ALSASound on laptop - speakers problem - solved
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fd2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: ALSASound on laptop - speakers problem - solved Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I just put this post here to keep other people from searching a lot to solve this kind of problem:

I recently bought a DELL inspiron laptop, and installed gentoo on it. Everything worked just fine, except from the fact that I could not get any sound out of the laptop speakers. The headphone did work though, so the problem was not because of an ALSA driver issue.

After some searching on the web and talking in the IRC gentoo channel I found the solution to the problem.

In fact AfC on the gentoo forum came up with the solution:

When you open the alsamixer settings (just type alsamixer on a commandline) you'll find a setting called "External Amplifier Power Down".

After putting this "off" (just press "m", after selecting the appropriate mixersetting) everything worked as it should :P

Thanks, AfC!

Greetz, fd2k.
afcowie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Happened to me on a Toshiba Portege 4010 Reply with quote

Just to help other people with different search terms, where I encountered this was on a Toshiba Portege 4010. See my comment at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=152592.

AfC
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - Just merged kernel 2.6.6-rc1 and it looks like they've inverted it since 2.6.4 - it now needs the External Amplifier UN-Muted - to get the sound.

Ho Hum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: