning disability or down's syndrome or autism etc. etc. etc. ?? you probably also think that all homosexuals have chosen to be that way to get attention or something? come on kihaji...puhlease.
_________________
http://wustlog.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ectospasm
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Feb 2003
Posts: 711
Location: Mobile, AL, USA

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kihaji wrote:

Suicide is a selfish cowards way out of a situation, plain and simple. I have no sympathy for people who commit suicide, especially over something as simple and trivial as "fame". I also find it pathetic the people that idolize these cowards. "Oh, doing drugs is ok because he has a lot of pressure, he is famous". "Oh, he can speed and get a DUI because he is famous". Bullshit, these "stars" that act this way are pathetic human beings and don't desrve my respect.


Suicide is also the final symptom of many mental illnesses. Especially those with depression or bipolar disorder, both of which are quite common. If you've never been to the darkest, deepest depths of depression, or never reached the astronomical heights of mania, you have no right to declare that suicide is a pussy's action.

Only reason I am alive today is because suicide didn't cross my mind when I was sick. I am continually reminded how lucky I am.
_________________
Join the adopt an unanswered post initiative today
Join the EFF!
Join the Drug Policy Alliance!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snowbum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Mar 2004
Posts: 127
Location: peace

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I didn't commit suicide is because I don't believe in myself. I know I can't make it through the darkness all on my own. I believe in the Saviour of mankind, and He has helped me more times than I can remember. In fact Christ helps me on a daily basis.

I do pitty those that commit sucide. However it is not the way out of the darkness. By commiting sucide, one is only giving in to the darkness.

Christ is the light. If you ever feel depressed, call upon Jesus to help you. Suicde is quiting. There is no excuse for not being irresponsible. One must be responsible for all ones actions. This in itself seems imposible. However, it is possible with divine help.

The world grows darker every day. Only those who do not focus on it, but rather focus on the light, will survive. The rest will be washed away into the darkness. Survival is not an issue. The issue is what do you desire: light or darkness? If you desire darkness, then you are from the darkness. If you desire light, you are from the light and need not to fear the darkness, because it has no power over the light.

It's just that simple.

God bless you all! Peace on Earth towards men of good will.
_________________
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 10974
Location: the dutch mountains

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowbum wrote:
It's just that simple.
No it's not.
_________________
Please add [solved] to the initial post's subject line if you feel your problem is resolved. Help answer the unanswered

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snowbum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Mar 2004
Posts: 127
Location: peace

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, nixnut, how complicated is it then? Are you confused? Are there factors other than light and darkness? What was the last book you read?
_________________
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omadon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirvana was the only band I ever thought was good.
Granted, there are some pretty decent bands out there, and some good singles, but no other band really lived up to the phenomenon that was Nirvana. I still listen to his music on my ride to campus in fact :)
It's a shame he killed himself :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AgentMascan
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 May 2004
Posts: 29
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to believe that this thread wasn't intended to be about whether or not Kurt Cobain sucks or is ultra kewl, what bands suck/rock, who is stupid for liking Nirvana, etc.

Kurt Cobain seemed to have it rough. Perhaps he went overboard when it came to being depressed, but he did commit suicide after he shot up some heroine (which I don't recommend doing either), and its been my experience that depressed people usually have pretty good reasons.

I don't even really like much of their music, but hey, he was a free-willed warm blooded person just like all of us, and it's sad any of it had to happen, and I hope it's better for him on the other side, as it should be for all of us. So here's to Kobain.
_________________
Day 6 and my Skittles are still nowhere to be found. I fear for tommorrow, for I shall not be able to taste the rainbow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AgentMascan
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 May 2004
Posts: 29
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowbum wrote:
So, nixnut, how complicated is it then? Are you confused? Are there factors other than light and darkness? What was the last book you read?

I'm with you in believing that there is no gray area between light and darkness, but the way you said what you just said isn't a good way to win anyone over. These forums would be a much nicer place if people would give there opinions in a way that says, "Hey this is what I believe, it'd be cool if you'd consider it," and not drive a stake of "I'm right because you're blind and stupid" through people's opinions/beliefs.
_________________
Day 6 and my Skittles are still nowhere to be found. I fear for tommorrow, for I shall not be able to taste the rainbow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 10974
Location: the dutch mountains

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, very well.

snowbum wrote:
The only reason I didn't commit suicide is because I don't believe in myself. I know I can't make it through the darkness all on my own. I believe in the Saviour of mankind, and He has helped me more times than I can remember. In fact Christ helps me on a daily basis.
Good for you, but what works for you is not guaranteed to work for everybody.

Quote:
I do pitty those that commit sucide. However it is not the way out of the darkness. By commiting sucide, one is only giving in to the darkness.
I don't agree. First of all, usually the suicidee does not want to die per se, he/she wants to end the way he/she is living. In most cases trying to commit suicide is a desperate cry for help. In some cases the believe that help or change is possible has completely gone and the person tries to end the unbearable situation by the only means he/she sees.


Quote:
Christ is the light. If you ever feel depressed, call upon Jesus to help you. Suicde is quiting. There is no excuse for not being irresponsible.
Do you hold children responsible for all their behaviour? Or their parents in some cases. Is somebody who has a low enough iq to be considered an idiot responsible for all his/her actions? The judicial system seems to think not. I agree.

Quote:
One must be responsible for all ones actions. This in itself seems imposible. However, it is possible with divine help.

I disagree, see above. I believe that persons that actually do try to commit suicide can no longer be responsible for all their actions. They have mental problems of such proportions that they are no longer capable of functioning as a full member of society.

Quote:
The world grows darker every day. Only those who do not focus on it, but rather focus on the light, will survive.The rest will be washed away into the darkness. Survival is not an issue.
Survival is exactly the issue. Survival is hard. A lot of people have a very hard time dealing with the world. Some simply cannot cope with the complications that are thrown at them.

Quote:
The issue is what do you desire: light or darkness? If you desire darkness, then you are from the darkness. If you desire light, you are from the light and need not to fear the darkness, because it has no power over the light.
It's just that simple.

Again, no it is not. Your trite mantra may work for you, but it's a string of empty words for most people. People are complex beings with complex minds that may go wrong in complex ways. Choosing for light holds no meaning for them. It is a hollow phrase with no bearing on their circumstances. And even if it were, they might simply be so stuck in their problems that they cannot recognise that such choice exists.

People with suicidal tendencies have very serious problems. They need help to find a way to a different situation. Helping them change the way they look at themselves and the world can help a lot. But not always. Sometimes a person cannot be helped no matter how hard you try. And saying it's just a choice of light over dark is, well, bs.

To conclude, I think your "It's as simple as that" is a rather stupid remark.
_________________
Please add [solved] to the initial post's subject line if you feel your problem is resolved. Help answer the unanswered

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spectrum
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Posts: 52
Location: ::1/128

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ectospasm wrote:


Suicide is also the final symptom of many mental illnesses. Especially those with depression or bipolar disorder, both of which are quite common. If you've never been to the darkest, deepest depths of depression, or never reached the astronomical heights of mania, you have no right to declare that suicide is a pussy's action.

Only reason I am alive today is because suicide didn't cross my mind when I was sick. I am continually reminded how lucky I am.


The only reason I'm alive today is because my dog nudged my arm when I had the barrel in my mouth. This happened to be my grandma's dog that became my best buddy after she died of cancer. I couldn't pull the trigger looking into that dogs eyes.

I'm thankful now, but then I resented the dog. Oh well.

And on a very VERY VERY personal note: suicide is not necessarily a matter of cowardice. I think its more a feeling of hopelessness. You feel as if you are trapped where you are at and especially when your parents don't pay attention....well...

My parents were pretty attentive, but they passed my depression off as a phase. I could stand now and argue either way, but at the time it felt very real. Even if it's not true, a lack of the feeling of love is very painful and impossible to go on with. My parents don't know to this day that I had a gun in my mouth, and I'd like to keep it that way, simply because I don't feel the same as I did then. I can't say that Jesus saved me, in fact "He" was part of the reason I almost blew myself away. What it took was a companion.

I still miss that dog..that was 5 years ago.
_________________
Registered Linux User #358898

Designed to pull more than inward
Crippled by love and the girl...
And for once the dunce in the class
Could learn to be more of less - Nick Blazina

irc://freenode#otw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snowbum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Mar 2004
Posts: 127
Location: peace

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:

People are complex beings with complex minds that may go wrong in complex ways. Choosing for light holds no meaning for them. It is a hollow phrase with no bearing on their circumstances. And even if it were, they might simply be so stuck in their problems that they cannot recognise that such choice exists.


Well, I guess I'm such a simple guy. I find comfort in simplicity. I avoid the complex. I find no light in the complex.

So, I'm sorry if my remarks were cold. I just thought that it could be that simple for everyone. I really wish it were. I really like to help people. By saying those things, I did not mean that people don't need help, compassion, love, care, acceptence, forgivness, encouragement, praise, companionship, understanding, honesty, and all of those good things.

I see all those things in the light. I don't believe they come from the darkness.

I'm very sad that the world has become such a dark place that many many people cannot not find the light and have never experienced it.

I wish you all the best. I pray that each one can find there way to happiness, love, life, joy, peace, and peace of mind.
_________________
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum