update-modules broke my system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pindrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: update-modules broke my system Reply with quote

I was installing Alsa and just updated the alsa config and ran update-modukes as the Desktop Guide says. Now when I boot it doesn't load my other modules and I can't login because my keyboard wont print what I type. How do I restore my old modules.autoload or whatever it borked? The modules I need are input, mousedev, hid, usb-ohci, and the NVdriver.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the instructions in here to boot off the install CD to try to manually fix the problem.
Pindrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually after thinking about this for a second, if it tries to load the modules that means the modules.autoload file is fine, so what happened to my modules? In the meantime I'm gonna try and fix it from the CD.
Pindrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone that can tell me how to get my modules to load again, or tell me what exactly update-modules does. I can load the system from the gentoo cd and chroot to my system, I just don't know how to fix it. I've tried recompiling my kernel to see if it would re-install the modules, thinking that might be it, but it didn't fix it.
eivinn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man update-modules?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain of the exact steps, but I'm thinking the 'make modules' part of the kernel build might be what you need. Maybe a search in that direction will turn up some useful results... I'm sure I've read it here before.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think kanuslupus is referring to the "make modules_install" part of the kernel config. Hopefully eivinn's pointer to the update-modules man page was helpful. A couple of other notes: sometimes I have had Gentoo systems get into a state where it won't load modules at startup because it failed to recognize the format of /etc/modules.conf and refused to update it. If this is happening to you, you can run:
Code:
# update-modules force

Also, I would recommend that if you can, compile everything that you need to use the machine in to the kernel directly, if you can. Modules are far more fragile.
Winter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that in my own experience with Gentoo (using devfs) compiling into the kernel, rather than as modules, is definitely preferable. I was completely unable to get my Aiptek 12000U tablet functioning using module support (as the writer of the driver suggests), but compiled in the kernel the driver works fine. I had the same problem with bttv support -- got nowhere with modules, works great in the kernel.

Obviously, not everything belongs in the kernel. 'ide-cd' causes no end of trouble, see http://linux-sxs.org/bedtime/cdburn.html
for a good, informative article on "IDE" cd burners.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: